Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
so damn unpretty

the "highly sensitive child"

ever heard of the term?

well i found out last night that according to my psych I am one :ninja:

A highly sensitive child is one of the fifteen to twenty percent of children born with a nervous system that is highly aware and quick to react to everything. This makes them quick to grasp subtle changes, prefer to reflect deeply before acting, and generally behave conscientiously. They are also easily overwhelmed by high levels of stimulation, sudden changes, and the emotional distress of others

apparently this is a lot of the reason why i have intense reactions to everything, including and mostly of my skin, have panic attacks exc

but it's not my fault!

i was born with it :shifty:

Highly Sensitive Child?

I'm sorry, but that sounds insulting. It's like calling someone a petulant child who doesn't know how to control their emotions. I don't know about all this psych stuff-not to condemn it or anything-it just seems that there's a term for everything with the psychological community. Everyone has a disorder :rolleyes: . Those symptoms you list above, I have all of them, does that make me a Highly Sensitive Child? I think you're just stressed from having acne, we all are. But your not a child.

Don't take it to heart, you'll be ok.

O.o

Highly Sensitive Child?

I'm sorry, but that sounds insulting. It's like calling someone a petulant child who doesn't know how to control their emotions. I don't know about all this psych stuff-not to condemn it or anything-it just seems that there's a term for everything with the psychological community. Everyone has a disorder :rolleyes: . Those symptoms you list above, I have all of them, does that make me a Highly Sensitive Child? I think you're just stressed from having acne, we all are. But your not a child.

Don't take it to heart, you'll be ok.

O.o

not not a child now, just apparently i had that when i was a child and now i'm a highly sensitive person. :doubt:

I've started to read the book on it though. And i can relate to a lot of stuff in it. Could just be a bunch of crap :whistle: lol i duno

Don't think of yourself like that.

Your are a completely normal person (unless your somekind of psychopathic serial killer, but i digress). This is where people become messed up, when someone with a degree tells them they have a this or that disorder, than we believe it because, hey! they have degrees. This is the kind of thinking that people use to get away from confronting themselves and allowing themselves to be normal and happy. It's in your head, and it inhibits you from allowing yourself to think your perfectly ok, and this isn't good.

it doesnt exactly sound like a disorder though..just a description lol

like im a highly illogical thinker lol

she told me it's not a disorder but only 20 % of people are BORN with it

like you don't just have these characteristics sometimes

you have them your whole life, acne or not

I had a lot of them when i was really young and didn't really have any stressors :think:

I am a highly depressed and insecure person, dammit :wall:

insecure is my middle name :doubt: lol

Guest ilovepancakes

highly sensitive kid? were you then, or have you become highly sensitive. I never remember being depressed or anything when i was a kid. good times, good times. :|

highly sensitive kid? were you then, or have you become highly sensitive. I never remember being depressed or anything when i was a kid. good times, good times. :|

i was really shy, introverted, i cried over little things, i was a pretty sensitive kid :blush:

Now, depression is real. I wouldn't argue that depression is an actual psychological disorder, being a manic depressive myself, but the things psychologists come up with these days...*sighs*...they all want us to be wackos. :wacko:

O.o

its a true statement some people are hypersensitive its part of a lack of self worth usually resulting from a chemical imbalance.

Because they're super smart, they don't fit in as well, they learn to hide and block their feelings and thoughts which work overtime.

its not a curse, its a gift. you just have to use it consturctively and you can do anything.

i'm very much an advocate of my disoder is not a curse but a gift.

i have severe ADD/OCD/HYPERMANIA/ANXIETY/DEPRESSION yes. those are ALL the medically diagnosed comorbidities. i hate it but i love that they mean that maybe i can understand things others can't. thats why i'm going into medicine. i want to be the one that understands.

Don't think of yourself like that.

Your are a completely normal person (unless your somekind of psychopathic serial killer, but i digress). This is where people become messed up, when someone with a degree tells them they have a this or that disorder, than we believe it because, hey! they have degrees. This is the kind of thinking that people use to get away from confronting themselves and allowing themselves to be normal and happy. It's in your head, and it inhibits you from allowing yourself to think your perfectly ok, and this isn't good.

i'm cool with being highly sensitive coz i understand/accept that about myself...some of my worst traits and some of my best traits are because of it!

its a true statement some people are hypersensitive its part of a lack of self worth usually resulting from a chemical imbalance.

Because they're super smart, they don't fit in as well, they learn to hide and block their feelings and thoughts which work overtime.

its not a curse, its a gift. you just have to use it consturctively and you can do anything.

i'm very much an advocate of my disoder is not a curse but a gift.

i have severe ADD/OCD/HYPERMANIA/ANXIETY/DEPRESSION yes. those are ALL the medically diagnosed comorbidities. i hate it but i love that they mean that maybe i can understand things others can't. thats why i'm going into medicine. i want to be the one that understands.

I aint supersmart though :(

Loads of people are a bit odd as a kid........I never had a teddy or a comforter of any kind....unlike most children, always worried about my parents dying or me dying, developed mild OCD at 8, BUT I still loved being a kid.... a lot of people weren't the 100% all the time happy go lucky kid but it doesn't mean you have some personality flaw. Don't focus on what a psychologist tells you, they may call it a science but it has many flaws. If you don't like something about your personality you can do your best to change it, don't feel like you have been typed and blame everything on that. It's a cop out!

Loads of people are a bit odd as a kid........I never had a teddy or a comforter of any kind....unlike most children, always worried about my parents dying or me dying, developed mild OCD at 8, BUT I still loved being a kid.... a lot of people weren't the 100% all the time happy go lucky kid but it doesn't mean you have some personality flaw. Don't focus on what a psychologist tells you, they may call it a science but it has many flaws. If you don't like something about your personality you can do your best to change it, don't feel like you have been typed and blame everything on that. It's a cop out!

my family life from age 7-17 was so screwed up. I know it has hugely affected who I am and the way I think. Always negative. But I want to be able to get over things that happened in the past that still control how I am now. I want to learn to let go of the situations and forgive people because right now it feels like they are still controlling me because i hold resentment/anger towards them for hurting me so much. But really if i keep that all i am doing is punishing myself and letting them win

I wish therapy was a one answer cure all then we would all be fine! I used to get panic attacks and I know that the worst thing I could have done was talk about them......would have just reinforced the idea I suffer from panic disorder when i didn't want to become habituated to that idea. So I took medication to ease things and tried to follow the 'linden method' approach. But my panic attacks weren't deep routed, I just had a one off which spiralled.

Sometimes I have mixed views about therapy, I had something happen when I was younger that would have definately been something a doctor would ahve sent me to a counsellor for but I just distracted myself from it, I let myself think about it constantly for a week and then just thought now move on......and slowly it just became as if it happened to someone else and I don't really feel affected by it. I jut worry therapy may sometimes reinforce something in your mind too much, then you will never escape it. I dunno....just babbling now!

I just think the mind is a very powerful tool, and you can re-train it to some extent, you just need to learn ways to do that. Don't feel like you can't change.