Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dee25

Dermabrasion or Needling

Hi,

I'm new on the boards and would like some advice on methods for reducing acne scarring. My problem area is my cheeks. I'm looking into either dermabrasion, chemobrasion (tca plus dermabrasion) or needling? I'm in the UK, near London and really not sure where to go to for this. I keep hearing good things about Dr Chu, is he any good? :think:

I've already had Erbium laser resurfacing with minimal results and I almost had a phenol peel last year, but decided against it as it was just too drastic and the whole procedure was just so extreme...you had to wear a mask for 2 days and spend 3-5 days in hospital!

I've also had two session of subcision and fat grafting, all to no avail...the scars don't look any better. It's so aggravating, I just wish there was something to help. :cry:

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

Dee

P.S. I also use Obagi products.

Do not underestimate the down time and the risks of resurfacing procedures like dermabrasion or exoderm. Beware of "doctors" who say your skin will improve and return to normal color within a few months after resurfacing. For live examples, read the threads in my sig.

Do not underestimate the down time and the risks of resurfacing procedures like dermabrasion or exoderm. Beware of "doctors" who say your skin will improve and return to normal color within a few months after resurfacing. For live examples, read the threads in my sig.

Thanks for youre reply!

The doc I saw about the phenol peel was pretty straight with me about the downtime, he said I would have to stay out of the sun permanently and will be red for many months and that my colour may not return for some time, if at all. The real reason I wanted it done, was not so much that I thought it would reduce the depth of the scars, but thought that it might have some skin tightening benefits, which would at least improvement their appearance.

However, the threads in your sig have definitely made me very cautious of either procedure, thanks.

Dee

I am glad the threads makes you think twice.

Dermabrasion, Exoderm and Ablative Lasers basically burn off your skin. Practitioners may claim the burning is controlled, but burn is burn. There is a reason that burn victim's burned skin look different than unburned skin.

I am glad the threads makes you think twice.

Dermabrasion, Exoderm and Ablative Lasers basically burn off your skin. Practitioners may claim the burning is controlled, but burn is burn. There is a reason that burn victim's burned skin look different than unburned skin.

Very true, the last thing you want to end up with is even more scarring than you started with!

Dee