Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JONNY!

Accutane and Flushing...

Hi all! basically i started taking roaccutane about 2 months ago (40mg for first month and 70 mg since then). My skin is a bit better i think..still waiting on this miracle that most people are talking about but im still trying to be optimistic. However i now have a new, very distressing problem:( Whenever i get slightly embarassed i can feel my whole face getting warmer and warmer untl it is actually burning. Before accutane i used to blush sometimes, but it was never this bad. Now it goes so fucking red and everyone can notice..i dont know what to do anymore. Im now living my life in constant fear that im about to have a major flush, so much so that as im writing this ive started crying. It's happening at least once a day now and people are commenting on it...i really dont know what to do. I can't stop accutane because my acne got me down enough in the first place and it hasnt gone yet.

Please can anyone give me some advice? Has anyone else had the same thing?

Try not to think about it. Like Waynerooney said, a big part of the problem is that you're very self-concious that you're going to do it, and you do it probably because you're so scared of doing it. Self-fulfilling prophecy?

This is a side effect of tane - I know what you're going through. I've always blushed more easily than others, but now it's really bad. Even if I'm driving in my car and I think of something that could possibly put me into an awkward situation, I blush bright red. By myself. It's crazy! I'm a confident person, but the blushing is frustrating.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there's anything you can do. I'm just learning to deal with it and accept it, and look forward to the days when it doesn't have to happen anymore, and I have clear skin!!

Chin up, you're not alone!

I have the same thing. SUCKS BIG TIME. It is making me avoid a lot of social situations and i hate it! I just got back from the gym and i looked like a walking tomato. Knowing that clear skin is a few months away is the only thing that is getting me going.

Okay i don't know if this will really help, but i noticed that after working out, my skintone loses almost all of its redness. Maybe if you work out in the morning, your blood will circulate better to all other parts of your body and you won't flush as easily?

Okay i don't know if this will really help, but i noticed that after working out, my skintone loses almost all of its redness. Maybe if you work out in the morning, your blood will circulate better to all other parts of your body and you won't flush as easily?

That's a good idea. Also, drinking plenty of water helps.

I donno, my face went pretty red after getting a hard work out. If you're talking about flushing like 2 hours after a workout after a rest, then yeah, maybe working out will help in the long run.

Flushing is a bitch, it was the biggest problem I had with tane. It is worth it though. Drink lots of water.

hey RightoK - yeah, my face is red while and right after working out... but i notice that it decreases long term flushing, and also decreases anxiety which can lead to flushing. Are you off accutane now? if so, how quickly did the flushing subside?

I have been off accutane since Friday of last week, that is what, like November 10th. The flushing hasn't subsided completely but I am not getting that "holy shit my face is on fire" feeling I got during the last 2 months of accutane. My marks still glow pretty hcore if I smoke up and I haven't smoked up in a while.

Samething happened to me. I went from feeling flushed to have having almost full fledge hot flashes. I've been post tane since 10/28 and the flashes have subsided but I still get facial flushes occiasionally...

Samething happened to me. I went from feeling flushed to have having almost full fledge hot flashes. I've been post tane since 10/28 and the flashes have subsided but I still get facial flushes occiasionally...

HMM...this is very interesting! I posted something on HYPERYDROSIS, which is what I have, where i sweat alot and I get flushed really bad in awkward social situations, or just random situations. Hmm...i'm still on my mission just to get a HOLD of accutane, but since I already have these symptoms then I wonder what they would be like while ON accutane...hmm... any info? Yeah so the weird flushing is HYPERHYDROSIS, there's a surgery for it I hear :)

Yep. I had really BAD flushing whilst on tane too, nothing you can do about it. It dies down after you come off it, I still get them but no where near as bad. I had ppl comment it all the time, it was worse than the acne. It should be a more known/listed side effect, as its not just facial redness. I hope you learn to cope with it better, maybe try some anti redness moisterising, wont do much but still its something.

Would you lower your dosage at the risk of relapsing? No you wouldn't. Start trying things first that have been mentioned here. Do some breathing exercises or something when you really start to get nervous. Otherwise, just consider this as one of the bitch factors that comes with the accutane territory.

LOLOL Haha i know what you mean exactly!

ALL THE TIME AT WORK, ALL THE TIME, if somebody asked me 1 tiny little question like whats my situation with girls am Idating or what not, every time they'd say AWWW LOOK MATT'S BLUSHING, and I didn't get embarrased and I wasn't even really in a blushing state, I'll admit I felt slightly uncomfortable, I mean common, I was an ugly bastard and people are askin me about girls how was i supposed to feel lol. But people would always say he's blushing or gettin nervous, when I really thought it was just the accutane. I wanted to say im not blushing, its my fuckin red blemishes you see lol.

Well im feeling slightly better today now that i realise its not just me thats going through this :) There's no way im packing in the tane though. What are these Beta Blocker things ive heard of? Apparently they reduce flushing but are they just for after you have finished accutane?

I think SSRI's like Prozac & Zoloft do slightly the same thing to blushing as beta-blockers. I don't see why there is any reason you couldn't go on one now if its causing a problem.

Hi all! basically i started taking roaccutane about 2 months ago (40mg for first month and 70 mg since then). My skin is a bit better i think..still waiting on this miracle that most people are talking about but im still trying to be optimistic. However i now have a new, very distressing problem:( Whenever i get slightly embarassed i can feel my whole face getting warmer and warmer untl it is actually burning. Before accutane i used to blush sometimes, but it was never this bad. Now it goes so fucking red and everyone can notice..i dont know what to do anymore. Im now living my life in constant fear that im about to have a major flush, so much so that as im writing this ive started crying. It's happening at least once a day now and people are commenting on it...i really dont know what to do. I can't stop accutane because my acne got me down enough in the first place and it hasnt gone yet.

Please can anyone give me some advice? Has anyone else had the same thing?

My derm is thinking about adding accutane to my regimen- for rosacea specifically. The dose however would be no more than 10 mg and perhaps less. It sounds as if you are on too high a dose. Ask your derm what he/she thinks. Good luck!

I think SSRI's like Prozac & Zoloft do slightly the same thing to blushing as beta-blockers. I don't see why there is any reason you couldn't go on one now if its causing a problem.

thats a weak reason to take another drug with even more side effects. so what you blush more, does anybody really care? the answer is no.

SSRI's and beta-blockers are serious drugs with serious side effects - unless this blushing is causing people bad psychological damage then it's really unnecessary, they're not just pills to pop without thinking twice.

I know what you guys are going through.

I'm over a year post tane, and I blush at just about anything. I hate going into a room full of people I know, because if someone says anything I'll end up blushing. Even when I talk to someone I know person to person, something will make me turn bright red. Or in class if a teacher calls on me, or mentions my name I'll blush. I NEVER did this pretane. I think I worry about it so much it makes it worse.

SSRI's and beta-blockers are serious drugs with serious side effects - unless this blushing is causing people bad psychological damage then it's really unnecessary, they're not just pills to pop without thinking twice.

Sorry - i should have clarified. I already have anxiety disorder and problems with blushing before I started Accutane. However, its gotten much worse since I have started. That's why I am thinking about going back on for a while. I'm not recommending people just go on them to stop the blushing.

My dose got lowered to 20mg because of the flushing, but... it really didnt make a big difference but I didnt stay with that low does for long, because all it does it lengthen out your course and I wanted to be rid of it.