Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok not to get impatient, but here are some basic accutane DO'S and DON'TS this way we dont have the same questions asked over and over, like drinking and accutane seems to be asked every single week.

DON'TS!

1) Drink and while on accutane. Common this os common sense, if both are known to be hard on your liver, why would you do it? no it WONT KILL YOU, but c'mon take better care of yourself. Boxing wont kill you either, but its bad for you if you step into the ring and get your ass kicked every night.. this is just common sense, take care of yourself.

2) DON'T DON'T DONT' use any creams while on accutane ESPECIALLY BENZOYL PEROXIDE!

This wont make your acne get better any faster and it wont treat your intial breakout, it will only HARM your skin more. only use moisterizors or lotions that your derm perscribes you, and only use these if you have to!

3) DON'T take vitamin A. you could eat foods like carrots, thats not a problem. just dont take any multivitamins or sports drinks that contain vitamin A, i'd say over 40% vitamin A stay away from.

4)DON'T waiste your time and/or money on vitamins to TRY and speed up the process, because vitamins will be completely inneffective. If you wanna take vitamin E and/or fish oils for good health while on accutane, go right ahead, but DON'T go waiste money on zinc or vitamin C, because I guarantee you they wont make a difference what so ever in acne.

5) i'm not going to say dont participate in sports because everybody is different in terms of body pains, BUT, PAY ATTENTION TO HOW YOUR BODY RESPONDS TO ACCUTANE! If you wanna play sports of lift weights, go right ahead, BUT, DONT JUST GO OUT THERE AS IF EVERYTHING IS NORMAL. DON'T JUST GO ON LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS ASSUMING YOU WILL BE FINE, PAY ATTENTION AND SEE HOW YOUR BODY REACTS, AND IF YOU NEED TO, OR HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO TAKE IT EASY!!!!

6)enjoy yourself eat however you want, but TRY not to eat a ton of junk food while on accutane, since you know accutane can increase cholesterol. I'll admit my diet was healthier before tane, during tane i ate all the shit and fast food, i didn't eat before tane because i thought it would make my acne worse. and i was fine.

Do's

1)Moisterize if your skin gets dried out and uncomfortable. Basic moisterizor is all you need, you dont need a fancy brand name, and no it wont make a difference really which moisterizor you use.

2) Take care of your lips, for me vaseline worked wonders.

3)Wash your face with a MILD cleanser TWICE a day, NOT ANYMORE THAN THAT. if you want you could even get by washing only ONCE.

4)Take accutane with fat, BUT, dont go crazy with it. some people might get the idea that you have to have accutane with a full coarse meal, or go out and get a high fat mcdonalds meal with it. This isn't the case. Nealry anything you eat has fat in it, so what this means it, dont take accutane with a fat free diet food. YOU CAN HAVE ACCUTANE WITH A REGULAR COLD CUT SANDWHICH FOR LUNCH, for me i had my accutane with an english muffin with peanut butter and it was good enough. Take accutane with some fat, BUT DONT GO CRAZY AND TAKE IT WITH FAST FOOD OR JUNK FOOD AND TRY TO HAVE THE FATTIEST MEAL POSSIBLE.

5)DRINK A FULL GLASS OF WATER WITH EACH PILL YOU INJEST!

and thats all I can think of for now. If you have anything to add, please do. Basically follow easy instructions. Take the pill with a full glass of water and food,and thats it. Leave your face alone, and take better care of your body. Whether its dieting better or taking it easier physically. Thats it, its that simple.

Hopefully this will avoid new threads about the same topics over and over again.

Tomorrow im going to make 2 more threads similar to this one about accutane.

I only agree with 1, 4 and 6 is an ummmmmmmm, for the don't.

For the do's, I agree with 1,2 & 3. mostly 4, but not entirely.

your post will not be pinned as a FAQ or anything, I hope (sorry), since it doesn't cover much and isn't all that accurate. People will ask the same questions over and over (especially newbies) and there's not much we can do about it.

but maybe someone will be helped!

as a note: you can use BP (or SA maybe) for small spot treatment for as long as you feel comfortable doing so, your skin will tell you when it's not right anymore during your course

you can drink a little once in awhile just don't do it 72 hours prior to blood test or you results probably will show it...mine did.

These are decent guidelines but I'd go through the boards and get a feel for what everyone is doing for successful stories.

I only disagree with the staying away from sports. For me the best help to keep my mind off acne and stay energized is working out and playing volleyball/racquetball almost daily. With some fish oil I never experienced much muscle ache and was able to work out fine as before treatment.

Plus improving your body will be a nice bonus to go with your new face once treatment has completed.

I use BP while on Tane if I get a huge whitehead, it kills it right away and doesnt seem to dry me out any extra.

I still use Dan's BP...all over my face...and my face isn't that dry.....

it hasn't harmed my skin at all

you really shouldn't though.

you can drink a little once in awhile just don't do it 72 hours prior to blood test or you results probably will show it...mine did.

These are decent guidelines but I'd go through the boards and get a feel for what everyone is doing for successful stories.

I only disagree with the staying away from sports. For me the best help to keep my mind off acne and stay energized is working out and playing volleyball/racquetball almost daily. With some fish oil I never experienced much muscle ache and was able to work out fine as before treatment.

Plus improving your body will be a nice bonus to go with your new face once treatment has completed.

I didn't say stay away from sports. I said pay attention to how your body responds from accutane. Body aches and pains varies from person to person, so basically what I meant was, if you go to the gym and bench press your max routinely, when you start accutane, keep the thought in your mind next time your benching that if you experience any unusal soreness, it may be resulting from accutane and to tone it down a bit.

I still use Dan's BP...all over my face...and my face isn't that dry.....

it hasn't harmed my skin at all

Well, my personal opinion on acne creams is to take it easy on them, and to stop using them if your acne calms down. Like i finished accutane, so i'm not using acne creams anymore! im only gonna maybe use an acne cream if my acne comes back bad enough. so if I wake up tomorrow with 3 pimples, imma leave em alone. All these acne creams just age your skin faster. So maybe it doesn't seem like its doing harm now, or 3 years from now, but when your 40 and your face looks 65, thats why.