Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craig

Craig's Roaccutane Log

Well today I took a trip to see my derm, and returned home with a batch for 6 weeks of 60mg Roaccutane! On Monday I'll go and have my blood test done, and following my derms request; shall leave it two weeks before I begin my treatment of Roaccutane.

Until then I will continue with my treatment of 4 x 250mg Erythromycin per day using Retin-A cream which I apply once every night.

I shall keep a log of my events here, but don't expect many more posts now until I begin my course of the 'superdrug'.

That's all for now!

Adios!

Uhh, well since I have started this log I guess I should keep an update of what's going on...

Well on Monday I had my bloodtest, which was a horrible experience as I HATE needles so so much...

It's now Thursday 23rd and I can start taking the drug from December 4th unless my derm instructs me otherwise. This countdown already seems to be really longwinded, slow, and annoying as I cannot wait to start Roaccutane. Hopefully all will be well with my blood tests!

Ok. So this is Day 1. I am about to take 60mg of Roaccutane.

The extent of my acne is as follows:

I've been a sufferer for about 8 years now and I get it on my face, back and chest. On my face the acne is moderate yet stubborn and doesn't react to other medications, antibiotics and products over the counter. Made up of red marks, oil, whiteheads, lots of papules and pustles. I currently have only two cysts which have been here for some time. Uneven skin tone has occured on the forehead probably due to the acne.

On my chest I have papules and pustles. The top region is only affected. It is quite mild.

My back however is full of small papules. Recently this has gotten better since taking Erythromycin, but nowhere close to the kind of clarity acne sufferers ever wish for!

Well all three pills have been popped... The foil on the packet was surprisingly strong! Obviously they were taken after I had enjoyed a very fulfilling English Breakfast! :dance:

I think I'll update this later on today... Let's see how Day 1 goes!

Ok. So this is Day 1. I am about to take 60mg of Roaccutane.

The extent of my acne is as follows:

I've been a sufferer for about 8 years now and I get it on my face, back and chest. On my face the acne is moderate yet stubborn and doesn't react to other medications, antibiotics and products over the counter. Made up of red marks, oil, whiteheads, lots of papules and pustles. I currently have only two cysts which have been here for some time. Uneven skin tone has occured on the forehead probably due to the acne.

On my chest I have papules and pustles. The top region is only affected. It is quite mild.

My back however is full of small papules. Recently this has gotten better since taking Erythromycin, but nowhere close to the kind of clarity acne sufferers ever wish for!

Well all three pills have been popped... The foil on the packet was surprisingly strong! Obviously they were taken after I had enjoyed a very fulfilling English Breakfast! :dance:

I think I'll update this later on today... Let's see how Day 1 goes!

Hey good luck with your course craig. will keep reading it. so keep us updated. i'm on 10 mg a day and am on day 20. hope your skin works out ok. chazzyx :whistle:

Hey good luck with your course craig. will keep reading it. so keep us updated. i'm on 10 mg a day and am on day 20. hope your skin works out ok. chazzyx :whistle:

Cheers m'dears. It's a horrible time to be on this drug - with Christmas and New Year celebrations just around the corner. And being the pretty heavy drinker that I am will mean this year is gonna be very difficult to enjoy with either no alcohol or less than usual. :boohoo:

HEY CRAIG!

Gd luck. Also very cool we started at similar dates and both on 60mg!

I also hated having my blood test done... after I had it done, few minutes later as I was waiting at reception to hand some stuff in and I fainted!! luckily my mum was hugging me at the time and she caught me quick and layed me down on the floor... also big boo boo, was also in waiting room and a few ppl saw me! So embarressing. Grr, so not lookin forward to having those Blood tests again! :confused:

Have a gd day :)

Charlotte xXx

I'm going to bed soon. Day 1 is over. It's been a lazy day for me. I feel tired, but that's probably not anything to do with the Roaccutane. Every different feeling now will immediately be blamed on the Roac, even though it's probably coincidence.

Good night!

Day 2

Strange really. Don't know whether my feelings today are caused by the Roaccutane, or whether it's coincidence and psychological:

Itchy arms, hands, back and shoulders but only whilst I was working out at the gym.

My face has developed a 'nodule' or what feels like one to the right of my nose. Again I don't know whether this is coincidence, or the Roaccutane. A couple of whiteheads here and there, and in actual fact the worst thing I had today was a headache...

Again I don't know how much of the changes would've happened if I had not been on Roaccutane... Could be coincidence.... Could be Roaccutane... Could possibly be anxiety, or stress at work...

Let's trust Roche, and pretend it's my body!

Day 3

That horrible 'nodule' thing has got a bit redder and slightly larger in terms of surface area coverage. I've got a whitehead under my eyebrow but just above my eye which is painful and I can see it out of the corner of my eye! Grr! On my neck I have a lovely big pustle, which is uncommon for me as I usually only get papules there. Strange.

I've had slightly drier lips today, and today after my shower my skin seemed to take half as long before it felt dry. I had to apply slightly more moisturiser today before I felt comfortable.

Can it be working so quickly?

I'm naive in that I don't really believe it could be working so soon, and that if I hadn't been taking Roaccutane that my skin could've flared up or changed like this anyway. Guess I'll never know.

Can it be working so quickly?

I'm naive in that I don't really believe it could be working so soon, and that if I hadn't been taking Roaccutane that my skin could've flared up or changed like this anyway. Guess I'll never know.

It sure seems that way at first, doesn't it? I'm just waiting for my IB to kick in.

Best wishes

Day 4

Almost 1pm.

I want to go out into town, but I'm red, and painful, and I look sore, and a bit shiny, but I'm probably shiny as I've used a bit more moisturiser as when I got out the shower my forehead and chin area dried up really quickly. I was just left with horrible dry bits of flakey skin. Nasty nasty nasty.

It's too close to Christmas not to go shopping. The problem with shopping online is that you don't see products side by side and impulse shopping just doesn't happen - you have to know what you're looking for to be able to find it.

I woke up to find that my skin wasn't too oily. It was an interesting feeling. Hmm.

----

Just after 1pm.

I keep wanting to look in the mirror, but at the same time I don't. It feels like it will look even more horrible.

Day 5

Woke up again to find dry peeling mess around my mouth. My face gets very dry very quickly after showering which is a bit of a pain - literally - so I've learned now to brush my teeth, then shower, then straight after dry off and apply moisturiser!

Lips are getting dry very quickly. They're getting to the stage where I am reapplying Vaseline every hour or so as they are just becoming really dry and flaky.

Roaccutane is working, I can confirm - much quicker than expected!

My scalp was quite painful earlier on when I was washing my hair - it felt quite tender. It felt like it was sunburned, if you know how that feels, and generally I've had intervals of itchyness in random part of my body - mainly the chest, legs, arms, back, neck and scalp. Strange.

Oh, and my face is really red.

Body acne on the otherhand is nothing really to talk about as that remains pretty much the same.

Pfft

Day 6

Today's been quite boring in terms of skin. No such change. I find myself applying Vaseline every hour or so but I think I've got used to the feeling of nice soft lips and I've accustomed to them feeling lovely! Hah. Hmm. :eh:

Erm. I'm going out tonight to a party... Let's see how Roaccutane reacts with alcohol. I've promised myself not to drink too much - my promises to myself don't hold too much credibility though. :think:

That's it! That's all I can really update on for today. Perhaps Day 7 will be more exciting!

Day 7

Well last night was brilliant. But I got very drunk very quickly - excellent! :dance:

Today I have a few new spots on the jawline and in my ear, which is really annoying, but hopefully they will go soon.

The dry lips has continued, and I feel there is less time between applications now. My face seems to get very tight and dry after showering or whatever, so I am really having to moisturise shortly after or else I do just turn into a flaking/cracked mess.

Tonight again I am going out... Wont drink too much. Maybe a couple of pints...

It feels horrible knowing that the main important thing when you're out is that damn Vaseline and not knowing what you'd do without it if it were lost..! Heh.

Oh well.

I was gonna finish my post there after 'oh well' but I just went into the bathroom and my goodness! Around my mouth was dry again with dry peeling skin present. I've just applied a bit more moisturiser but it just goes to prove how much drier you are on Roaccutane...

Day 8

Dry lips continue...! I'm pleased to say I've not had a nosebleed, but I am preparing myself for that by keeping my nasal passage Vaseline'd in hope that the moisturising will combat nosebleeds...

Generally my face looks..... better. Erm. Just looks smoother. It is getting increasingly dry and flakey despite my moisturising, but only to the sides of my nose, and around my mouth.

Even though I say it looks better, I have had a couple of very small whiteheads appear dotted around my face, but they are very very small.

I have a horrible nodule on my chest. It's painful and annoying, and I keep prodding at it to see whether it's changing... But it's not. :eh:

Right... That's all for today.

Day 9

I've woken up to find the most horrible flaking dry lips! What can I use to exfoliate my lips without them bleeding or looking worse?

More updates later on..............

--------------

12:47pm: Does Roaccutane slow down facial hair growth?

--------------

23:51:

So today dryness has continued. Even though I moisturised my face well it actually felt like my forehead was scaly like a fish, which was odd as it definately didn't look it. The area around my mouth gets the worst, and normally now requires two applications of moisturiser otherwise it cracks and flakes as soon as I fully open my mouth.. More smaller whiteheads have popped up. One yesterday that appeared has now exploded - mmm!

Interestingly, the nodule I referred to on my chest which would normally be there for ages with no change has shrunk! It's also now developed a head which is crusting over! Strange!

Again no nosebleeds, but maybe the Vaseline up my nose is holding that off... I don't care... It works!

Gym workout was OK as well... Didn't feel tired or anything like that. No aches or pains... All good...!

That's all for now. Peace out.

Day 10

No changes.

Dryness seems to be neither better nor worse - applying Vaseline to the lips periodically keeps them smooth and stops the cracking.

Sorry I have nothing else to say...

It does feel good to finish the first box of blister packs. Woo!

Day 9

I've woken up to find the most horrible flaking dry lips! What can I use to exfoliate my lips without them bleeding or looking worse?

More updates later on..............

Chapstick works well for me...

Day 11

Bit late posting this, but c'est la vie....

I'm finding the dryness manageable since getting into the routine of moisturising AS SOON as I get out of the shower and have dried off, and it's paying off. Flaking is subsidised.

My chest of late has been feeling quite tight, but I don't know whether that's because I've been going to the gym more often recently. It's not an unbearable pain in any way - just something I've observed.

Skin is the same as yesterday to be honest. Nothing new seems to be cropping up... Nothing old seems to be going... It's quite nice waking up in the morning wondering 'what will I look like today?' and then the sudden delight as I look in the mirror and think 'oh!' This medication is so unreliable - you really don't know where you stand with it... One moment you're all red, the next you're pale. Hahahaha!

I got myself a new Vaseline today with Aloe! It's in a green tin. I thought I should have a few laying around the house, as I'm bound to lose one at some point when I'm drunk.... I could murder a drink right now, but at 2ish AM it's time for bed.

And on that note........ Good night. Or morning... :|

Day 12

I'm going to reply today for yesterdays... I didn't have enough time and when I got in I couldn't see the screen due to alcohol consumption! :dance:

Well I continued to have a tight chest, but then I think my latest work out at the gym may have something to do with that, where my chest seems to be expanding. Hmm.

A new bugger appeared on my jawline.. It's a real shitter this one is - really red and boil-like. Eww.

My joints always used to crack: my knees would crack and my wrists would crack if I twisted them around, due to the amount of swimming I used to do, but for the past couple of days the sound of that cracking is quieter and definately less defined.

Apart from that there's not a lot of change. My lips continue to be dry.... I sit patiently waiting for changes!

Right... I'm gonna end this now, get out of bed, look in the mirror, and update this tonight with Day 13!

Hey Craig,

I am so jealous of u that ur not that bothered about drinking alchohol. I am so worried all the time when someone offers me a drink, I have to think about it and sometimes I just get so fed up with being left out drinking I just have to have one glass! lol hehe

About ur chest pain... I think I am getting something similar ish... After doing some push ups I noticed my ribs felt really weird the next day, as if I had fallen on them and they felt like they were bruised. I did those Push ups a week ago and sometimes when I lay down and then get up after a while, I get sharpish pains. Not too painful but rather weird. mmmmh? Also feel tired a lot... dunno if thats just me feeling lazy lol or its all in my head!

About the red face, i'm getting that a lot too.. but in the morning when I wake up it seems to be white/normal colour but after a while I look like a cherry... how annoying... stupid face.

Have gd day, and gd luck wid ur roaccutane through xmas... hopfully we will be clear xmas day!!! wooo xmas day YAY! lol x x x x x x x

Day 13

Well. I've had a bit of an odd texture thing going on with the nose today. It's like there's loads of very small blackheads and it feels a bit like stubble. Erm..

Can't really say there's been any major changes apart from that... Lips are starting to get really sore and in particular I find myself getting dehydrated pretty quickly especially when I'm working out at the gym - I've started to drink a lot more water.

Still waiting to see whether I experience nosebleeds.. Feels horrible putting vaseline up my nose, but It's the only thing which seems to combat nosebleeds with those who have them... Perhaps if I didn't shove it up my nose I would've had one (or more) by now (?)

Oh well.

Hey Craig,

I am so jealous of u that ur not that bothered about drinking alchohol. I am so worried all the time when someone offers me a drink, I have to think about it and sometimes I just get so fed up with being left out drinking I just have to have one glass! lol hehe

Day 14

The rough nose saga continues. Tiny small blackheads - pinprick size - dotted on the top don't cause irritation, but because I can feel it; annoys me.

Forehead is developing the same texture. Quite offputting.

Day 15

First day back at work. I got a couple of comments from people saying how my skin looked better! ;) I find myself having to apply Vaseline too much. It's really annoying me now. I don't like putting it on every bloody 45 mins. It's not easy to do at work. I did have a remaining big pucker on my jawline, yet that seems to be getting smaller day by day.... And today I noticed that my chest wasn't quite as bad...

An IB must be looming.... Please be in the new year.

Right. I'm off to pump some more iron at the gym. Adios for now.

Day 17

I'm skipping yesterday as there had been no change. Zilch. Today however I woke up with the most horrible dry lips. I've not had them this dry before. In fact they had gone a strange yellow scabby colour in places which is odd as like always they were Vaseline'd before bed... I guess the colder weather isn't helping too much too, though.

I had a textured nose... In fact I still have it... It's a rough and grainy feeling which has transferred to my right cheek and the middle of my forehead.

It's strange that although I'm so soon into my course; just taking the drug gives me a huge boost of confidence which is probably because I know that my skin is out of my own personal control now, and the rocky course of Roaccutane will do whatever it wants to me now. Oh and the small fact that some of my redmarks are much much lighter. ;)

Other dryness is around the mouth. Today I woke up to find dry flaking skin both sides of the mouth, which gave me a few minutes of fun flaking it off with my fingers - I'm easily amused! :shrug:

I've still not taken Day 17's pills yet as I'm still deciding on what to eat with them... But I will, eventually....

Day 18

Very dry around my mouth. Very flakey around my mouth. Ew.

Ok... So the forehead, nose and my right cheek have that horrible 120grit sandpaper or microtinysmall blackhead pimplicious feel to them which doesn't seem quite as bad once freshly moisturised.

I spent a long time last night looking at my nose in the mirror. It looks like it's getting more pale in places. It looks like a nice colour of skin. I also sat there thinking about what it would look like once I've finished my treatment, and wondered whether or not I thought any further treatment would be required to perfect me. Hmm.

I have a new spot! Right in the middle of my chin! Very nice! It doesn't look like it'll last there too long. They don't seem to stay for long any more once they've risen to the surface!

Um. I might update this later on today... I'm gonna take todays pills now that I have food.

Ciao!