Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
postfetalphase

Birth control and Comedones

I don't think it would, unless your comedones are hormonally related. In that case, have you tried the aleve thing? There's a few threads on it, apparently it really helps!

If you have discussed it with your doctor or derm, what did they say about it? What else have you tried?

I don't think it would, unless your comedones are hormonally related. In that case, have you tried the aleve thing? There's a few threads on it, apparently it really helps!

If you have discussed it with your doctor or derm, what did they say about it? What else have you tried?

I haven't talked to anyone about it yet, I have an appt with a gynecologist on Friday. It's mostly comedones with a few deep cystic type things on my back and arms and my jawline (jawline is usually associated with hormones, correct?)... I am assuming it is hormonally related because it's little plugs of hardened oil that make my skin rough, and isn't that was BC does is cut down on oil production by reducing androgens? I think I have excess androgens anyways because have a very very oily face and I'm also definately on the hairier side for a girl (I have a hairy stomach, some on my chest etc) so I am wondering what cutting back on my androgens would do. My periods are also irregular if that has anything to do with it.

I have had this "bacne" since 7th grade and I use retin-a on my arms and jawline but it itches and makes them red and if I skip a day they peel. My skin is very sensitive, benzoyl peroxide burns and makes it peel also. The back is a difficult area to treat anyway. I know the problem would significantly improve if I just stopped picking at it (I have OCD) but it would be a lot easier if I didn't have as much to pick at. So I'm just wondering if the birth control would reduce the hardened oil-plugs so I wouldn't be as tempted to pick, and given the other factors which indicate I might have excess androgen, I am thinking the BC would reduce the amount of oil and therefor reduce the number of oil clogs, leaving me with less to pick at.

Guest Molly Jean

I get a lot of comedones on my back and arms that make my skin rough, if I were to go on a birth control for acne, would it help with these comedones too?

I would recommend minocycline but make sure you dont get the cheap generic brand of it! I was on that and on tuesday I went to the dermatologist to find out why it wasnt working. I had only been on it almost a month (4 weeks) but I had been on it ten months ago. The reason I went off of it was because I decided to go on bcp's. I stopped the bcp's when my periods werent as heavy and when the cycles were regular. After ten months (around the beginning of October) I started breaking out horribly on my chin, around my jawbone and lips and my periods because long, heavy and the cycles werent regular again. On Tuesday my dr put me on this new version of minocycline. Its called sylodyn which is the REAL brand not the cheap generic brand that doesnt work. In additon I would recommend tazorac that you put on at night. It works very well. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in. Do NOT rub any excess of with papertowels; it will ruin the effects. I tried that and then I decided to stop and it finally started working. In addition, I posted some pics of the clinique moisturizor and the prescriptives make up I use; also ask either your gynocologist, primary care dr, or dermatologist (some derms give if out if you dont drive) about Yasmin. It is the best bcp out there. At first I was gonna recommend ortho tri-cyclin but I found out that it actually worsens acne or in your case comedos. I posted it yesterday so you might want to look that up under make up :)

I get a lot of comedones on my back and arms that make my skin rough, if I were to go on a birth control for acne, would it help with these comedones too?

I would recommend minocycline but make sure you dont get the cheap generic brand of it! I was on that and on tuesday I went to the dermatologist to find out why it wasnt working. I had only been on it almost a month (4 weeks) but I had been on it ten months ago. The reason I went off of it was because I decided to go on bcp's. I stopped the bcp's when my periods werent as heavy and when the cycles were regular. After ten months (around the beginning of October) I started breaking out horribly on my chin, around my jawbone and lips and my periods because long, heavy and the cycles werent regular again. On Tuesday my dr put me on this new version of minocycline. Its called sylodyn which is the REAL brand not the cheap generic brand that doesnt work. In additon I would recommend tazorac that you put on at night. It works very well. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in. Do NOT rub any excess of with papertowels; it will ruin the effects. I tried that and then I decided to stop and it finally started working. In addition, I posted some pics of the clinique moisturizor and the prescriptives make up I use; also ask either your gynocologist, primary care dr, or dermatologist (some derms give if out if you dont drive) about Yasmin. It is the best bcp out there. At first I was gonna recommend ortho tri-cyclin but I found out that it actually worsens acne or in your case comedos. I posted it yesterday so you might want to look that up under make up :)

I'm allergic to minocycline, it gives me hives, also gave me a yeast infection that persisted for half a year. Also most of my acne is not infected of inflamed. I am putting retin-a micro on my face and arms but it's irritating and difficult to apply to my back.

My gyn put me on bc called Ovcon-35, said it'd help with my acne. She said most BC pills help with acne, they just havent all bothered getting it officialized. She wouldn't put me on a tri-cycling anyway because she said they are more likely to cause depression and I am currently being treated for depression.

Guest Molly Jean

I'm allergic to minocycline, it gives me hives, also gave me a yeast infection that persisted for half a year. Also most of my acne is not infected of inflamed. I am putting retin-a micro on my face and arms but it's irritating and difficult to apply to my back.

My gyn put me on bc called Ovcon-35, said it'd help with my acne. She said most BC pills help with acne, they just havent all bothered getting it officialized. She wouldn't put me on a tri-cycling anyway because she said they are more likely to cause depression and I am currently being treated for depression.

Are you sure its not the cheap generic brand you are allergic to?Im not gonna stop taking something that would treat my skin because it might cause depression. Im on it and have always had severe depression and I dont think it could get anymore severe that it already is; the medicine isnt gonna make it any different. Thats just me personally. Im not trying to sound unempathetic.

Are you sure its not the cheap generic brand you are allergic to?Im not gonna stop taking something that would treat my skin because it might cause depression. Im on it and have always had severe depression and I dont think it could get anymore severe that it already is; the medicine isnt gonna make it any different. Thats just me personally. Im not trying to sound unempathetic.

Well I have a history of mental hospital stays and suicide attempts and a diagnosis of schizoaffective at one point, so I think they are being cautious.

I was talking about the ortho tricyclen causing depression, anyways, which you just stated is ineffective for acne.

Guest molly_jean_comments

Well I have a history of mental hospital stays and suicide attempts and a diagnosis of schizoaffective at one point, so I think they are being cautious.

I was talking about the ortho tricyclen causing depression, anyways, which you just stated is ineffective for acne.

Oh I understand! I was in the hositpal for two weeks in March 2003 for suicidal depression. Of course I dont totally understand because no one else is in another persons body and knows exactly what it feels like to be in someone elses shoes. I didnt attempt suicide but I had severe depressive with psychosic. I hate to put it as schizoaffective. That makes it sounds like you are crazy! Yes depression is a mental illness but it is not the same thing as being crazy.......

My misunderstanding, I thought you had said minocycline increased depression and caused worsening of acne.

Hi, going back to the comodones on your back and arms. I had bumps on the back of my arms so I always hated wearing short sleeves. I recently used Cetaphil Moisturizer because I was to cheap and lazy to go out and buy the usual Moisturizer for my body...and after 2 weeks of using Cetaphil...bumps are gone. I am continuously using the lotion now.

I do admit Cetaphil is a little thick..but bumps are gone.

Morning:

Wash with Proactiv 2.5% Bencyme

Apply Bobbi Brown Moisturizer/ Apply Cetaphil Daily Mositurizer

Apply Bobbi Brown SPF15 Foundation

Finish off with Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Powder

Night:

Wash with Cetaphil Cleanser

Apply Differin (skip if skin is dry)

Apply Cetaphil Moisturizer