Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thEneXtChaPter

For those of you guys who are worried about accutane and hairloss

1st off I just wanna say I dont mean to discriminate by sayin for men lol. Women already have long hair so its already being done lol.

2nd off, accutane DOES NOT cause HAIRLOSS. Its a reported side effect that in RARE cases it can cause HAIR THINNING, but its mild. Its so mild that you'll notice it and freak out but no1 else will notice it. Accutane wont make your hairline recede back, wont give you a big bald spot.

But if your worried about hair thinning while on accutane, just simply do this:

Don't cut your hair during the accutane course and thats it!

Grow your hair out and just leave it alone. Figure it this way. If you already have thick hair, the hair on your head isn't all of a sidden gonna become thin, thats not possible. Once you have thick hair, it stays thick (hair is dead so it doesn't change while its on your head).

So if in a rare case accutane was to cause you alil hair thinning, it wouldn't make your hair you already have become thin, it would make your hair grow back thinner after its been cut.

Now of course youmight think it doesn't look good to have long sloppy hair, but atleast you'll be able to relax about your hair you know! Leave your hair alone and it will stay the way it is, and this way you wont become paranoid that maybe you think your hair is thinning, because the only slight chance of this is if your hair grows back thinner AFTER being cut.

I just thought of this a while ago and remeber to post it now. Nowlast year I was shedding alittle more hair than usual, not losing my hair, just i was paranoid so i'd run my hand through my hair alot which if you keep running your hands through your hair thats bound to make a few hairs shed, and everytime I was on my computer if a hair or two shed on its own it would be a big thing to me. Since I been usingcold water, Hair never sheds from my head on its own, and it doesn't even shed when i run my hands through my hair.

But last year hair thinning was never an issue or something that i noticed, because I quit cutting hair cause acn made me so fed up i figured whats the point, of cutitn my hair i'll still look bad. So I let my hair get long and sloppy when i started tane and I didn't cut it till I was nearly done with tane. So i kept my hair long and thick, hair thinning couldn't even be a factor for me because my hair was already to long and thick, its not possible to just become thin.

2nd off, I've scene some1 else who was on accutane, and he coincidently did the same thing, but im not sure for what reason, but he never cut his hair for the entire course and it was long and sloppy and too long to even become thin.

So guys if your scared about hair thinning, just grow your hair out, because what you already have can't become thin.

And last, accutane rarely causes hair thinning, so I doubt it will even cause you hair problems, and if you think it is, chances are its just in your head. But if you wanna avoid the issue, just dont have your hair cut, because then youknow it will remain thick, no chance of what you already have thinning.

2nd off, accutane DOES NOT cause HAIRLOSS. Its a reported side effect that in RARE cases it can cause HAIR THINNING, but its mild.

It's TEMPORARY hair loss, but it IS hairloss. And it's not terribly rare, i think the rate is 13% if i recall correctly.

But if your worried about hair thinning while on accutane, just simply do this:

Don't cut your hair during the accutane course and thats it!

Grow your hair out and just leave it alone. Figure it this way. If you already have thick hair, the hair on your head isn't all of a sidden gonna become thin, thats not possible. Once you have thick hair, it stays thick (hair is dead so it doesn't change while its on your head).

I can see that you don't understand Accutane-induced hairloss at all, because this makes no sense. The thinning referred to is not a thinning of individual shafts, it's a diffuse thinning of the scalp which means that hairs fall out in handfuls.

Accutane causes a type of hairloss called telogen effluvium. The short explanation is that Accutane stresses the body, and the body puts many more hairs than normal into the resting (telogen) phase. After Accutane is over, or when the body adjusts to it, the hairs reactivate en masse (enter the anagen state) and the new hairs push the old ones that were dormant out of the follicle. This happens all the time, every day, to everyone with hair - but with telogen effluvium, so many hairs are reactivated at once that noticeable thinning occurs. It can continue for several months after the course is over and then should normalize.

My advise is the exact opposite - get your hair cut. Losing several short hairs a day is much less traumatic than losing the same amount of long hairs, because with long hairs you feel like you have lost " a whole handful" of hair.

Oh, and - sorry to shoot you down like that. I know you were just trying to ease people's fears.

I'm sorry but growing your hair long does nothing to prevent hair thinning/loss should it occur. You are right that if you have thick hair you will continue to have thick hair. Thick hair doesn't become thin in 6 months, let alone a year. HOWEVER, hair can gradually become thinner in certain areas. I grew out my hair for 3 years, and I have always had naturally thick hair. My hair was well past my shoulders at its longest length. During the last year or so of having long hair I noticed that my hair seemed to be thinning on the front left side... for a while I figured I was just being paranoid, but it wasn't until I hacked off all my hair that I could really tell that I had been right, my hair was thinning in that area. Now that I've just started taking accutane I have been concerned about that left corner that's quite thinner then the right, worried that the thinning will be accelerated by accutane... but for now I'll just have to wait and see. My advise to anyone who has thick (or thin) hair who has noticed some thinning taking place, if it is really bothering you then go order some Rogaine foam. Depending on your age, the thinning of your hair might not even be from accutane, it might be from age so don't freak out too much. Some of us lose a little hair as we age, shit happens.

LOL, accutane isn't THAT serious a drug that it stresses your body enough to cause hairloss. If you have long hair, accutane wont thin that. And it may cause alil shedding, but no serious hair loss. My derm totally discredits accutane and hairloss. She claimed 1 had nothing to do with the other and ensured me it wouldn't cause me any hairloss. not saying my derm was fully right but, if accutane was that serious a threat towards hairloss she wouldn'tof said that.

Gross.. if your hair was thinning and you were a guy, why would you want to grow it out so its all wispy haha.

i meant grow it out before you start tane, dis way it'll be too thick to even start thinning.

LOL, accutane isn't THAT serious a drug that it stresses your body enough to cause hairloss. If you have long hair, accutane wont thin that. And it may cause alil shedding, but no serious hair loss. My derm totally discredits accutane and hairloss. She claimed 1 had nothing to do with the other and ensured me it wouldn't cause me any hairloss. not saying my derm was fully right but, if accutane was that serious a threat towards hairloss she wouldn'tof said that.

not to be rude but what are you basing this all on? I dont see the connection in growing hair longer and reducing hair thining? It might or it might not be related directly to the drug but it is noticed and probably why its been documented.

But like you my derm was not concerned when i asked him about it.

not to be rude but what are you basing this all on? I dont see the connection in growing hair longer and reducing hair thining? It might or it might not be related directly to the drug but it is noticed and probably why its been documented.

But like you my derm was not concerned when i asked him about it.

Basically what I meant was, Accutane doesn't cause serious hairloss, not like you'll go bald from it. If it thins your hair, that means your hair will grow back thinner. So if you already grow your hair out long and thick, it wont change. Hair is dead so what you have can't all of a sudden become thin.

If it thins your hair, that means your hair will grow back thinner. So if you already grow your hair out long and thick, it wont change. Hair is dead so what you have can't all of a sudden become thin.

Again, the thinning Accutane causes is not a thinning of the hair shaft, it is a thinning of the SCALP. Your hair falls out. Which means that you have less haircount than before. The hairs will grow in as thick (in diameter) as they ever did, but there will be less scalp coverage until the new hairs fill in. That is what is meant by "thinning" in this context.

I have experienced accutane thinning and it sucks and it is a very real side effect. It's like beenthere said- diffuse thinning all over. I can't wait for my hair to grow back in after I get the accutane out of my system.

JMUtf1 your rather opiniated but you dont know what your talking about! As dumb as it is i have lost a lot of hair from taking that stuff so there you go it does give u thinner hair. In my case it looks to be getting even thinner and thinner and thinner i started noticing only after i finished my course but it was no real concern here we are 2 years lata and my hair is thin as which sucks.

BEWARE

this could happen to you. So dont speak too soon

2nd off, accutane DOES NOT cause HAIRLOSS. Its a reported side effect that in RARE cases it can cause HAIR THINNING, but its mild. Its so mild that you'll notice it and freak out but no1 else will notice it. Accutane wont make your hairline recede back, wont give you a big bald spot.