Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kawazygal

Being dependant on BP

Hi, I've been using BP (but a UK type) for 2 and a half years now at least. My skin was pretty flawless for most of that time. I thought that maybe I would have grown out of my acne now seen as I will be 20 soon....so recently I had stopped using the BP so much. Well after a couple of weeks now my skin got bad again =( I got a break out of 5 big spots and about 25 bumpy things and loads of bigggg blackheads all round my mouth and cheek. Looked nearly as bad as I did those few years ago before I started using BP. So last night I gave in and put on loads of BP, now my skin looks LOADS better already. This just proves to me that my good skin WAS all down to the BP use.....and that I'm not one of those lucky people who grow out of their acne. :doubt:

The thing is I don't want to rely on this product forever......I like to use sunless tanners but the BP stops the sunless tanner from working by bleaching my skin. It makes my skin sooo pale and I've just dyed my hair dark so I look too washed out.

God knows what would happen if BP got discontinued, I wouldn't leave the house :wall: I am grateful I have a product which works for me but will I have to rely on this one product till i'm like 40 or something :wacko:

I'm in a similar position... 20 years old and the Spots are still coming as strong as they have for the past 4 years... but the BP keeps me 90% clear.

I don't look forward to relying on BP for the rest of my life.... but I would prefer not to go down the Accutane route.. one day I may snap and just do it.

:wall:

I'll have to do without BP for quite a while, as I suddenly can't pay with my own card anymore. I need a security code/key which I don't have. Do'h...

So I'll have to borrow my dad's card, and I hate to ask for it. Embaressing...

Don't hope I'll break out too badly :confused:

Acne can be very persistent in some people, and as frustrating as that is, at least you have found something that works for you! As long as it is working, just keep on with it. Every year or two go off and see how your skin does if you want to, but since there is really no way to predict when your acne will naturally burn itself out, all you can really do is keep it under control.

The thing is you hafta give your skin a fair amount of time to adjust to life without BP. Your skin has been on it for so long it needs time to heal. The first couple of weeks yes you will breakout like crazy but then things will calm down. I was on BP for years but the time, money, and side effects finally became too much and I quit it about 2 months ago. I broke out EVERYWHERE, places never before, became super oily, dry skin, it wasn't pretty. Today I still have a lot of redmarks and daily whiteheads but I understand it'll take more time but things are improving. It'll take time, months, for the skin to fully heal so if you do decide to go off BP just be prepared for a few rough weeks.

thats not true for everone at all.

i went without bp for two months, and by the end i was dreadful. i gave it a few weeks, it didnt heal. There might be a few people who "need to heal," but to say people can just do without and be fine is wrong. not everyone can.

This is the only thing that bothers me about using BP, can you grow out of acne once ur using BP? does the skin become dependant on it? if so then id rather quit now n go on accutane as i know that nothing else will work

Hi, I've been using BP (but a UK type) for 2 and a half years now at least. My skin was pretty flawless for most of that time. I thought that maybe I would have grown out of my acne now seen as I will be 20 soon....so recently I had stopped using the BP so much. Well after a couple of weeks now my skin got bad again =( I got a break out of 5 big spots and about 25 bumpy things and loads of bigggg blackheads all round my mouth and cheek. Looked nearly as bad as I did those few years ago before I started using BP. So last night I gave in and put on loads of BP, now my skin looks LOADS better already. This just proves to me that my good skin WAS all down to the BP use.....and that I'm not one of those lucky people who grow out of their acne. :doubt:

The thing is I don't want to rely on this product forever......I like to use sunless tanners but the BP stops the sunless tanner from working by bleaching my skin. It makes my skin sooo pale and I've just dyed my hair dark so I look too washed out.

God knows what would happen if BP got discontinued, I wouldn't leave the house :wall: I am grateful I have a product which works for me but will I have to rely on this one product till i'm like 40 or something :wacko:

It wont become discontinued as it is such a useful treatment which is also used as a bleaching agent.

You wont become reliant on it, but would need it to manage your acne until you grow out of it.

Echema sufferes have been using steriod creams for ages, without them they have painfully dry skin, but they learn to use these creams as a treatment when hopefully there skin will become less sensitive.

Acne is a disease, bp is a treatment for it, diet can help control it but isnt a cure, topicals still are needed

Acne is a disease, bp is a treatment for it, diet can help control it but isnt a cure, topicals still are needed

I don't think acne is a disease. Rather I see it as our bodies telling us something is wrong, whether diet, exercise, lack of sleep, allergy, etc. Sometimes the cause is hard to find and then even harder to correct for many people so instead of finding it they just use BP to try and kill it altogether. It's understandable though, cuz let's say junk food is the cause, well some people would rather put on topicals than give up candy.

I don't think acne is a disease. Rather I see it as our bodies telling us something is wrong, whether diet, exercise, lack of sleep, allergy, etc. Sometimes the cause is hard to find and then even harder to correct for many people so instead of finding it they just use BP to try and kill it altogether. It's understandable though, cuz let's say junk food is the cause, well some people would rather put on topicals than give up candy.

I dont agree, there are many different skin diseases out there and they cant be cured just because you eat better. Nobody knows the main causes of acne and yes maybe diet can make it worse as can stress, but it still needs to be managed.

;)

but will I have to rely on this one product till i'm like 40 or something :wacko:

You're probably going to be relying on toothpaste til you're 40 & older for your teeth, deoderant for your underarms, shampoo for your hair, etc...

Someone brought that up in another thread & I thought it was a good point. There's a lot of products we "rely" on to keep us presentable & clean. If BP is what it takes for clear skin then it's just another product in our daily beauty/hygiene routines.

but will I have to rely on this one product till i'm like 40 or something :wacko:

You're probably going to be relying on toothpaste til you're 40 & older for your teeth, deoderant for your underarms, shampoo for your hair, etc...

Someone brought that up in another thread & I thought it was a good point. There's a lot of products we "rely" on to keep us presentable & clean. If BP is what it takes for clear skin then it's just another product in our daily beauty/hygiene routines.

I have heard that extended use of bp can cause damage to your skin, similar to how sunlight causes wrinkles, etc. (i.e. note the "hardening effect" of bp...similar to a sunburn at the beginning of the summer). Also I've heard that bp may be a carcinogen! What do you guys thinK? - I've been using bp for almost a year now and I also tried to stop using it recently, only to have my acne come back. I'm not sure what to do!

People argue that toothpaste is bad for you if you use it everyday, people say deoderant can cause cancer, shampoo can cause disease. Whatever it is you use someone will always find some evidence that it is harming you. My view is you must compare the cost and benefits of a product...BP causes cancer and wrinkles? It also prevents my acne from stopping me leave the house, it allows me to live my life to the full while I still have acne. There is no way I'd stop using it on account that it may, perhaps cause cancer. As Dan said BP has been used for 70+ years successfully, have there been widespread cases of cancer caused by it? No or else it wouldn't be on sale :angel:

But everyone is different, its up to you if you want to drop clearer skin on the basis of proposed BP side effects.

You should still be able to use fake tan, you just need to have an 8 hour period where you can apply it and not use the BP for those 8 hours. Tan towel is pretty good and actually makes your skin appear smoother and you can use it all over your body.

Regarding being dependant on BP for the rest of your life, I'd rather be dependent on BP for the rest of my life than spend the rest of my life with shit skin and trying product ater product that doesn't work.

I know it's not ideal, but it's definitely better than spots.

The thing is you hafta give your skin a fair amount of time to adjust to life without BP. Your skin has been on it for so long it needs time to heal. The first couple of weeks yes you will breakout like crazy but then things will calm down. I was on BP for years but the time, money, and side effects finally became too much and I quit it about 2 months ago. I broke out EVERYWHERE, places never before, became super oily, dry skin, it wasn't pretty. Today I still have a lot of redmarks and daily whiteheads but I understand it'll take more time but things are improving. It'll take time, months, for the skin to fully heal so if you do decide to go off BP just be prepared for a few rough weeks.

OKay guys I think you have to understand that BP is a CHEMICAL!! It is destroying the proctective layer that your skin has in the first place, so when you go off BP your skin is going to go crazy cause there's nothign there to protect it. I went off BP almost 6 months ago after I was on it for 7 months and my skin STILL shows side effect from being on BP. I have lots of red marks now... ugh...

sometimes i think that bp prevents your skin from outgrowing acne....

I agree.

I also agree.

OKay guys I think you have to understand that BP is a CHEMICAL!! It is destroying the proctective layer that your skin has in the first place, so when you go off BP your skin is going to go crazy cause there's nothign there to protect it. I went off BP almost 6 months ago after I was on it for 7 months and my skin STILL shows side effect from being on BP. I have lots of red marks now... ugh...

ive been off it for 2 months after being on it for around 4 years and im breakout galore at the moment. The signs arent good. Im gonna wait out as long as i can and see if i can be BP free

I have heard that extended use of bp can cause damage to your skin, similar to how sunlight causes wrinkles, etc. (i.e. note the "hardening effect" of bp...similar to a sunburn at the beginning of the summer). Also I've heard that bp may be a carcinogen! What do you guys thinK? - I've been using bp for almost a year now and I also tried to stop using it recently, only to have my acne come back. I'm not sure what to do!

I dont have the supposed side effects of "hardening" or wrinkles from BP. BP dries my skin a little, I use a good amount of a moisturizer with an AHA & I also use jojoba oil, then my skin returns to normal (minus as many pimples), the end. I've used 2.5% BP on & off for 7 years & in much harsher regimen combinations (combining it with SA, etc.) than DKR & my skin always looks best when I use BP. No other over the counter acne treatment works as well & I would rather deal with a bit of dryness sometimes than an acne ridden face.

I have no idea why some people's skin gets wrinkles from BP, unless they dont moisturize enough or are just aging prematurely anyway. My skin is pretty sensitive, but maybe I am just lucky to not have that side effect.

All of the supposed dangers of BP are mostly speculation. There's little hard facts behind any of it. The only thing to be careful about is sun exposure, which everyone should be careful about nowadays anyway. Wear sunblock. Problem solved.

I feel this way as well. I'd like to be able to get off of BP someday. My family genetics have acne occuring into the 50s and beyond, however. So, I have been on BP for 20 years straight. But I think it's a lot better than breaking out.

However, since I would also like to be able to get off of BP I am trying a very strict diet and I hesitatingly think it's working. You can see my log on the personal regimen logs forum: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=119661

If this diet works, at least we'll all have an alternative. The only thing is, the diet is very strict and I don't think most people will want to follow it. I eat only organic veggies, fish, seafood, meat (grass fed if possible), nuts, olive and canola oil. That's it.

But if you think about it...if diet is what's causing acne, then unless we change our diet, thus eliminating the pore clogging and inflammation that characterize the acne lifecycle, we're likely going to continue needing a topical regimen.