Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silent_night

Hot , cold , or warm water when rincing ?

i use cold water when i'm washing my face w/the sink. When i shower i use hot water since i cant stand turning down the temp, but i prefer cold water. i hear it opens your pores, so it would help clean out crap better and prepare ur skin to absore bp

Hot water opens and cold water closes, I thought this was common knowledge? tabasco I believe you have it around the wrong way.

I wash with warm/hot. Put on the cleanser, rinse with warm and then just splash some nice cold water on at the end.

Since you wait for your pores to close after you cleanse before you put the BP on anyway, the cold water speeds up the process a bit and makes ur face feel good.

ya what I do is first splash warm/hot and put on the cleasner, it seems to work better with warm water and then rinse with warm/hot and then cold... eaaaasy as that

hot water can irritate your skin and cause breakouts. try to wash your face with warm water and finish off with a final rinse of cool.

nope, i definetly dont have it the wrong way. read through acne.org, i know dan wrote it somewhere. I have also looked through a couple of journals using the database at my college to look up information on acne. i dont feel like looking it up again unless you really dont believe me. but what i say is true, cold opens pores, hot closes pores. word

no way that COLD water opens PORES.. ONLY HOT TEMPERATURE opens pores that is why people do all type of SAUNA and FACIALS with hot steams.. COLD will close pores and tighten skin HOT will do opposite...

no way that COLD water opens PORES.. ONLY HOT TEMPERATURE opens pores that is why people do all type of SAUNA and FACIALS with hot steams.. COLD will close pores and tighten skin HOT will do opposite...

Do you think it really matters? Acne is inevitable, and turning to more and more complex superstitious rituals isn't going to change that. It has to get better on it's own or with meds, the latter if you're lucky.

Ok, here's the story.

There is no published research on whether cold, warm, or hot water works better. None. Nowhere.

In my experience, it simply doesn't matter. Do whatever is comfortable for you.

As far as cold water closing pores, I have heard this many times, but again, I have never read it in any medical literature. It makes sense that cold will contract things. Regardless, the vehicle of benzoyl peroxide is so microscopic that it could easily get into the smallest of pores.

-Dan

Here is what I found on the subject, and while I do wash in warm and rinse in cool, I think using hot or freezing cold water is a bad idea regardless.

Cold water does not close large pores and can actually irritate the skin. In fact, there are no muscles around the pore walls, so they cannot open and close. Pores remain the same size. Pores look bigger to the eye only because dead skin cells, dirt and oil are trapped within each pore.

To make the size of the pores less noticeable, rinse with tepid water (which makes skin feel tighter) but not with cold water.

By the same token, hot water does not open up pores. Warm water (not hot, which is too irritating to skin) hydrates the skin, and cleanses it.

Hey all,

Just thought I could add my two cents in here -- for what it's worth. :-) I'm a licensed cosmetologist, and in school we had to learn all about facials, etc. and do X amount of them to pass and graduate. In doing so, I was able to observe many different skin types, and see the reactions to the seperate steps.

With steaming, the point of the moist heat is to open the pores up before putting a mask on to attempt to clean them out. I usually could not see very much of a change in the pores with steaming.

However, when warm washcloths are applied to facial skin, there is almost an immediate change. The cloths would be soaked in warm water, and then placed in a little heating bin. After removing them from the client's face, the pores looked larger, and you could certainly see many more of them - especially in the cheek region.

Another very similar method, is to just soak the washcloths in hot water, squeeze out the excess, and then apply to the face. After doing so two or three times, you will be able to see the difference.

Anyway -- that is what I have experienced with many different people's facial skin, and my own.

I dont believe the law of Thermal Dynamics applies to facial tissue.. sorry guys.. LukeWarm water through and through works perfect for me.. hot to cold is to much of a shock for the nerves in the face.. which can lead to irritation..