Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
answerme

agave as sweetener

anyone tried it? i just saw bottles of it on the shelf where honey was located.

is it healthy enough for acne sufferers?

im curious. i always see it as an ingredient used by "raw" vegans.

i think its supposed to cause the same insulin spike as other sugars ...

Actually, it doesn't, that's why it's considered a good alternative to other sweeteners. Agave nectar is only a 19-35 on the glycemic index. It even says on the bottle: suitable for diabetics.

I've used it for about 5-6 years and it's great; you only need a very small amount. I use it in my tea in the morning.

Agave is so good - its addicting.

I love it -- once you taste it, you can never go back to honey. It has a very light yet extra sweet taste -- not overpowering.

I used it when getting off white sugar. I had a teaspoon of agave each day. I sometimes use it on unsweetened breakfast cereal if I'm in a rush.

I love it :)

I was introduced to it at a Raw-vegan retreat -- and I can see why they use it. Once my friends tasted it, they ran out and purchased it too :).

it comes from a plant that's why vegans use it.

it's pretty sweet so you only need a tiny amount

and like someone said, it's low on the glycemic index so you're okay with it.

I use it and it's pretty great. Better than honey.

sounds great, although it's a lot more expensive than honey over here. might try soon. im guessin it's cheaper than stevia?

thanks guys for the info, btw. :)

Tastewise, I prefer honey and maple syrup, or evaporated cane juice (which is brown, unrefined sugar). Sugar-wise, agave syrup is closer to high fructose corn syrup then anything else... that's basically what it is, a high fructose sweetener so it doesn't cause much of an insulin spike but causes other problems.

But in the real world I don't use any of these, or atleast pretty rarely. If I need to sweeten a dinner dish or a green smoothie, I just use stevia.

Tastewise, I prefer honey and maple syrup, or evaporated cane juice (which is brown, unrefined sugar). Sugar-wise, agave syrup is closer to high fructose corn syrup then anything else... that's basically what it is, a high fructose sweetener so it doesn't cause much of an insulin spike but causes other problems.

But in the real world I don't use any of these, or atleast pretty rarely. If I need to sweeten a dinner dish or a green smoothie, I just use stevia.

so, healthwise, i guess stevia is still superior to all these syrups?

thanks rs.

Yeah, stevia wins over everything because there's zero insulin spike and zero inflammation as a result. Just a plain old herb from your friendly South Americans.

Yeah but Stevia tastes very licoricie......with Agave nectar, you only need a tiny bit because it is so sweet. If you use it in moderation (I use probably half a teaspoon to a teaspoon in my tea everyday), you shouldn't have any problems.

Actually, it doesn't, that's why it's considered a good alternative to other sweeteners. Agave nectar is only a 19-35 on the glycemic index. It even says on the bottle: suitable for diabetics.

I've used it for about 5-6 years and it's great; you only need a very small amount. I use it in my tea in the morning.

Thanks for putting me straight. Is it good for baking?

Thanks for putting me straight. Is it good for baking?

Yeah, from what I understand, you can use it in baking like you would honey. I never have done that, though, so I can't testify to whether or not heating it degrades the flavor or whatever....but I would think that it wouldn't.