Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silent_night

Is shaving good or bad for acne?

I've always found that shaving made my acne look much worse. I use an electric shaver and it is much less irritating to my face then any straight blade razor. The shave is not nearly as close, but I will settle for some scruff as opposed to really red irritated skin.

There are so many factors involved, I don't think there is a clear-cut answer. Derms have told me in the past that I should either shave every day, or grow a full beard - basically all or nothing. If you have severe or cystic acne, then I would go with a "wet" electric shaver like the Panasonic Linear or the Norelco Advantage. If you choose a blade, the Sensor Excel is the only way to go. Be meticulous about changing your blade and wiping your shaving equipment with rubbing alcohol before each use. With either shaving method, the less you go over and over the same area, the better. I stay clean shaven, and swear by my Norelco Advantage.