Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doppleganger

Is it okay to use unused, 1+ year old tubes of Differin/Clindamycin???

Back in the beginning of September, 2005 I took my last visit to a dermatologist. In that brief visit, I was subscribed 10% Clindamycin (for day use), Differin Gel (for night use) and a BP-based cleanser, seeing as I mentioned to the derm that BP clashed with my overly oily face and often left residue and took forever to absorb.

Subsequently I got a bottle of the Clindamycin and a tube of Differin, but due to a mistake on the derm's part wasn't quick to get the cleanser, which I eventually decided to forget about. And as it turns out, I also forgot/procrastinated on using the Clindamycin and Differin tubes that I got and they've been sitting on my shelf since early September 2005. Now that I'm in an acne crisis and can't get an appointment with the derm set up just yet, I'm looking to try the medications that I was suppose to use over a year ago.

I'm asking this because both medications have an expiration dates at about mid-to-late 2007 (wouldn't be asking if the tubes were both close to if not expired already). So, is it still safe/wise to use them??? The only other medication I have on my shelf is..................Clerasil's 10%BP, an OTC product..........

No. The expiration date only applies if the tubes have been kept refrigerated the whole time. If they are just sitting out at room temp, they have a shelf life of only 2 months. Sorry, but they're useless.

No. The expiration date only applies if the tubes have been kept refrigerated the whole time. If they are just sitting out at room temp, they have a shelf life of only 2 months. Sorry, but they're useless.

where do you get your info? ive had the same bottle of clindamycin that ive been using since the end of july, so thats 4 months now that its been sitting at room temp. i was never told to keep them refrigerated.

I am usind Duac and Differin. Both are kept refrigerated in the pharmacy to make sure they stay fresh. Once you take them home, you're supposed to finish them within 2 months. It says to discard the product if you haven't finished it by then. Duac is clindamycin and BP.

I am usind Duac and Differin. Both are kept refrigerated in the pharmacy to make sure they stay fresh. Once you take them home, you're supposed to finish them within 2 months. It says to discard the product if you haven't finished it by then. Duac is clindamycin and BP.

I used to use Duac, and used tubes of it for months on end without refrigerating as well as other acne medications. Though this time around I have a bottle of strictly clindamycin, not Duac. I dunno if it's the nature of the product, but the Clindamycin is pretty "liquid" and not very solid. Both the clindamycin and the Differin tube have been sitting in their boxes since Sept.2005 like I said.

i could be wrong, but that doesn't sound quite right.

I don't think differin has to be refrigerated. The exp date should be on the crimp on the bottom of the tube. The clindamycin is probably expired, you can still use it, I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have though.