Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A-Shizzle

Dermatologist appt next week... makeup or no makeup?

So after a 3 month wait I finally have my appt next Thursday.

I've never been to a Derm so I don't know if I'm suppose to go bare faced or what.

The thought of going out in public without powder on gives me anxiety but then I'm sure she needs to get a good look at my skin.

I'm really nervous. I don't let anyone touch my face-ever.

I would call the derm's office to ask but I'm just embarassed.

So makeup or no makeup?

Thanks!

^^^^maybe that's what I'll do.

It's just so embarrassing...but then I will be going to a Derm's office so everyone there is there for some skin related issue.

^^^^maybe that's what I'll do.

It's just so embarrassing...but then I will be going to a Derm's office so everyone there is there for some skin related issue.

yeah wear it, take it off in the room, and use the washroom after. Simple.

i went to the derm first time last week. it was just older people in the waiting room....and the appt. kind of sucked, the derm barely looked at my skin. just gave me some shots of something and i barely saw him....5 mins per patient? its awful.

to answer your question, i wore light make-up. i was mostly concerned with the acne on my back though, i dont have it on my face badly.

I don't wear makeup. I bring it in the car and put it on after the appointment though. I make the appointment for early morning so I don't have to see anyone besides the folks in the doctor's building. It's just a bunch of working people or people who are on their way to other doctors. Nobody cares what I look like as far as I can tell.

first time i went, i had no makeup apart from some concealer on my chin cause id broken out there badly and felt insecure. she asked me to take it off and gave me wipes. they wont look where i go unless youre make-up free. that was over a year ago, every other time since, ive went make-up free. seriously a derm appointment isnt the kind of situation you should feel anxious about being make-up free in. we all hate our skin problems, but virtually every single person waiting has problems too, they dont care, they probably have emphaty for you.

my advice. wear no make-up. they need to see what youre skin looks like bare in order to treat it, and having them sit and watch you take it all off will be worse than not having any one.

i guess i never found it hard cause i rarely wear makeup. i suppose if you often do, i see youre problem.

I know it's common sense to go without...so I will. Putting on/taking off and putting back on makeup would be a hassle.

I don't wear makeup around my neighborhood and when I do it's only powder..I think I'm more nervous at a stranger poking at my face than I am about what i look like.

Thanks for all the advice everyone..I appreciate it.

yeah dont wear any makeup at all. if you need to, just apply some powder afterward. if i have to show up somewhere without makeup i usually just put on some sunglasses and some nice lip gloss :)

Guest flutistgurl26

Yea just go without it. It would be really lame to go into a derm's office with makeup on. Don't worry, you'll just be around a bunch of people you'll probably never see again.. except for the people working at the office and your derm.. all people that are used to seeing skin conditions.

Hmm weird. I have a derm appointment next week too. After waiting three months. :)

It's been a couple years since I last saw one too. I'm actually kind of nervous, not really because of my acne as I don't have much anymore but more because of the waiting room and if the actual appointment will go well. My last derm was a retard. :confused:

But anyways, good luck with yours.

I don't think it would hurt to wear some foundation, just a bit, and then remove it when you get to your dermatologist's office, if that makes you feel a little better.

the first time i saw my current derm i had make up on. i had work afterwards and wouldnt have had time to put anything on. she didnt say anythign about it at all. simply looked at my face, saw where i was breaking out and saw what my history with meds were, gave me a new scripts and i was out of there...i might have been in there 10 minutes at most.

I have my appt. in 2 weeks. Since I'llbe coming from work, I WILL have makeup on, and am planning on using a "cleansing towlette" to take it off in the office (well, bathroom of the office) Then I'm going home so I don't care. UNless she gives me a 'script right away n whoch case I wl use my compact makeup. *sigh*

DO it without make up if you at all can. The derm has only seen me without makeup once, and that is when he told me I should go on Accutane. My skin looks bad now, but I STILL wear makeup to my appointment because I have to go straight to school afterwards...and I honestly think he has no idea how bad it is.

Definitely no makeup during the appointment. i hear some derms know their stuff so well, they can see all your lumps and bumps underneath makeup, but i think it's important to see the redness and inflammation.

I basically hide in a hat and behind my hair....run on the train with my ipod and read a mag. I HATE looking sooooooo yucky, but I'm getting used to it. I have at least 1 or 2 appointments to help my skin every week....it's never easy to leave the house (i have to take a deep breath)...but i feel like i have little to hide to my esthetician and derm who are both soooo compassionate and sweet, they make me tear up.