Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hiddenbeauty

Experiences with Dermatologists

Over the past year I went to see a Derm. and I was not satisfied I was in the waiting room longer than I was in his office. And when i finally went into his office he asked me more personal questions(i.e. my job about school) than about my acne problem, so i decided to see another Derm. hoping that my experience would be different, but it was basically the same thing i wait for 20 -30 min. and I'm in there for 5-10 and 10 might even be a stretch. I don't feel like as if I'm really listened to when I'm explaining to them my problems its just hurry up give out the medicine and go to the next patient. I feel more like a number than an actual person with a problem. Well my question is, is every Derm. like this or is it just mine?

My derm was nice as hell.

I had to wait like 20 min, but come on guys what the hell kind of complaint is this, tell me a doctor or dentist where you HAVENT had to wait for liek 20 min, this is standard and not something to cry about.

Anyway, i got in there and he assessed the situation, he asked me wether i get mostly superficial zits or deep cysts etc.

I answered him and shot the sh1t with him for a couple minutes while he was writing out prescriptions. He explained eachone to me and said thered be some handouts with the medicine when i got it. I thanked him and he told me to see him in 3 months.

Pretty good experience.

My derm was nice as hell.

I had to wait like 20 min, but come on guys what the hell kind of complaint is this, tell me a doctor or dentist where you HAVENT had to wait for liek 20 min, this is standard and not something to cry about.

Anyway, i got in there and he assessed the situation, he asked me wether i get mostly superficial zits or deep cysts etc.

I answered him and shot the sh1t with him for a couple minutes while he was writing out prescriptions. He explained eachone to me and said thered be some handouts with the medicine when i got it. I thanked him and he told me to see him in 3 months.

Pretty good experience.

Btw derms arent there to listen to all your problems, if thats the case go see a therapist. Derms are there to assess the situation and deal with it. Your not the only person they need to help. If they sat around and acted as your emotional tampon nothing would get done.

My derm's very business, not very personal and overall a bit of a prick, but at he's moderatley honest...

I went to my doctor opposed to a derm, he was incredibly understanding and helpful...

Guest Crooked I

I was at my doctors to get something else treated, and it was him who suggested i get something done about the spots.

In a way, im glad i got that ingrown toenail biggrin.gif/

:-s either the same thing happened to you as it did to me, or that was a blatent piss take evil.gif

biggrin.gif

They usually send in my derms 'side kick' doctor first who is the most caring doctor I've met and actually listens to my concerns. Then my derm, who is very impersonal but knowledgeable, writes the prescriptions. Overall I can't complain.

Its been my experience dermatologists don't vary much. They're all educated with the same material, licensed by the same govt, courted by the same drug companies and have a comfy monopoly.

Most Derms just go by the book and throw you out a few pils before looking into the actual triggers off your acne.

The best dermatologist is in actual fact YOURSELF!......nobody knows your skin better than you.

Choose the correct Routine that suits you best... ie ......skin cleanser etc.

Find one that works and stick to it.

I've been on every drug under the sun and nothing has cured me permanent.

I believe a proper skin routine is the best way of controling your acne effectively.

Drink 4 pints of water daily aswell...at regular intervals.

Guest Crooked I
What you mean the toenail part?

Yes... I went to the doc about an ingrowing toenail and ended up talking to him about anti-biotics :-s

Yeah, same here.

I went to a derm, waited like an hour, just to go in for 5 mins and hear him say \" ohh your skin isnt that bad \" and give me some crappy medicine. Waste of time.

yea, my derm is is whacko. he's like, "ah, i see, acne. yes, a problem i see in many teens these days." then he rambles on about the technicals of acne, with the oil glands and pupole crap. then he's like "take this cleanser and cream." he barely looked at my back and chest, where most of my acne is bad now.

well now my acne is basically completely gone. i've been suffering from red marks for about 2 years, that's really my problem. so i been hittin up mad older biddies.