Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smoothasbabiesbottom

Cool Touch vs Fraxel

I am a patient at Dr. Suzanne Bruce Cosmetic Dermatology in Houston, TX and they tell me that Fraxel is not very effective with cooltouch. That both techniques target the same collagen layer. This doesn't make much sense to me from what I have read because Fraxel is ablative and Cooltouch is nonablative.

They told me that their patients who have used both Fraxel and Cooltouch were not pleased with the Fraxel results because the Cooltouch had already grown what collagen it could. After 6 Cooltouch treatments, they told me that anymore Cooltouch would be redundant and not effective on scarring.

Does anyone have anymore information on this? I have already gone through 6 treatments of Cooltouch and am now wondering if Fraxel would be effective in finishing off the faint icepick scars that I have after the Cooltouch treatments. I must say that Cooltouch was very effective in minimizing the scarring.

Wondering if the Fraxel setting has anything to do with the effectiveness and if my course of treatment is too conservative? I don't want to spend the money on Fraxel if it doesn't do anything.

I am a patient at Dr. Suzanne Bruce Cosmetic Dermatology in Houston, TX and they tell me that Fraxel is not very effective with cooltouch. That both techniques target the same collagen layer. This doesn't make much sense to me from what I have read because Fraxel is ablative and Cooltouch is nonablative.

They told me that their patients who have used both Fraxel and Cooltouch were not pleased with the Fraxel results because the Cooltouch had already grown what collagen it could. After 6 Cooltouch treatments, they told me that anymore Cooltouch would be redundant and not effective on scarring.

Does anyone have anymore information on this? I have already gone through 6 treatments of Cooltouch and am now wondering if Fraxel would be effective in finishing off the faint icepick scars that I have after the Cooltouch treatments. I must say that Cooltouch was very effective in minimizing the scarring.

Wondering if the Fraxel setting has anything to do with the effectiveness and if my course of treatment is too conservative? I don't want to spend the money on Fraxel if it doesn't do anything.

I'm not familiar with Cooltouch but I am with Faxel and Fraxel isn't totally ablative. Yes, it causes a bit of peeling but it's not like the CO2 laser or having dermabrasion.

Fraxel website This link will explain Fraxel a little better.

If Cooltouch stimulates collegan growth then the Fraxel does the same. If Dr. Brice won't do the Fraxel on you then I would take her word for it. I'm surprised she wouldn't but it makes me feel a little better about her office. I have been to her office before and saw another doctor who was less then helpful to me and my skin problems. I go to Dr. Friedman at the Dermsurgery of Houston. There is another poster here who see's another doctor at the same office and is doing Fraxel.

If you have recently finished your Cooltouch treatments you might want to wait a few more months to see if the faint scars you have left fill in. If they are faint then I wouldn't worry so much.

You might want to check out the last 20 pages of the Fraxel thread to see people's experience's with the Fraxel.

Good luck!

I'm not familiar with Cooltouch but I am with Faxel and Fraxel isn't totally ablative. Yes, it causes a bit of peeling but it's not like the CO2 laser or having dermabrasion.

Fraxel website This link will explain Fraxel a little better.

If Cooltouch stimulates collegan growth then the Fraxel does the same. If Dr. Brice won't do the Fraxel on you then I would take her word for it. I'm surprised she wouldn't but it makes me feel a little better about her office. I have been to her office before and saw another doctor who was less then helpful to me and my skin problems. I go to Dr. Friedman at the Dermsurgery of Houston. There is another poster here who see's another doctor at the same office and is doing Fraxel.

If you have recently finished your Cooltouch treatments you might want to wait a few more months to see if the faint scars you have left fill in. If they are faint then I wouldn't worry so much.

You might want to check out the last 20 pages of the Fraxel thread to see people's experience's with the Fraxel.

Good luck!

Bottom line here is if the Cooltouch and Fraxel give you the same results. Then do the Cooltouch and forget Fraxel because Cooltouch only costs $250-400 per session vs Fraxel at $1000-$1500 per session. You need 5 treatments with both.

Bottom line here is if the Cooltouch and Fraxel give you the same results. Then do the Cooltouch and forget Fraxel because Cooltouch only costs $250-400 per session vs Fraxel at $1000-$1500 per session. You need 5 treatments with both.

Did the maker of Cooltouch try to get it FDA approved for treatment of acne scarring? Anyone know?

Also, how does the depth that Cooltouch reaches compare to the depth that Fraxel reaches?

I don't think they are the same in terms of what they do.

Did the maker of Cooltouch try to get it FDA approved for treatment of acne scarring? Anyone know?

Also, how does the depth that Cooltouch reaches compare to the depth that Fraxel reaches?

Right, I asked my doctor about Cooltouch and he doesn't think it's very effective for deeper scarring. Right now I think the Fraxel goes the deepest.

I had about 6 treatments of Cool Touch a few years ago. I felt that it helped quite a bit in filling in the collagen. I had 6 Fraxel treatments starting last January, and I feel that I had even better results with that. I am going in for another 6 treatments with Fraxel 2 in January. Maybe they feel that you should wait a certain period of time before trying something else. I definetely saw more results with the Fraxel.

I had about 6 treatments of Cool Touch a few years ago. I felt that it helped quite a bit in filling in the collagen. I had 6 Fraxel treatments starting last January, and I feel that I had even better results with that. I am going in for another 6 treatments with Fraxel 2 in January. Maybe they feel that you should wait a certain period of time before trying something else. I definetely saw more results with the Fraxel.

How would you catagorize your scars (mild,mod.,severe)? Are you happy with your skin after 6 treatments? How was your setting level and how satisfied are you with your results now in range of 1-10? Why going for 6 more treament?

How would you catagorize your scars (mild,mod.,severe)? Are you happy with your skin after 6 treatments? How was your setting level and how satisfied are you with your results now in range of 1-10? Why going for 6 more treament?

I would catagorize my scarring as severe, because I've had acne and scarring for 30 years. I believe I had about 30% improvement after my first Fraxel. I started at level 18 and ended up at 24. The scars are much smoother, especially on my cheeks, and there is filling in of collagen. There is still a lot of room for improvement, so I'll be back for more in a couple of months.

I would catagorize my scarring as severe, because I've had acne and scarring for 30 years. I believe I had about 30% improvement after my first Fraxel. I started at level 18 and ended up at 24. The scars are much smoother, especially on my cheeks, and there is filling in of collagen. There is still a lot of room for improvement, so I'll be back for more in a couple of months.

I went and read couple of your posts. Was your first 6th treatment using a Palomar (spelling error)? Good luck with your current treatment and I like to hear your progress on the Fraxel thread.

I went and read couple of your posts. Was your first 6th treatment using a Palomar (spelling error)? Good luck with your current treatment and I like to hear your progress on the Fraxel thread.

No, I was under the impression I was getting the Fraxel 2, when, in fact, it was the Palomar. I had 2 treatments with the Palomar about a month and a half ago. I have switched doctors, and am waiting until the holidays are over to start this all again. I'm happy to be reading that most people so far are happy with Fraxel 2.

No, I was under the impression I was getting the Fraxel 2, when, in fact, it was the Palomar. I had 2 treatments with the Palomar about a month and a half ago. I have switched doctors, and am waiting until the holidays are over to start this all again. I'm happy to be reading that most people so far are happy with Fraxel 2.

I'm not sure If i'm understanding this. So how many treatments of Palomar did you have (2 right?)? And how many Fraxel2 treatment have you had? So you're saying you've had 6 treaments already w/ Fraxel (was it the Palomar, Fraxel1, or Fraxel 2)? You are going for 6 more with Fraxel2. So total you will be having 12 treatments excluding the 2 treatments w/ Palomar.

I'm not sure If i'm understanding this. So how many treatments of Palomar did you have (2 right?)? And how many Fraxel2 treatment have you had? So you're saying you've had 6 treaments already w/ Fraxel (was it the Palomar, Fraxel1, or Fraxel 2)? You are going for 6 more with Fraxel2. So total you will be having 12 treatments excluding the 2 treatments w/ Palomar.

I had 6 treatments with Fraxel 1 which started last January. I had 2 treatments a couple of months ago with the Palomar. I am currently waiting to have 6 treatments with the Fraxel 2 in January.

Cooltouch is FDA approved for scar treatment. I had 7 Cooltouch treatments. My doctor says that after 5 treatments, the law of diminishing returns sets in. She says improvement will not be much after 5. My scarring was icepick and some rolling. I saw a lot of improvement. I'd say about 60-70 percent better. A lot of little holes filled in but I still have some of the larger and deeper icepicks and the rolling ones are sort of filled in better but still there. I'd like to get rid of them totally but my doctor says that it's not possible.

Regarding the depth, the doctors tell me that the depth of the Cooltouch stimulates the same collagen layer that Fraxel is supposed to stimulate. Cooltouch however is a lot cheaper and a lot less pain.

Don't know if this statement is contradictory to anyone else's experiences who have had both Cooltouch and Fraxel. I saw one poster who's doctor was giving her both Cooltouch and Fraxel at the same time so I"m wondering if the two treatments are better together or if Fraxel can basically finish off what Cooltouch started. Perhaps the beam setting at Dr. Bruce's clinic wasn't high enough for the Fraxel. The entire array of available treatments is confusing.

Cooltouch is FDA approved for scar treatment. I had 7 Cooltouch treatments. My doctor says that after 5 treatments, the law of diminishing returns sets in. She says improvement will not be much after 5. My scarring was icepick and some rolling. I saw a lot of improvement. I'd say about 60-70 percent better. A lot of little holes filled in but I still have some of the larger and deeper icepicks and the rolling ones are sort of filled in better but still there. I'd like to get rid of them totally but my doctor says that it's not possible.

Regarding the depth, the doctors tell me that the depth of the Cooltouch stimulates the same collagen layer that Fraxel is supposed to stimulate. Cooltouch however is a lot cheaper and a lot less pain.

Don't know if this statement is contradictory to anyone else's experiences who have had both Cooltouch and Fraxel. I saw one poster who's doctor was giving her both Cooltouch and Fraxel at the same time so I"m wondering if the two treatments are better together or if Fraxel can basically finish off what Cooltouch started. Perhaps the beam setting at Dr. Bruce's clinic wasn't high enough for the Fraxel. The entire array of available treatments is confusing.

It's true, you can't totally remove all of your scars. I think we all need to remember this and be happy with the improvments we do get from all of these different treatments (myself included ;). If I got 60-70% improvment I would be very happy.

When I saw a Derm at Dr. Brice's practice she overwhelmed me with all the different laser options and didn't spend any time explaining any of them. I came in for milia and not even scar treatments and she barely looked at my face. She just like all derms I have seen she was less then helpful.

You might post your question about the difference between Cooltouch and Fraxel in the long Fraxel thread. There are a few really informed posters over there who can answer your questions.

Cooltouch was a huge waste of money for me - $2400! Choose Active FX for about the same money!