Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siouxsie

Animal Testing

I have a question about animal testing (I know there are people here who can answer this). If they dont test the makeup on animals then on who do they test it or how do they test it to make sure it is safe? I dont mean this to be smart, I am genuinely curious.

I have a question about animal testing (I know there are people here who can answer this). If they dont test the makeup on animals then on who do they test it or how do they test it to make sure it is safe? I dont mean this to be smart, I am genuinely curious.

There are a lot of technology based ways to test products. They have certain computerized programs available that are more than 100% accurate in informing scietists of safety. It can provide information on how irritable a makeup product would be if lets say it gets into your eyes rather than prying open a rabbits eyes and pouring chemicals into them. Animal testing makes no sense because animals have different sensitivity than we do to certain things. Humans adopted to certain synthetic products because they happen to be EVERYWHERE, animals don't usually shampoo their fur, brush their teeth and chew gum so they will show a much different reaction to synthetic chemicals.

Plus, why would you want to use products made of such ingredients that they have to be tested for severe reactions? Many of those ingredients have the potential burn holes in the eyes of the animals being tested. There are methods to make sure products are safe that do not use animals, its just a matter of which company gives a damn and will spend money on the technology instead of using up burned up animals.

People. I could just leave it at that, but I'll elaborate......

I make makeup for a living. I'm a cosmetic chemist. The first thing I do when I formulate a product is make a batch and apply the product to my inner forearm, to see how it feels and to evaluate it's playtime and finish. I'm the first one who tests it. Then, assuming my arm doesn't fall off, once I like it (actually once my boss and her boss like it), we'll send the formula (not the product) to our regulatory department for an initial saftey clearence. All they do is look at the ingredients in it......they don't do any testing just yet, this is to approve it for testing. Once the formula is approved by marketing, we wend it for the required testing.....which is done on humans.......just like you and me. Usually a 48-hour patch test is done on real live human skin. Ocular testing is done (to see what would happen if someone were to get the product in their eyes) in vitro (in a petri dish), not in a rabbit's eye. For a hypoallergenic claim, well send products out for RIPT (repeated insult patch test), where the product is applied to skin (usually on the back of the test subject), under a patch. It's left there for a certain amount of time (this usually takes a month or so), and any irritation is noted. Other claims like SPF and comedogenicity are tested on people. I think most if not all of the testing facilities used by cosmetic companies don't test on animals anymore......they haven't for at least a decade.

Now that is how the final formula is tested.....how do we make sure the ingredients are safe? Well that's not really my job, it's the responsibility of the raw material suppliers to do safety testing, like for irritation, toxicicty, mutanogenicity etc, and make the information available to our regulatory department. How do the suppliers conduct their testing? Some do test on aminals. Since my company is international we have to comply with the EU's 7th Amendment to the Cosmetic Directive, which bans the testing of finished cosmetics products and cosmetic ingredients on animals. However this ban isn't effective on ingredients until 2009, and most of the raw material suppliers are taking their sweet time adapting non-animal testing methods. So yes, many ingredients are still tested on anmials, even though the final products aren't.

The EU is also reworking it's regulatory framework surrounding any chemicals. This new program is called REACH (Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation of Chemicals). It requires that huge dociers of safety information be accessable about any given chemical. Any company in the USA that does business in Europe will be affected. Since most of the test methods used to determine safety of raw materials still require the use of animals....some Euproeans fear this will lead to a disgrgard of the 7th Amendment , and may lead to massive animal testing, to ensure that all the testing is done before 2009......although there is much research going on to find alteranitive test methods that do not involve animals.

So things aren't much better in Europe right now........

To put it simply....Cosmetics aren't tested on animals, but their ingredients are (for now anyway)....even if it says on the bottle "not tested on animals".....

Just an FYI...PETA has a free cruelty-free shopping guide which lists companies that do not test on animals, companies that are Vegan, they also include companies that are a cruelty-free subsidiary of a parent company that does NOT comply, so you can be an informed shopper. They also offer for purchase a more extensive annual Shopping Guide for Caring Consumers.

Just an FYI...PETA has a free cruelty-free shopping guide which lists companies that do not test on animals, companies that are Vegan, they also include companies that are a cruelty-free subsidiary of a parent company that does NOT comply, so you can be an informed shopper. They also offer for purchase a more extensive annual Shopping Guide for Caring Consumers.

Yeah, there are many companies out there who not only don't test their products on animals but also do not test their makeup ingredients on animals.

People. I could just leave it at that, but I'll elaborate......

Thanks for the elaboration. It makes sense that the ingredients would only be tested on animals & that the cosmetics companies would only use approved ingredients & then test their products on humans. Well hopefully they find safe & accurate ways of testing raw materials without using animals. I am no animal activist but it seems cruel....yet at the same time I want safe cosmetics too!

Well hopefully they find safe & accurate ways of testing raw materials without using animals. I am no animal activist but it seems cruel....yet at the same time I want safe cosmetics too!

Those methods are out there.

Well hopefully they find safe & accurate ways of testing raw materials without using animals. I am no animal activist but it seems cruel....yet at the same time I want safe cosmetics too!

Those methods are out there.

They are, and there is research going on to find new test methods that don't use animals, however since the implicaton of REACH in Europe will require massive safety tesiting to be done on nearly every ingredient, even ones previously deemed "safe," most likely companies will go with the cheapest and fastest tests available....which usually means they will be conducted on animals.......

Soon there will be no testing on animals, since the 7th Amendment was passed in Europe. It will effect cosmetics companies all over the world, even if animal testing on raw materials gets banned in the US, most raw material suppliers supply raw materials to companies in Europe, and many companies in the US also sell products in Europe....so anyone who wants to do business with Europe will have to comply........

This goes for new cosmetic ingredients only, not ones previously proven "safe" before 2009. So many products will still contain ingredients once tested on animals.........

It's kinda hard to escape the whole animal testing thing....

I don't really argee with it, but I doubt many raw material companies are going to retest everything using non-animal methods........

Also many products used in cosmetics are well tested for years and all their chemical interactions well documenteed. What a lot of companies who don't test on animals do is just use prior existing knowledge and come up with formulas that they know are safe to test on humans.

Everything under the sun has been tested on animals at one time or another, the only difference now is we have enough knowledge to not do unnecessary testing.