Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ravager61

Mental Side Effects

Ok, im on the verge of starting accutane soon due to my acne not responding to any other form of treatment. The physical side effects dont bother me too much as ive had really dry skin before due to previous treatments, specifially retin-a, but the mental side effects are something that im worried about. I consider myself a very happy person and I would hate to have this medication cause me to become depressed or worse.

Has anyone experienced any mental side effects or know of anyone who has? I hear a lot of conflicting reports on these effects. What are the real risks?

Ok, im on the verge of starting accutane soon due to my acne not responding to any other form of treatment. The physical side effects dont bother me too much as ive had really dry skin before due to previous treatments, specifially retin-a, but the mental side effects are something that im worried about. I consider myself a very happy person and I would hate to have this medication cause me to become depressed or worse.

Has anyone experienced any mental side effects or know of anyone who has? I hear a lot of conflicting reports on these effects. What are the real risks?

if your a happy person thats a big plus. i was suffering major depression before accutane so i was scared to take it. I eventually took it anyway, i never let the derm or my parents know how depressed i was. During accutane, i dont think the drug had a direct effect, but the side effects and not feelin well made me more depressed. I was severly depressed, thankgod im good at controlling myself and i dont cry, because there were times i was felt like crying, in front of people but didn't even show it.

After accutane finishd i still suffered major depression, but i realized i have to stop dis now before it gets worse and maybe un controllable.

I dunno what happened, but the last 4 weeks or so i've had ice water in my veins. I've been extremely cool, calm, laid back and positive and its great.

didn't mean for the long story, all im saying is, dont worry. Your nice and happy thats way better then i was mentally, and now im fine. Im actually better than fine now, im doin well :dance:

if your a happy person thats a big plus. i was suffering major depression before accutane so i was scared to take it. I eventually took it anyway, i never let the derm or my parents know how depressed i was. During accutane, i dont think the drug had a direct effect, but the side effects and not feelin well made me more depressed. I was severly depressed, thankgod im good at controlling myself and i dont cry, because there were times i was felt like crying, in front of people but didn't even show it.

After accutane finishd i still suffered major depression, but i realized i have to stop dis now before it gets worse and maybe un controllable.

I dunno what happened, but the last 4 weeks or so i've had ice water in my veins. I've been extremely cool, calm, laid back and positive and its great.

didn't mean for the long story, all im saying is, dont worry. Your nice and happy thats way better then i was mentally, and now im fine. Im actually better than fine now, im doin well :dance:

Thats great that you are feeling good now! Honestly for me, id rather have the acne than feel depressed. Especially since im in college and the concentration issues coupled with being away from the people that know me best would really be a problem for me. Is it common to feel worse than you do when you go on the drug? I was gonna go on it but now I think im just gonna keep trying other methods. Ive tried retin-a in the past and am currently on a combo of Doxycyclin and Duac gel. It keeps me from having large pimples and my skin is acutally smooth, but i still have a lot of zits and redness. Ahh! Im so torn on what to do!

Well right now i have no acne or depression.. i dont think accutane directly causes depression.

I got tired of beating around the bush with other methods that didn'twork.

Well right now i have no acne or depression..

hit the nail on the head there....

less acne = less or no depression.... and what gets you that? accutane!!!

in all seriousness though, accutane has not been proven to cause psych side effects, which is why they list them as rare and less than 1%.

the more you worry, the more you will think something is wrong. go over it with your doctor, get checked regularly (liver, etc) and you'll be fine.

for every story that has accutane (supposedly) as the bad guy, there are 99 other stories of how great it is. remember that most of the people who are happy with the drug will not post it on here (there's about 12 million of them)

good luck! :D

Well right now i have no acne or depression..

hit the nail on the head there....

less acne = less or no depression.... and what gets you that? accutane!!!

in all seriousness though, accutane has not been proven to cause psych side effects, which is why they list them as rare and less than 1%.

the more you worry, the more you will think something is wrong. go over it with your doctor, get checked regularly (liver, etc) and you'll be fine.

for every story that has accutane (supposedly) as the bad guy, there are 99 other stories of how great it is. remember that most of the people who are happy with the drug will not post it on here (there's about 12 million of them)

good luck! :D

well kind of. I wasn'tdepressed soley because of acne. Even without acne i was down about a bunch of things. I didn't stop becoming depressed because accutane got rid of my acne. I just finally got my head straight and got it together.

I just finally got my head straight and got it together.

that's even better!!! :D:clap:

I know a lot of the bad feelings I had started going away, even with my very first accutane pill. It just got better and better as I went along.

Well...

A couple of weeks ago I was playing the piano. I was feeling upset about how my week was going. While I was playing this beautiful piece on the piano-- a minute into the song I started crying. They were pretty big tears. The kind of tears that are so large and wet that you can feel each one sliding down your face. It felt good to cry though. I'm not sure if the accutane had anthing to do with that episode though.

I have a history of depression and self-injury, and to be honest I didn't notice any change when I went on Accutane. I think a large cause of the depression was poor self-image anyway due to acne, so taking a medication like Accutane made me feel like I was doing as much as I could to help myself.

I am currently being treated for lifelong anxiety, panic and depression. Accutane has had no effect on my moods, positive or negative.

Indirectly I am a bit happier due to my skin improving.

Hey,

Well, I'm on Accutane, and I was worried most about the mental side effects also, especially since I've been prone to becoming depressed, but so far nothing noticeable has happened. The fact that you are usually a really happy person is definitely a good thing and I don't think you should worry. Also if you are still worried, tell your parents and friends to kinda watch out for you and if they notice any change in your usual moods, to let you or your doctor know. I talked to my doctor about the depression and he said that only one out of the several hundreds of patients that he prescribed Tane for started noticing that she became depressed, so he reduced her dose and her depression went away and she was still able to finish treatment.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to postpone my accutane to try something a little less drastic before I gone on it. But if I do have to go on it later, I feel better about it. Thanks guys!