Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doppleganger

What can one with overly oily skin do???

For as long as I can remember I've always had really oily skin, which became a real impediment once I started getting acne around 14 years old (2001). I believe this is inherited or something. Over the years I've tried numerous OTC and prescription treatments, all working (or not working) to a various degree. While my laziness and lack of effort is what has prevented me from treating my comparitively mild acne to this day, my oily skin has always been constant and a source of frustration (constantly blotting off the oil many times a day) and embarassment (being teased and made fun of for having an oily face). Not to mention always being a detriment in my treatment of acne, having to blot off oil and most likely the treatment I put on my face at the same time many times a day to keep my face from looking shiny.

Aside from paper towels which I carry with me almost every time I go out (and are just barely effective at blotting off the oil from my face), what the hell can I use to keep my oil in control throughout a regular day??? And what treatments could I use to keep my oil in control???

What pisses me off even more is that when I unleash an "assault" on my oily face so to speak, it ends of becoming irritated/sensitive/dry quick. To put it in short words, my face can deal out the oil, but when push comes to shove and I do something about it it cowers. Rarely can I ever find a perfect balance.

Any helo would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that currently I use "Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar", having switched off of "Aveeno Clear Complexion Bar" (which is Salicylic Acid-based after using it for over a year due to it's strong scent and effect ony my face and sinuses.) and nothing much else. I do have an unused tube of Differin Gel and Clindamycin which I got over a year ago and expire sometime in 2007 though. Is it safe to use them still??? Long story which I'll explain later.

My sister and I are both "oilies". She has it worse than me (we used to call her 'crisco' :redface: ), but I have worse breakouts! I have found good success controlling the oil with Clean & Clear Oil Blotting sheets (I've actually been using the Walgreens brand - same exact ingredients). I was surprised the first time I used them that the oil slick took a long time to build up again, so they seem to work well. For a moisturizer I recommend Agera Oil Free Moisturizer (you can buy it online). It's the only one that doesn't feel or look greasy. And I've tried a LOT of different products. I have found success with Basis Cleaner Clean face wash, Apple cider vinegar / water toner (a 50/50 mix), and the Agera moisturizer. Maybe as we age we will become less oily...

I've been using Green Cream for 11 months now. My oily skin went away after the first 2 months, and has never returned ... I have normal skin now.

Guest max_powers585

I've been using Green Cream for 11 months now. My oily skin went away after the first 2 months, and has never returned ... I have normal skin now.

what brand of green cream and how ofter

It's a high-retinol lotion called Green Cream. More info available at www.greencream.com and www.lindasy.com. There's also a long thread in the OTC forum.

I use it once a day, at night.

"My sister and I are both "oilies". She has it worse than me (we used to call her 'crisco' :redface:

LMFAO that's so frikkin funny.

um well i guess iv been a "crisco" since i was 12. my 6th grade picture was in a time before i discovered benzoyl peroxide....it wasn't pretty.

my new regimen has things much better under control. duac, tazorac, beta hydroxy acid. this will actually dry your skin out, believe me, if it did for me it will for anyone. for the first time in my life i actually need moisturizer!

what is this green cream that everyone keeps raving about?

well i take tazorac, so i guess that's basically the same thing, but stronger.

by the way...do you really exfoliate for 5-10 minutes?? that's got to ravage your skin lady!

Lots of similarities ... but Tazorac, Retin A and Differin users generally report that their skin actually seems oilier when using those products, whereas GC users tend to see decreased oiliness. It may be a formulation issue. I have not figured this out yet.

And I assure you that I am smart enough not to "ravage" my skin. It just takes a little while for the enzyme peel to soften the dead skin.

Interesting responses guys!!! So, can I buy any of this stuff over-the counter???

And no offense, but I notice some of the suggested products are targeted towards females. Would using such products be a problem for a MALE like me??? :) When will the companies ever take notice that there's a niche market for "Crisco" males???

As I've mentioned, most of the stuff I've used to treat my face in the last couple of years has at least shown some visible improvement...................in everything but my oil that is. One of the reasons I've stopped applying anything on my face after washing with soap (either throughout the day or overnight) is because my oil manages to prevail even with stuff applied on my face, which makes my face look even oilier. This was prevalent especially when I was using Benzoyl Peroxide. It looked like I soaked my face in a tub of oil. (The residue and slow absorption of BP also annoyed me to no end.)

I don't think I'll be needing any moisturizers, considering what oily skin I have and how fast it accumulates.

Having oily skin also proves to be annoying when I'm in my sleep, having to replace pillow casings on almost a daily basis. Not that it soaks up my pillow casings mind you, but I have to be aware of the oil/bacteria that accumulates on them, y'know???

Currently, the only other gel/cream I have on my shelf is.................Clerasil 10% BP. Should I use it or is it overkill???

Oh yeah, I also exfoliate and wash with this:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/h...ler/output_html

But as of late I've been inadventently scratching much skin off my face. :(

Oh yeah, I also exfoliate and wash with this:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/h...ler/output_html

But as of late I've been inadventently scratching much skin off my face. :(

I think using the Buf Puf is probably a good idea (since everyone says dead skin cells + oil = bad news for acne), but it sounds like the other stuff might be over-drying your skin. In my experience over-drying has lead to irritation (but, of course, everyone's skin is different). I told Crisco ;) about using the Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner, and she tried it yesterday. She called and told me that her skin was way less oily all day long, and she didn't wake up in the morning looking like she dunked her face in grease, so it seems to be working really well for her!! I just started using it but I want to give it at least a week before I decide if it is the right treatment for me.