Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs. N

My Joppa Review

Well, I got it a few days ago, and have been practicing, but it's rather hard to tell exactly what I'm going to end up with once I'm off the Accutane and back to normal skin. I have to put on such heavy moisturizer, and I think the Joppa is sort of interacting with it in a weird way.

I got the Lightest #1 (I am VERY fair), but my skin is a little pink and mottled right now after my first month of Accutane, so maybe the next color would have been better. I think on my usual face this would look right, and it's the exact color of my neck.

When I first put it on, I had WAY too much on my brush, and not exactly the right brush, either, so I looked like I had smeared flour all over my face. Then it was so well adhered (this stuff does NOT rub off!) that I had to totally rewash my face and try over. Next few times were a little better.

What I like about it is that it's VERY light; doesn't feel like cakey powder, but still manages to give good coverage. I have large pores on my nose where my blackheads have all fallen out, and it sort of settles in there into little white polkadots, so I think I'm going to get a few makeup sponges and see if I can smooth things out. I'm still not sure I'm using it exactly right, and need to search this forum a little more closely to learn your secrets.

Anyway, I am happy I tried it, and with time I hope to get it to work well. It's nice not to have globby feeling foundation on, especially now that my skin is reasonably clear! :clap:

Im glad you havent given up on it. There is truly a learning curve when it comes to applying mineral makeup.

The best advice I can offer is try applying as little as you can and then look at yourself in natural light...if you still think you need more coverage apply lightly once again.

Some people use the buffing method which involves moving the brush in a circular motion around on different spots on your face, but I find that bc Joppa offers such great coverage this method isnt so effective with Joppa Minerals. Instead, I sweep the minerals across my face. Usually, one very light layer is sufficient even though I have spots to cover.

Make sure to moisturize thoroughly before applying your minerals. I like to make sure my moisturizer dries completely before applying the minerals as well. Some people actually mix the minerals into their moisturizer to created a tinted moisturizer--I have yet to try this.

Seriously, it took me about 2 wks of applying this stuff before I had the art perfected, but now i apply the minerals in the morning in record time and my skin looks amazing. Mineral makeup is one of the best things Ive done for my and Joppa is the best mmu i have tried.

1. :shock: i can't believe someone else besides me actually bought "lightest #1"!! i'm astounded. i am not the only ghost with acne! :ninja::lol:

2. longshot and her continous rave reviews... lol. i said this to spikeyli once, and i'll say it to you: i think you should start charging amy for advertising. :D

3. i'm so excited --- my joppa HAS arrived, but it's at my mom's! (i get my mail delivered there, b/c packages always disappear around here.) she called me this morning to tell me. but i can't get it til tomorrow, when i drive over there for a dr. appt! i'm going to have to sleep tonight, knowing my minerals are within arm's length... :doh::lol:

ah well.

actually, this post is really interesting for a few reasons -- helps me get a better sense of both what to expect with the color i ordered, and what to expect w/joppa in general. with all the great reviews, im afraid of getting my hopes up & then being disappointed.

longshot, what moisturizer do you use? still the emu oil? i've been using jojoba on my "normal" face skin, but still cannot put any kind of moisture whatsoever on my "affected" chin & around the mouth. moisturizer lotions, creams, and even jojoba oil always itch, burn, cause redness/inflammation, etc. plus i break out. i hope i can use the joppa without a moisturizer, but im a little worried.

Aha, longshot! Perhaps that's part of my problem---- maybe my moisturizer (and I use Axle Grease, uh, I mean Cetaphil Tub Cream) isn't dry and soaked in enough when I put on the Joppa. I'll try that this morning, and go out in natural light to take a look. I really think this may end up being a product I really love!

And yes, Clear Dream, another ghost-thing here, too! I can't tell you how many times I've bought foundation that was the lightest they offered, only to get it home and see that it was too pink/too gray/ etc. Spent a FORTUNE in college once, really splurged on some Clarins foundation after getting one of those free makeup jobbies at the makeup counter. She assured me it was the perfect shade, that what I was using was washing me out, etc. Well, I wasn't quite sure, but I trusted her--- she worked at Macy's; of COURSE she was the expert. Well, I get it home, and after a few uses, and looking at myself in my mirror outside, I am pink like bubblegum and have a definite line of demarcation at my neck where the foundation stopped. SO much money wasted. And that was back in the days when I was living on Ramen Noodles when they used to be 20 for a dollar! Anyway, I do hope you like it! Please let us know how it goes!

These are moisturizers that did not break me out (but as everyone is different, they may not work for all):

Lac Hydrin Five--this has AHA in it and if applied lightly wont make me look oily.

Jojoba Oil--I have to use this very sparingly because otherwise I look oily

Emu Oil--although this feels oilier than jojoba, it gets absorbs better by my skin and so I dont look oily with Emu Oil.

Right now I am alternating between Jojoba and Emu Oil. I like them both very much. To me the key is to get an unscented moisturizer--all the scented ones eventually made me break out. And like cleardream said, I avoid moisturizing an area wear I am breaking out badly. I feel like moisturizer feeds it (unless of course the area is flaky). Good luck!

I just got my sampler from Joppa n i jus put it on. i only got the foundation and finishing silk. i think i put 2 much on. hmm.. i used semi-matte light 1. i also have full matte in light 2. thats what Amy suggested for me anyway. i need more pract!! haha. does anyone use a concealer with joppa mineral foundation?? or you just dont need it? i have samples from everyday minerals and was considering trying their concealer w/ joppa foundation. i just got the concealer brush and used the finishing silk as a concealer. i dont know if that worked haha

I too use Lightest # 1 foundation.... though I just got a refill packet of Rose Lightest and I believe it may be even better (though lightest # 1 is still a good match).

As far as concealer is concerned, I just started using the Joppa Under Eye balm. I also use a concealer brush with my foundation to go over any areas that need extra coverage after I have applied my foundation.

Joppa's Finishing Silk is a MUST!! For anyone using different brands of minerals adding Finishing Silk controls oil and also makes minerals have more staying power and no easy rub offs! currently using EDM and although it easily rubs off with Finishing Silk applied over it's not so easy to rub off and my face isn't oil!!

I've been finding other Finishing Dust with great ingredients but nothing compares to it!

Joppa's finishing silk IS a must.

I wear both EM and Joppa, and with Joppa, I never use concealor, and that is with soft coverage.

I need to make a purchase of blush from Joppa, I hope I don't get any delays for my order. D:

Joppa's finishing silk IS a must.

I wear both EM and Joppa, and with Joppa, I never use concealor, and that is with soft coverage.

I need to make a purchase of blush from Joppa, I hope I don't get any delays for my order. D:

My first ordered arrived a while ago and it was the medium 1 foundation and finishing silk. It works great. I love the finishing silk. its so....well....SILKY looking . I just got Medium Light today because I'm getting more and more pale as winter approaches. I will try that tomorrow and see if there is a big difference in the color. I'm very happy.

Aha, longshot! Perhaps that's part of my problem---- maybe my moisturizer (and I use Axle Grease, uh, I mean Cetaphil Tub Cream) isn't dry and soaked in enough when I put on the Joppa.

funny... i'd been using cetaphil cream on my face too, but i think it was breaking me out. i've continued using it on my regular skin, but not my chin, where i have the acne. also weird is that even though it breaks me out on my chin, it doesn't seem to moisturize very well! so odd, since it does a stellar job on my hands, even when they're at their driest. on my crazy acne skin it just adds grease/shine, but doesn't soothe. :think:

And yes, Clear Dream, another ghost-thing here, too! I can't tell you how many times I've bought foundation that was the lightest they offered, only to get it home and see that it was too pink/too gray/ etc. Spent a FORTUNE in college once, really splurged on some Clarins foundation after getting one of those free makeup jobbies at the makeup counter. She assured me it was the perfect shade, that what I was using was washing me out, etc. Well, I wasn't quite sure, but I trusted her--- she worked at Macy's; of COURSE she was the expert. Well, I get it home, and after a few uses, and looking at myself in my mirror outside, I am pink like bubblegum and have a definite line of demarcation at my neck where the foundation stopped. SO much money wasted. And that was back in the days when I was living on Ramen Noodles when they used to be 20 for a dollar! Anyway, I do hope you like it! Please let us know how it goes!

omg... i've had the bubblegum experience too. or the wayyyy-too-brown/orange experience. i hate that! i'm always lighter than the lightest available! what really annoys me is when those "experts" tell me i'm wrong, that a particular shade is "too light for you," and then proceed to give me what they think i should want which is basically a too-dark shade, and a tanned look. but i don't want a facial tan! i want my natural skintone (acne- and hyperpigmentation-free :()! :mad:

that sucks about spending all that money though. did you try to return it? i once returned over $300 worth of laura mercier stuff at Nordstrom, all in 1 shot. needless to say, the saleslady was not pleased. but screw that. keep $300 worth of overpriced stuff that not only didn't look good, but broke me out, and that i'll never use again?! no way.

These are moisturizers that did not break me out (but as everyone is different, they may not work for all):

Lac Hydrin Five--this has AHA in it and if applied lightly wont make me look oily.

Jojoba Oil--I have to use this very sparingly because otherwise I look oily

Emu Oil--although this feels oilier than jojoba, it gets absorbs better by my skin and so I dont look oily with Emu Oil.

Right now I am alternating between Jojoba and Emu Oil. I like them both very much. To me the key is to get an unscented moisturizer--all the scented ones eventually made me break out. And like cleardream said, I avoid moisturizing an area wear I am breaking out badly. I feel like moisturizer feeds it (unless of course the area is flaky). Good luck!

really interesting stuff, longshot. i have only tried jojoba, and i agree about it not absorbing that well and looking shiny. i actually love it for the rest of my face, but it does nothing but irritate my acne area (which i have decided is also rosacea). i would try emu oil, but there's something about the idea of it that just makes me feel gross! like applying chicken oil to my face. :shifty: i dunno, maybe i'll try it eventually. just not right now (i have yet to even cook raw meat ever! :lol:)

i might try that lavender cream from Joppa. i cant remember -- have you tried that stuff? did it moisturize/absorb ok? i am thinking i'll need something to put under the Joppa makeup, but i want to choose wisely.

I too use Lightest # 1 foundation.... though I just got a refill packet of Rose Lightest and I believe it may be even better (though lightest # 1 is still a good match).

As far as concealer is concerned, I just started using the Joppa Under Eye balm. I also use a concealer brush with my foundation to go over any areas that need extra coverage after I have applied my foundation.

cool, shanky! ghosts unite! :lol:

yeah, i bought the under-eye balm too... hope i like it. :pray:

i might try that lavender cream from Joppa. i cant remember -- have you tried that stuff? did it moisturize/absorb ok? i am thinking i'll need something to put under the Joppa makeup, but i want to choose wisely.

I have not tried the lavender cream, but spikeyli has and highly recommends it so I think i might try it next time i order (i know spikeyli is picky especially about moisturizers so if she approves it's prob pretty good).

LOL, longshot got it right. I am super picky about my moisturizers and soaps because every freaking thing breaks me out!

I do recommend the lavender cream but on hot days I find it a little too heavy. So for winter blah skin it'd be perfect. For those hot summer oily days I use complex 15 or none at all. Actually I'm more leaning towards none at all during the day and complex 15 at night in the summer time.

I personally really like the lavender cream and can't wait til the weather get colder so I can use it during the day too. The smell is fantastic and it's not from chemical fragrance, it's from the lavender and orange essential oils.