Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toads84

my diet (critique please)

ok, 19 years old and college stress is making my acne unbearable... i can't get rid of the stress... with a 10pg paper, 5pg paper, 5 min french play i have to write... you get the idea. anyway, i'm trying to controll my diet a bit, it's helping a lot, but just need an opinion if i'm eating something i shouldn't be

breakfast

2 pieces fruit if busy

other wise:

2 egg bagelg without anything

2 packages plain oatmeal and 1 flavored

sometimes a waffle with a little syrup

water

lunch

pasta with sauce(no meat)

huge salad with no cheese or dressing, and vinegrett stuff

some fruit

water

maybe a turkey breast sandwich with just meat and the whole wheat bread

dinner

stirfry with baby corns, pineapples, and chicken

i use a little bar-b-q sauce with meat, and a little sweet and sour

with the white rice oh yeah garlic mmmm

another salad

snacks are usually fruit

always water over juice/pop*shudder* 4-8 glasses of water a day

ok, 19 years old and college stress is making my acne unbearable... i can't get rid of the stress... with a 10pg paper, 5pg paper, 5 min french play i have to write... you get the idea.  anyway, i'm trying to controll my diet a bit, it's helping a lot, but just need an opinion if i'm eating something i shouldn't be

breakfast

2 pieces fruit if busy

other wise:

2 egg bagelg without anything

2 packages plain oatmeal and 1 flavored

sometimes a waffle with a little syrup

water

lunch

pasta with sauce(no meat)

huge salad with no cheese or dressing, and vinegrett stuff

some fruit

water

maybe a turkey breast sandwich with just meat and the whole wheat bread

dinner

stirfry with baby corns, pineapples, and chicken

i use a little bar-b-q sauce with meat, and a little sweet and sour 

with the white rice oh yeah garlic mmmm

another salad

snacks are usually fruit

always water over juice/pop*shudder* 4-8 glasses of water a day

You know what I think. Doctors and people dont know the cause of acne. So they say food, sex, whatever doesnt cause acne. But do you they know? Because they dont know they cause so all things are possibilities.

You know what I think.  Doctors and people dont know the cause of acne.  So they say food, sex, whatever doesnt cause acne.  But do you they know?  Because they dont know they cause so all things are possibilities.

Guest fatman_uk

Yeah, an using antibacterial cleansers help some people... but yet they say the cleanliness surface of the skin has nothing to do with it. :roll:

What are you doin for your skin now F49Z0R5?

-Gaz

You know what I think.  Doctors and people dont know the cause of acne.  So they say food, sex, whatever doesnt cause acne.  But do you they know?  Because they dont know they cause so all things are possibilities.

There have been endless amounts of studies that showed that none of that shit causes acne.

some people are intolerant or sensitive to different foods and that causes or aggravates their acne. diet is a cause in SOME people and i'm sure many people could be helped by healthy eating. toads84 your diet sounds pretty good, the only thing that you could try further is cutting out the wheat (bread, bagels, pasta) or go for wholewheat bread+pasta cz apparently it doesn't make the body produce as much insulin as the white stuff

you are soooo wrong about diet not playing a part in acne. yeah, maybe some people it doesn't, but if i was to have some chicken fingers, fries, and a coke with chocolate cake for desert... i don't even want to think about it. most of the studies say it doesn't play any part for most people. well, i'm not that most people.

where is the connection though toads? Sure you could have an allergic reaction to something, which could irritate your skin. Other than that I can't think of a logical reason why milk/sugar/fats could possibly make your acne worse.

sure, i have an "allergic" reaction to ALL deep fried foods, ALL soda, and ALL sugary sweets. ok, yeah, maybe i'm allergic to all those foods, but the result of the reaction is acne.

You don't know what you're talking about and they do? hmm, yeeesss. Where you go off saying doctors don't know this and that. There have been endless amounts of studies that showed that none of that shit causes acne.

bottom line - i think diet CAN have an effect, but for MOST people it doesn't. only way to find out is to test

but, the typical american diet constantly invokes insulin spikes which are just not good overall (besides for post weight training, to blunt cortisol and refill glycogen stores)

only time i've noticed food affecting my acne is if i am eating ribs and get some of the sauce on my face around my lips and i never wash then i'll get some zits.

it is good to think that diet affects your acne because then you all will watch the junk food you eat, and obesity rate will decline. but i think you all just imagine that you are breaking out when you eat something greasy or unhealthy.

Ty,

I have probably dozens of studies that PROOF how diet can affect not just your skin, but the rest of your body. Saturated Fats can play a role, Added hormones (Growth hormones, not estrogens) can play a role, but more importantly Carbhoydrates will ALL spike your INSULIN LEVELS. Since the implemention of TV dinners, Canned foods, etc 40 years ago (?)our health problems have increased. With the implemention of the USDA Food Pyramid (they KNOW they screwd that up), our Diabestes and Obesity Rates have INCREASED. The type of Diabetes that has increased in knowns as Type II Diabetes which is similar, but worse than Insulin Resistance (precursor). Therefore, as a result our biggest health problems are considered Diseases of LIFESTYLE .

Insulin Resistance is something that We ALL go through during puberty! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Abstract During this time as Pre-teens or Teenagers we are rapidly changing and growing. In order for our bodies to grow, the cells have to become RESISTANT to Insulin. What this means is that your body will produce the insulin in order to let the Carbohydrates (sugars = glucose) into your cells, BUT your Cells WILL NOT acknowledge your insulin as effectively as it should and so your liver produces MORE insulin (bad idea).However, when puberty is over, your body should return to normal and no longer be Insulin Resistant. Unfortunately, because we are consuming HUGE amounts of Carbohydrates and/or other problematic foods, Insulin Resistance continues for a number of us, while others become Diabetic.

Now there are many combinations that you could follow to improve your skin and current or future health. Some of us hit the Jackpot after trying out a few diets and others just gave up before even trying out one.Since I know that all teenagers go through IR, I'm almost pretty certain that if they hit the right combination, they can use diet (or supplements) instead of accutane (temporary effects ...work ONLY during treatment) or other prescriptions, to treat their acne, if the SAFE, "natural" and possibly more effective route appeals to them. When puberty is over for them, they can go back to their regular diet (wouldnt be too wise) and perhaps won't have any problems...with their skin. Where as the rest of us, MUST maintain whatever successful treatment we found, for the rest of our lives...

For those that don't wish to read my 5 page paper on this (anyone ever print it?), the thing you should remember is that FOOD ALWAYS matters. Just like there are foods that can have a Postive Effect, there are others that can have a NEGATIVE effect. and yes a few don't do anything but taste good ;-) Yet, like that saying goes, "just because its "natural" doesn't mean it's safe" How many poisonious safe natural plants are out there in the world? How many of them will induce hives or a rash? Well, thanks to all the little things that help compose food, ( protiens, hormones, enzymes, sugars, glycoproteins, etc) Some foods can directly harm us, where as other can do so by adding more IGF-1 in our systems (factory farmed cows milk). Now, IGF-1 is Insulin-like Growth Factor which is needed in order for our cells to grow. Too much causes skin cell proliferation (growth), cancer, etc. Yet, it can also bind to androgen receptors and increase the amount of androgen you are producing. Some people are really sensitive to this hormone and that's why some people have cleared up by switching to Organic Dairy products or eliminating Dairy entirely.

Furthermore, Insulin in general (its not the sugar) is a normal part of steriod hormone synthesis. Except that if you have TOO much insulin in your system, than your body will start increasing all your steriod hormones (estrogens, androgens, and progestrone). Depending on whatever your own personal gene defect is, this can translate itself into a variety of problems. Obesity, Diabetes, Arthritis, Fatigue, High Blood Pressure, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (can cause fertility problems), High Cholesterol, Hirsuitism, and ACNE or other skin problems.

Since we are all different, our problems manifest themselves differently, but anyone that's on a high Carbohydrate diet...most on a Western Diet (think 75% - 80% or more in carbs) will ONE DAY, end up with some sort of health problem. We should consider ourselves lucky that our bodies have chosen to keep us thin (for some of us) and produce acne instead as a SIGN that something is WRONG! It's not a punishment...I would much rather have acne than cancer and you know what....both can be a result when you consume foods, etc. that are PROBLEMATIC for YOU!

It's not that these foods just increase our insulin levels, but some of these foods act as enzyme inhibitors. Thus, deactivating our ability to properly break down certain proteins they or other foods contain (why most of us are more likely to be INTOLERANT, than allergic). Now, an Allergic reaction occurs instantly or within hours, whereas an Intolerant Reaction can be delayed for several days or weeks even as a result of consuming a GLYCOPROTEIN. {b]A Glycoprotien is a complex composed of a Sugar (starch) wrapped around a Protein and each food contains around 30 different ones. Therefore, these are found in ALL foods, but only CERTAIN ones are problematic. You may have heard of Lectins, Gluten and other (glyco)proteins such as Casien (milk), well IF susceptible (try an eliminateion diet and see) these are responsible for the negative reactions in your body. Hmm... isn't it funny how sugar still keeps coming back as being problematic? Anyway, consuming the wrong foods for you, can can cause your body to be unable to properly absorb or convert other nutrients (why acne sufferers are supposedly Vitamin A and Zinc deficient) and can prevent our liver from properly detoxing.

Not to mention, certain foods can increase and decrease our IGFBP-1 (Insulin-like growth factor binding protein) which is actually the reason ACCUTANE works in the first place. Of course, these foods happen to be....the ones named above, certain Saturated Fats and certain CARBOHYDRATES. So not only do they increase our insulin levels but they can also decrease IGFBP-1which is neccessary in binding to IGF-1 (to stop the above problems) and they also decrease SHBG (Sex hormone binding globulin), which is neccessary for binding steriod hormones. SHBG will bind to all of them, but has a HIGHER affinity for ANDROGENS (why Estrogen or Birth Control works). Of course, when you do these things, then you can decrease the amount of circulating Androgens, decrease the enzymes needed to convert these into DHT, which reduces your Skin Cell Proliferation, Hyperkertinization, Sebum production, and INFLAMMATION.

Therefore, IF you want to control or eliminate your acne you want to use something that controls DHT production. Not to mention, the MEN will want to know what do to do when they get older....

As such, this is WHY Accutane Works. This is WHY most prescription topicals work. This is WHY Insulin Controlling and Anti-androgens work. This is WHY consuming a diet that controls your Insulin spikes and Limits or Eliminates your Problematic Foods (intolerant foods), WILL give you not only Improved or CLEAR skin, but take care of addtional health problems that you may also have. I've heard testimonies that some lost weight, had more energy, built lean musle, had regular menstrual cycles, had pain free menstrual cycles, were able to concieve, decreased hirsutism, healthy cholesterol levels, and most importantly, reduced or eliminated the very same drugs that were supposed to be treating their problems in the first place!

The list goes on as to the kind of damage an unbalanced (can't live off od tv dinners and fast food), Insulin Spiking, Allergenic or Intolerant inducing Diets can do to you. I certainly didn't have ALL of those problems (you don't have to), but I'm one of those people. I thought that since I was thin and was taking Avandia (Insulin Sensitizing Drug) and Spironolactone (anti-androgen) that I didn't ahve to watch my carbohydrate intake. Heck, I wanted to gain wieght not lose wieght....well, that was my mentality 2 years ago.

Now, I'm still the same weight (genetics for now), but thanks to sooo many amazing and helpful people on these boards, I began to understand WHY it was important to limit our carbs. From there I began to look for connections as to why these drugs worked and I accidentally bumped into how accutane works (roche states it...but they fully admit it). From there I wondered that if this is how how accutane works, then how are the prescription topicals working. When I found out that most prescription topicals are Retinoids...I knew they were all working to stop DHTs effects on our skin. So I did more research and found out that these low carb diets or eliminating certain foods, can also do these very SAME things.

This is not a placebo effect for myself (99% clear), former acne suffers, not to mention the numerous others that went on these diets to lose weight and ended getting improved or clear skinin the process. No B.S. No Hype, just pure honest to God science. While I'm a Biology student, you don't have to be to understand this, just remember that SCIENCE is NEVER EXACT (they don't have all the answers or the technology to get at a deeper peice ot the puzzle) and as such is ALWAYS changing usually for BETTER! I PROMISE you or heck just look at our posts, look at the research, and you will SEE that this is the truth!

There are several mechanisms to the pathway that leads to acne, IR is apart of at least at least half of them (check out CYP450 hormonal disorders), and maybe more with time. As to wether a pill or diet would be MORE effective for you, I don't know, but I do know that they both do the same things. It's up to you to pick the one that works best, but I hope you don't short change yourself in the process.

I know that some of you clain to be irritated with these diet threads, but I have to wonder why you keep reading them. These threads get a lot of heat and a lot of hits, especially for something that a good portion of you don't believe in. I don't read any post that doesn't interest me, let alone respond. So, maybe deep down you all are secretly hoping that diet is the answer or hoping that it isn't. If you are one that really wishes it was that simiple (and cheap), then LET it be, give it a Good Honest Fair shot. Otherwise, if acne is something that you are still dealing with when you are 30, 40, or 50 years old (I REALLY hope not), then perhaps you will rethink your postion and will give you and your body the chance it deserves.

Best of luck to ALL of you

I think I may know the definitive answer to this, are you ready? Diet may play a role in acne, but I don't care. I think most of us can get away with either seeing a derm or going on Dan's regimen to achieve clear skin, without ever being concerned about our diet. I'm concerned about my diet for other reasons-- weight loss, bone health, energy level, to maintain a healthy heart, etc. But there is no way in hell I'm going to avoid my favorite foods, or eat something I don't like, or do a ton of research on food, in hopes that it might have some correlation to my acne. Luckily for me, diet plays no role in my skin, except, I must admit that drinking a ton of water daily can add a nice glow.

This is directed to most of you "skeptics" and I'm sure I'll get criticized for saying so, but uh...you don't want it BAD enough . If you REALLY wanted to get rid of your acne, you would do ALL you possibly could to do so. You would research, spend what money you could, try out all the possible cures, and go to the very "ends" of earth and back if neccessary. Doing all you could and trying as HARD as you could, all while, applying your knowledge in a safe and responsible manner.

Thankfully, I didn't have to do all that, but I did do enough. I've had acne for 16 years now (I'm 23) and I can get it practically anywhere. I tried the normal approach, the doctors, the derms, and even several endocrionologists and they couldn't give me (some were wonderful), what changing my diet did (hormone controlling diet)! I'm so gratefuly because some of them, handed me another piece of the puzzleuntil finally I learned what it was that caused me to get acne (so far). Supposedly that would be Insulin Resistance, except my only "symptom" of this was acne (menstrual pains) and mild hirsutism.

It was very hard to get a diagnosis. It took 8 years of trying before I found the most wonderful of Endocrinologists. He narrowed it down to IR or PCOS, but the final proof was in taking the medication (same for both). My skin improved (up to 85% clear) a wee bit more than it did on BC, but when I added my diet and later dropped the medication (lowered my spiro dose), my skin was EVEN BETTER and.... NO MORE Breakout Cycles or PAINFUL, crippling, Crying on the floor Menstrual Cramps! THAT is how I KNOW I finally found something that wasn't just going to treat my existing acne, but CONTROL & PREVENT it from coming back! NOTHING, not Birth Control, not supplements, not Avandia, not Spiro, not Retina, Azelex Acid, or any OTC products could Ever STOP me from having a Breakout Cycle! Have any of your products done that for you? If so...definately keep them! ;-)

When I realized that it had stopped my cycle (8 - 9 months of my worst breakouts every year ) That's when I did the research to UNDERSTAND how something as simple as food could be so POWERFUL. How changing the amount or type of carbohydrates, and a few other foods, that people do to lose weight, could get me and so many others clear. Scientificially, it makes a lot of sense, and for a number of us, it makes a WORLD of Difference. The BRILLIANT thing about it is that you don't have to do the research. There's testimonies and scientific studies all over this board and other boards that show you the reasoning behind it all. There's Books written by Nutritionists, Biologists, Doctors, and DERMATOLOGISTS that are telling you the SAME thing!

You can play Ignorant and live in this "happy" state of denial. You can say mean things like "I don't care" and "zzzz" all you want, but it doesn't change the truth. I'm not saying that changing your diet is the only way, there are other ways, but are they the most effective for YOU? That's why I can't believe that some of you would honestly say that you care about your health and changing your diet for your health, but not when it comes to your acne. Personally, I don't care either! I HONESTLY don't care WHAT works for you as long as EVERYBODY finds what it is that is going to get them Happy, Healthy and CLEAR! I Want so much for ALL of you to find your answers and to NEVER shortchange yourselfand blow off something that one day...(it has happened to a few of you) you come back and discover it was your answer all along.

The longer it takes to find the solution for you, the more acne you are getting. The more marks and scars that are left behind that you have to deal with. The more your hormones are possibly causing or going to cause other problems for you later. The more your hopes get built up only to (possibly) come crashing down after you've worked SOO HARD to get clear. I KNOW because I've been there. I've worked HARD with Retina only to have my breakout cycle come and ruin it. I've taken the antibiotics (total waste of your time) only to go off of them and BOOM breakout worse than before (that was a bit depressing) and I was on an Anti-androgen at that time! I know, I Know, I KNOW and for those of you that have been dealing with acne for 5, 10, 15, 30 or more years....maybe you're ready to give something other than a "quick fix" a shot.

You know what did it for me? I just got tired of it all. Growing up, I wasn't really depressed, for I've been fortunate socially, except I couldn't go to the prom (body acne) and wear certain clothes. That's VERY tough on a girl and that definately let me know that something was wrong. So last summer I finally hit my "last straw". I wasn't desperate, but based on what I knew was effective for my problems, I was at the point where I was taking 2 medications and contemplating adding Supplements and more skin care products to my routine. I couldn't afford all that let alone ever take 30 - 40 pills daily and so I figured that I would give changing my diet ANOTHER try. I mean it was cheap and all I knew was that I was tired of failing. My grades were starting to slip. I was exhausted from working hard on my skin only to have it all taken away again and again. The greatest thing, or maybe the saddest, was that everything that I discovered and all the great doctors that I found, were complete flukes. When I tried to get answers, they gave me none, but when I didn't go to them for the answers, they looked at me and decided to help me find them. =)

You guys are amazing, smart, stubborn, and soo darn challenging, but I like that because you are helping to make me a better Biology student =P You encourage me to continually question things and go out and try to find more answers. Aside from trying to help some of you, that's why I come back. Yet, I Do NOT have to take the heat and the disrespect some of you have thrown at me and others that here trying to help. I and others did what we unknowingly HAD to do, and I have NO regrets!

So you MAY have to give up a FEW of your favorities foods, but how many wonderful years did you have with them???? I LOVED Bananas and Cherries and Pizza, and Pasta, and Burgers and well, I quite can't have them anymore. Yet, I had 22 - 23 glorious years with them some of my favorite foods and now it's time to have 23 and more glorious years of clear skin. Not a bad trade off if you ask me, but hey you do what is BEST for you. I'm not going to fight with you over this. I hear all of you angry, confused, hurt, depressed, and some almost suicidal and my heart goes out to all of you. It's these times that I wish I had tons of money so that you could all have free healthcare like I did and you go and get the tests and find out what is going on inside of you. Unfortunately I don't, this is all I have....and it's still not enough. If a topical works, than I am EXTREMELY happy for you. I want you all to be full of Knowledge about yourselves and whats the most effective way to treat your acne. Nevertheless, it's your LIFE, it's your Body and only you can decide how much eliminating your acne is WORTH to you! In the end, I hope that you're happy with those results, because as MUCH as I care, I'm not here to fight your battles... that's your job.

Fight smart

why cant u people accept the fact that not everyone has teh same body as you, and the same reaction to certain foods as you. i have a slim build, ive always had a slim build, i eat twice as much as my roomate(and yes, we eat the basically the same food), yet hes shorter and about 30 lbs more than me. obvuisly, certain foods affect him differntly than me. every since i stopped the sugers (ESPECIALLY POP) and fast food i can function better on less sleep and workout twice as long then i use too. Eating healthy should be mandatory, dont try it just because u think it might help your skin, even though it helped(not cured, HELPED) me and my 3 sisters.

Well, being that my skin practically cleared up in 3 weeks on Dan's regimen, I could care less about changing my diet for my skin. Nothing to do with being skeptical, I just don't care.

If you don't care then obviously your acne is not bad. Look at the scaring few, who hide from light, suffer daily from acne.

I'm glad you're clear, but everyone isn't alike. I'm sure many of us would kill for just a few pimples a week.

If you're upset enough to come to this message board, why not take her advice? I would've, if i had known.

Guest fatman_uk
SweetJade,

Your saying bananas caused some of your acne?  Never heard that in my life, but what can I say everyone is different.

If you don't care then obviously your acne is not bad. Look at the scaring few, who hide from light, suffer daily from acne. 

I'm glad you're clear, but everyone isn't alike. I'm sure many of us would kill for just a few pimples a week.

If you're upset enough to come to this message board, why not take her advice? I would've, if i had known.

Fatman,

U know what, that's the funny thing about this "low carb" diet thing. I eat alot of high carb foods still, and no problems. Rice (17g - 45g), Corn (32g - 41g) Apples (32g) and Raisens (29 - 31g) have a lot more carbs than Cherries (19g or 24g) and Bananas (28g). Oh and Wheat definately causes problems for me, but its 34g of carbs.

I can't figure out a reason for why cherries cause me problems, but I do know that Bananas pop up on several diet, Intolerant, acne causing food lists. Perhaps it depends on how complex of a sugar or protein they have, if that's so that MAY be the reason. Especially since some people (30% or more of the population) are intolerant to something and have problems breaking it down (lactose intolerance). Therefore, complex carbs may be good for some people, but for others it could be very bad thing.

Eitherway, these foods can still create an Insulin or Inflammatory response. Infact, Gluten and Lectin glycoproteins supposedly (according to D'adamos book) act like Insulinand that could be why Bananas are problematic for us. After all, Insulin is a part of steriod hormone synthesis, so if we are eating foods (bananas, gluten grains - wheat, barely , rye) that ACT like Insulin, not to mention the normal amount of Insulin their carbohydrates will cause our bodies to Produce, that's a lot of Insulin floating in our blood stream. If our bodies refuse to acknowledge this, that's even MORE insulin and of course, that means MORE hormones (particularly androgens - DHT, testosterone, DHEA, Androstenedione) that can cause us a variety of problems!

Well at least we've figured out how to prevent or better yet STOP it. Just don't eat them ;-)

Toads,

I must apologize for completely ignoring your questions. Myself, and everyone else, were arguing over matters that weren't as important to you and the main point of your thread.

If things are still going crazy for you, hopefully you are still willing to sort them out. Have you managed to narrow down any further foods that could be contributing to your breakouts? What progress have you seen vs. the way your skin was before? There are several people on this board that are knowledable about the problems foods can cause us and if you want help, I'll be happy to help in anyway that I can.

Once again, I apologize and best of luck with your papers.

lol i was totally won over by your speech sweetjade. i definitely have hormonal acne, ive heard hormonal acne focuses on the jawline and that precisely what i have, plus im 15 so that would make sense eh.

and unfortunately the only thing benzoyl peroxide could do for me was give me some cool blond streaks on my already blond hair.

but anyways ive recently started the 2 litres of water a day thing, n banished my smoky bacon crisps from my lunchbox and replaced them with your average apple. i duno if thatll make any difference but hey, its better for me