Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foxygoddess

Antibiotics and Yeast Infections

Yet another question!

I have been on Doxycycline for about 2.5 years, and recently have switched to Trimethoprim (2 months so far) because I became immune to doxy. I was doing some reading on the internet, as I haven't felt quite healthy ever since beginning the antibiotics... I discovered that all of these symptoms are related to a yeast infection, which can be brought on by prolonged antibiotic use. I want to be healthy again!!! At the same time, I do not want to put up with acne.

My question is this: would Accutane be a better course of action for my mild/moderate inflamed acne?

Thanks.

Edited by foxygoddess

Have you tried supplements like acidopholous or yoghurt? They can help with balancing your body's flora (is this even the right word? :shifty: )

I've tried yogurt and cranberry juice...I think because I've been on the anti's so long my body's immune system is slowly breaking down to the point where all of these symptoms are now unmistakable. This summer I got toenail fungus (yeast is a fungus, another symptom of the systemic infection) and I'm using vick's vapo rub to try and get rid of it as my insurance won't cover treatment.

I had chronic yeast infections due to systemic antibiotics prescribed for acne and i absolutely refuse to ever take them for that purpose again. I'd bring this up to your derm and ask for an Accutane course.

In the meantime - i've been using a product called Azo Yeast. It works better than any yeast treatment i've ever used - OTC or prescription. They have it at my Walgreens in the same area as the Monostat stuff. I took it at the dose for an active infection listed on the bottle (3 per day) for 10 days, then switched to the maintainance dose of one a day. Awesome stuff. I noticed no side effects.

Have you tried supplements like acidopholous or yoghurt? They can help with balancing your body's flora (is this even the right word? :shifty: )

those won't do anything while your on antibiotics, the ABs will just kill them off anyway.

My question is this: would Accutane be a better course of action for my mild/moderate inflamed acne?

Quick answer, Yes.

Jordan19 I hate to pop your bubble but no antibiotics will not kill the probiotics you can get from yogurt or supplements. Each different antiobitic is targeted to a specific form of bacteria. Sometimes antiobiotics can have an effect on two different bacteria (like when my acne got slightly better with antibiotics I was taking for a sinus infection). There is no way that antibiotics kill off all bacteria, because there are some certain bacterias that our body must have to function. If every bacteria in our body was killed by antibiotics then a person who has been on them for a year or so, in theory,would have no acne bacteria left. As we can tell by the message boards here, that's not true. On our skin we actually have many protective bacteria that allow us to fight off infections and from certain harmful things that we touch.

Jordan19 I hate to pop your bubble but no antibiotics will not kill the probiotics you can get from yogurt or supplements. Each different antiobitic is targeted to a specific form of bacteria. Sometimes antiobiotics can have an effect on two different bacteria (like when my acne got slightly better with antibiotics I was taking for a sinus infection). There is no way that antibiotics kill off all bacteria, because there are some certain bacterias that our body must have to function. If every bacteria in our body was killed by antibiotics then a person who has been on them for a year or so, in theory,would have no acne bacteria left. As we can tell by the message boards here, that's not true. On our skin we actually have many protective bacteria that allow us to fight off infections and from certain harmful things that we touch.

the point of probiotics taken after antibiotics is to replace the bacteria the ABs have killed off. so, obviously they are just going to be killed off by the ABs. Most Antibiotics used to treat acne are broad spectrum meaning they don't just kill the P. acnes, they kill other bacteria as well. including friendly bacteria found in probiotics. probiotics are useless while your on antibiotics. if i were the original poster i would try to start accutane, stop the antibiotic and start a probiotic.

Guest Guest_foxygoddess_*

Thanks for the input everyone, I was thinking that Accutane would be my only other option...I was just worried that my derm wouldn't prescribe it as it is beginning to clear with topicals and the NEW anti he put me on, so it doesn't look all that bad at the moment...although I know it's very persistent and it WILL return if I get off the anti's.

And BTDT, I was researching another kind of probiotic supplement...It's called...uh...ThreeLac. I heard rave reviews about it so I ordered some and was gonna give it a try, although I do suppose I'll need to be off the antibiotic before it can truly take effect. I mean, it will probably HELP my symptoms while I'm still on the anti, but I think it would just be a waste of money to take it while the anti is continuing to support the yeast growth...right? Cause wouldn't they just counteract each other?

The hype for the type that's in Azo is that it's in spore form and is supposedly anti-biotic resistant. I don't know if that's really true or not. Normally you are supposed to use the probiotic after the antibiotic course is over - and the problem with antibiotic courses for acne is that they are indefinite. I'm not sure if it would help at all to take probiotics while taking antibiotics, but it couldn't hurt. Worst case, you're wasting your money. Best case, you may be able to prop up your system a bit. If you're going to take both, take them at opposite times of the day, that might help.

I would call your derm and explain about the chronic yeast infections - if your derm doesn't tell you to stop taking the antibiotics, then frankly you need a new derm. You could ask for a topical antibiotic and topical retinoid (not sure what topicals you are on now) instead of the systemic antibiotic.

Well, I received my ThreeLac today in the mail but I've decided that I'm gonna hold off using it until I *hopefully* get prescribed Accutane. My next appointment isn't until December 5th, but right now I'm waiting on a packet in the mail from Freemedicineprogram.com (a site that helps you get meds you can't afford for free). I will need cooperation from my derm on that as well, but first I need to ask him if he even PRESCRIBES accutane...I read on here that some derms just don't because of the hassle with iPledge. Anyway, he's an older guy and seems to be one of those types that are in it for the money...like, he's in and he's out of the room in less than five minutes usually. Problem is, he's the only derm in my town and the closest town with more derms is 70 miles away!! I guess if he doesn't prescribe Accutane for me I'll have no choice but to make the drive to the other town once a month.

Anyway, I've tried lots of topical creams so far...Retin-A I was allergic to and it made my acne so much worse. Prescription-grade benzoyl peroxide was pretty good, but it made my skin red and irritated and only stopped the acne from getting larger, it didn't really help it shrink any faster. Um...I tried Vanoxide-HC, that was the best for me (it had benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortisone to get rid of the inflammation). Unfortunately, a tiny bottle of that stuff (no generics available) costs $53.00 and lasts about three weeks. So...that was out. I've tried topical Clindamycin (Cleocin-T I believe is the brand name) and that really did nothing much...I continue to wear it under my makeup during the day just to use it up and *hopefully* stop a few pimples from forming. Right now I'm using samples of Klaron on my active acne at night...it's alright I guess for preventing small pimples from getting bigger, but the big ones come no matter what. It's really frustrating. This week my stomach felt like crap so I didn't take my antibiotics for one day...well, that night a big lump (I think those red inflamed ones under the skin are nodules, right?) formed on my right cheek, where no acne had been for a good month due to the antibiotics and my topicals. In addition, I woke up the next morning with four more inflamed ones across my face, which had been smaller and less noticeable (not red and painful) the day before. The next day I took my antibiotics again and the swelling and redness went down a little, and this morning they were even less red but they are still painful. It's pretty evident that my acne will definitely come back without the antibiotics...I was doing so good, too. *sigh*

Well, I guess my next appointment will determine where I go from here, but I have another question first. My skin is pretty dry naturally, I always use a good moisturizer on my face and body so that it doesn't feel "tight" after I get out of the shower. I heard Accutane dries everything out...is this going to be a big problem for me? Will I flake like crazy? Oh...and I was wondering if starting out the course with a really low dose and slowly working up will help with the side effects? I'm really not looking forward to the dry skin and split lips!

*Edit: BTDT, I looked into that AZO Yeast you mentioned and saw that it was for the more "intimate" infections. I don't have a problem down there at the moment (I only had that once back when I first started doxy), it's mostly digestive issues and other symptoms related to the "systemic" infection, pretty much just too much yeast in my digestive tract. The symptoms are more widespread in this kind of infection (ones I have experienced are marked with a +, however this is a shortened list of what systemic infections can cause):

* Constant fatigue +

* Oral Thrush (white film in mouth or on tongue) + (not sure, maybe)

* Abdominal pain +

* Bloating and indigestion +

* Joint pain with arthritis-like symptoms + (my joints have been "popping" loudly lately, sometimes just when I walk or turn a certain way...weird, no pain though)

* Chronic sinus drainage -which antibiotics don't help!

* Weight loss OR gain and the inability to change it.

* Brain "fog" +

* Fungus on the finger or toe-nails + (developed this summer)

* Urinary infections (again, not helped by antibiotics) + (had a few in the past while on anti's)

* Itching, red eyes

* Skin rashes anywhere on the body (eczema)

* Rashes inside the ears or around the groin area

* Anal or vaginal rashes and itching

* Hair loss

* Vaginal Infections (I did develop this when first starting doxy, but it cleared quickly with another prescription)

So yeah...I posted that just in case anyone else using antibiotics has experienced some of these issues...generally systemic yeast makes you feel unhealthy overall. Yeast is nasty. It's just downright foul. I want to get rid of it asap! Bring on the Accutane!!! :pray:

have you tried Echinecea? its a natural remedy thats a good immune booster, I always take it after a course of antibiotics for anything. It wouldnt be reccomeded for constant use but its good to get your immune system back on track again, which you sound like ya need, ya poor thing. I hope you get your accutaneas well, clear skin isnt worth all those side effects.