Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massakur

dan and brandy

Well, I think each dermatologist has their own favorite protocol and/or medications that they like to use.

The only big problem I see with Proactiv is that grainy cleanser, it is very harsh. The toner and repairing lotion are fine, except for the over-powering fragrance, imo.

As for the article saying to start out with a stronger bp, I don't know. Studies have shown the lesser strengths to be as effective as the higher strengths.

I strongly disagree that skin gets used to 2.5% and needs a higher strength at some point. BP creates oxygen. Acne bacteria can not live in the presence of oxygen, nor can this bacteria ever get used to benzoyl peroxide. It's physically impossible. On the other hand, higher BP strengths can irritate the skin and perpetuate the acne cycle. As Brandy stated, there are studies backing this up.

I strongly disagree that skin gets used to 2.5% and needs a higher strength at some point. BP creates oxygen. Acne bacteria can not live in the presence of oxygen, nor can this bacteria ever get used to benzoyl peroxide. It's physically impossible. On the other hand, higher BP strengths can irritate the skin and perpetuate the acne cycle. As Brandy stated, there are studies backing this up.

I'm interested in the science of that. I know that bp is not an antibiotic but the definition of an antiobiotic is something that kills bacteria, which bp obviously does do. Why is bp not classified as an antibiotic and why can't bacteria develop a resistance in the way they do to antibiotics?

Well, bacteria killing is not the only thing BP does (it creates oxygen and bacteria on the skin cannot live in an oxygen infested enviroment - the bacteria cannot get used to this, it's just not possible).

It's also keratolytic and anti-infflamatory, which might be two traits that your skin can get used to (I don't really know if the skin can get used to this, just guessing here).

If it would just kill bacteria, the effect wouldn't be good enough, believe me. Since it's also anti-infflamatory and keratolytic (which means it peels off layer of the skin like salycilic acid or glycolic peels - but it doesn't get rid of redmarks, because the free radicals and other irritation created by it suppress skin healing) means it's almost perfect for acne.

Killing bacteria is only 1 of the functions of BP. When BP was created the inventors were excited about it's ability to peel the skin. By peeling the skin impactions were loosened, and the abnormally thick layers of the stratum corneum were reduced in size.

when benzoyl peroxide is applied to the skin, it begins to break down in relevance to its half-life (yes i do chemistry lol)

benzoyl peroxide breaks down to form benzoic acid + oxygen

benzoic acid kills bacteria and the oxygen creates an envoironment in which new bacteria cannot survive.

and theres been no significant evidence that BP becomes ineffective, all i can think of is that people get clearer and they only break out a little compared to b4 BP, so they assume by still breaking out (even if its 99% less than before) that they have become immune to BP.

im a geek (not really) but u learn alot by doing chemistry and biology in collage :) LOL