Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yas

My experience as an African American Vegan?

So, I'm sure most of you have your own stance on the diet and acne dilemma, but for those of you stuck in between, here is my experiment with veganism :think:

A few months before my 21st birthday, my face went haywire. I had never experienced acne, and I mean NEVER. I was horrified, and I had no one to talk to but a dermatologist. So I go to see her and she tells me that this is normal for new adults, and hands me a bunch of samples of stuff that made my acne flare up even more. Well I used this stuff anyway for about 2 years, and nothing but my make up made my acne disappear. :doubt:

Well, life went on with acne...

At the beginning of 2005, I decided to move from Atlanta to Tampa. The best thing I ever did for my skin. Something about that weather, air, water, or maybe the fresh foods. I stopped using that acne medicine and started washing my face with Aveeno acne wash, and moisturized with Aveeno acne moisturizer. Perfect.

Dont think so.

I had to move back to ATL. FLARE UP!!!! I've been here since August, and have been living in hell ever since. What did I do different in Florida? Well, I couldnt get that beautiful sun, or air, or water, but I could do the fresh foods.

Then came the thoughts to become Vegan.

OK, around October 10th I went for it. This did not fit well with my addictions to ice cream and seafood, and believe me, I am still struggling.

Now the results: 1st week, I started using Ivory soap, and kept my moisturizer, but the acne got worse. This made me want to give up, but I couldnt think of anything else to do, so I continued. 2nd week, I was extremely tired, almost like I had taken cough medicine or something, and my acne looked the same, but it wasnt as painful. Guess I was going through some type of detox. 3rd week, not too fatigued, and still had acne popping up daily, but the difference was when I would wake up. My skin would be smoother, and the pimples that were their a week earlier had healed, although they still left a mark... :cry: 4th week, pimples still there, but new ones came less, and old ones healed much quicker...

Now, I dont know if its this Vegan thing, but I get pimples less, from about 2-3 daily to just 1 per week, and those tend to dissapear within 4 days. My skin is noticably smoother. I have more energy from my healthy diet, which I have to do because everything in a package has animal by products, geez, thank goodness for dole fruit bars. Also, Ive lost 6 pounds, which is not good for me because I am unattractively skinny. So try to eat foods with carbs and fats to keep the weight on.

Anyway, I hope these pictures help. My skin is dark so you may be unable to see my skin, but that maybe because of the smoothing :D

The picture is of me in Florida, Mother's day...[attachmentid=6654] Only the occasional cycle pimple.

Me now, Ive since cut my hair[attachmentid=6655]

Try the websites below for info on becoming Vegan

www.veg.org

www.vegan.org

www.vegansociety.com

www.veganoutreach.org

www.veganchef.com

post-50203-1163492947_thumb.jpg

post-50203-1163493324_thumb.jpg

post-50203-1163492947_thumb.jpg

post-50203-1163493324_thumb.jpg

i just wanna say thanks for adding those links. wow, more ppl are tryin to go raw/vegan! :dance:

yas, i wish u all d best! :angel:

Thanks a bunches :D