Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notcool

if my derm suggests tane...

Hey guys

Same old story. I have had acne sine about 16, still have it and am turning 22 in a few months. Mild to moderate case.

Even though it is not severe, my derm has suggested tane in the past and I turned it down. Asking for something like differin and a change in antibiotics.

I have my checkup the day before thanksgiving, and believe she may ask me if I would try tane because to tell you the truth I trust her and she has told me before that nothing else is working which is fairly obvious.

If she offers, or if I ask and she agrees, would you suggest a course of tane? I know there are posts like this, but im looking for some personal responses.

I know it is a powerful drug and there are side effects while I will be on it and following the course. I will be able to get through that, but will be furious if the acne comes back after the course. Mostly because of the cost of the drug.

Any ideas - suggestions for accutane and mild/moderate acne?

thanks

if you have very mild acne, i wouldn't do it. but for moderate acne, that leaves lots of red marks, i would definitely take accutane. what it does for you is completely worth the side effects. so far my side effects are mild. just dry skin and lips which are easily taken care of with moisturizer and chapstick.

Do you have insurance? it is usually covered by insurance. there is no way to tell if the acne will come back. if it does it will most likely be milder.

Good luck.

if you have very mild acne, i wouldn't do it. but for moderate acne, that leaves lots of red marks, i would definitely take accutane. what it does for you is completely worth the side effects. so far my side effects are mild. just dry skin and lips which are easily taken care of with moisturizer and chapstick.

Do you have insurance? it is usually covered by insurance. there is no way to tell if the acne will come back. if it does it will most likely be milder.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

I am not sure if my acne is mild or moderate. I just saw mild cause I have seen some of the pictures of moderate and severe. Right now i have two large red bumps - dont think they are cystic cause I presume the will be gone in about a week - and generally they done come to a head.

I am insured - my dad takes care of it. All i know is that I pay $45 for differin tube and 45 for dynacin pills. Doesnt seem tooooo cheap to me - would be terrified to see what tane costs.

I guess I will ahve to speak with my derm about this one.

any other thoughts?

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated.

I am not sure if my acne is mild or moderate. I just saw mild cause I have seen some of the pictures of moderate and severe. Right now i have two large red bumps - dont think they are cystic cause I presume the will be gone in about a week - and generally they done come to a head.

I am insured - my dad takes care of it. All i know is that I pay $45 for differin tube and 45 for dynacin pills. Doesnt seem tooooo cheap to me - would be terrified to see what tane costs.

I guess I will ahve to speak with my derm about this one.

any other thoughts?

I disagree totally with Jordan19. Take the accutane if your acne bothers you and does not respond satisfactorily to other treatments. This "mild" vs. "moderate" vs. "severe" is just not worth talking about. for one thing, who can say what is what? Secondly, if it bothers you and affects your life and does not respond to other treatments, it is a serious condition for you regardless of what others say.

I've taken it for condition that many others might say "isn't worth it". For me it was well worth it and I have never ever regretted it. The side effects, regardless of what others say are (1) generally not detrimental to your healh (e.g. dry skin and lips) (2) can be monitored easily if they are detrimental to your health (e.g. cholesterol and liver functions) (3) are uncommon and (4) reverse if you reduce the dosage or quit the med.

My personal advice: if your dermatologist is recommending it, there is no doubt in my mind you should go for it. Good luck.

I used to say that my acne was only mild to moderate, and I guess it was. But now that accutane has made me clear, I look back at my before pictures and cringe. Mild acne is still acne, still embarrassing and still will ruin your whole day(3 days or even a week sometimes)!! You will feel a zillion times better when your face is clear and you don't have to worry about it! Do the tane!

i was just saying it's not worth it for non inflammatory acne. like blackheads and whiteheads, for me anyway.

Sorry, I misunderstood. WE're probably both giving the same advice.

I've heard of it used for non-inflamatory as well, but I haen't had personal experience.

i was just saying it's not worth it for non inflammatory acne. like blackheads and whiteheads, for me anyway.

Sorry, I misunderstood. WE're probably both giving the same advice.

I've heard of it used for non-inflamatory as well, but I haen't had personal experience.

yeah, that's what i meant by mild.