Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crystal Clear

How I Cleared my Acne with Diet

I had perfect skin until I hit 22, since then I've suffered from cystic acne along my jawline.

I've tried OTC rememdies like SA, but finally gave in a visited at GP last month. He prescribed Benzaclin and Yasmin - Benzaclin burnt my skin like hell and just seemed to make my skin red and flaky so I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

Before taking Yasmin I decided to visit a naturopath to see if there was something I could do "naturally" rather than pumping myself full of fake synthetic hormones.

The naturopath told me that the skin mirrors the internal health of the body - acne is a manifestation of toxins in the body. She suggested that I avoid wheat, dairy and sugar, as well as coffee and tea.

I've been following this diet as strictly as I can for the past 3 weeks and I am amazed by the difference in my skin! My acne has cleared up pretty well, although I've still had the odd pimple, it's nothing like before I started this diet. My problem now is trying to clear up the ugly red marks! I also have to figure out whether it's wheat, dairy, sugar or coffee that causes my acne. I have a feeling that it's coffee, but I'm too scared to drink it in case the zits come back.

I know alot of people don't believe that there is a connection between diet and acne, but in some cases such as mine there is.

Acne is a huge money making industry - there are so many products and pills out there that I'm not surpised that many in the industry including the traditional medical professionals refuse to admit that diet and acne are linked. Think of the millions of dollars they'd lose if everyone finally made the connection and stopped eating the crap that causes acne.

If anyone is interested I can post what I eat daily if it helps. I'm not saying diet is a cure, but it's significantly cleared my acne and I don't have to take Yasmin now.

I drink about 6 cups of green tea day - not sure that helps, but it's my coffee replacement!

I should mention that I don't eat meat except for fish - I've eaten like this since I was 13, so my diet is pretty much vegetarian.

I usually start the day with a smoothie made with soy milk (unsweetened), half a banana, frozen mixed berries and ground flax seed.

Lunch is usually brown rice with stir fried (coconut oil) chickpeas and veggies, or tuna with olive oil and lemon.

Dinner varies, but sometimes I'll have baked salmon, potatoes and asparagus or stir fried veggies and tofu. Usually I'll finish with an apple.

I've also started to eat Spelt bread - it's really yummy toasted with almond butter.

My cheat is dark chocolate (you have to cheat sometimes right!?)

I drink about 6 cups of green tea day - not sure that helps, but it's my coffee replacement!

I should mention that I don't eat meat except for fish - I've eaten like this since I was 13, so my diet is pretty much vegetarian.

I usually start the day with a smoothie made with soy milk (unsweetened), half a banana, frozen mixed berries and ground flax seed.

Lunch is usually brown rice with stir fried (coconut oil) chickpeas and veggies, or tuna with olive oil and lemon.

Dinner varies, but sometimes I'll have baked salmon, potatoes and asparagus or stir fried veggies and tofu. Usually I'll finish with an apple.

I've also started to eat Spelt bread - it's really yummy toasted with almond butter.

My cheat is dark chocolate (you have to cheat sometimes right!?)

Thats great to hear! CONGRATS... mmmm nice diet, reading this just made me hungry!!! :razz::drool:

Your diet sounds similar to mine. I also only eat fish as a meat.

But I eat organic cereal with almond milk in the mornings. I have fruit or my manna bread (similar to spelt with almond butter also slightly heated) as a snack between meals. I eat a huge salad with sunflower or almonds for lunch. And for dinner salmon or tofu with brown rice or a steamed veggie, maybe a sweet potato maybe a small salad with it, it varies.

When I want to be bad I also eat a small piece of dark 85% chocolate. Its yummy but bitter so I dont desire to eat the whole thing.

If im craving ice cream, ill get rice dream or something non dairy.

Sometimes I make berry smoothies but with organic yogurt not soy milk. Be careful with consuming too much soy products, I have heard its not good, but I believe everything in moderation :angel:

Good luck! If you discover any other wonderful foods let us know!

Hey good for you. :dance:

Not to encourage you to drink coffee, but I'd almost be willing to bet it's the absence of wheat and/or sugar that's contributing to your clearing. I'm just basing that on my own experience and those of many other people who've posted their experiences. I used to think coffee caused me problems too, but I've since figured out that's not the case.

I only bring it up because I find that the more things I CAN enjoy, the easier it is to leave out the things I can't eat.

Good luck to ya!

Congrats! I'm reading a lot of success stories lately on the board which can only be good :D

I can't stand tea or coffee so that is no problem for me ;)

Hi JC83 - No I am not asian, why?

I think cutting down on your sugar intake would help, as hard as that is!! I think white chocolate has alot of dairy in it whereas very dark (85%) hardly has any so is better if you are intolerant to milk/ milk products.

Crystal Clear, congrats!

Are you an Asian?

I like white chocloate better!

According to your diet, I think I MUST cut down my sugar intake.

Thanks.

Hi JC83 - No I am not asian, why?

I think cutting down on your sugar intake would help, as hard as that is!! I think white chocolate has alot of dairy in it whereas very dark (85%) hardly has any so is better if you are intolerant to milk/ milk products.

Crystal Clear, congrats!

Are you an Asian?

I like white chocloate better!

According to your diet, I think I MUST cut down my sugar intake.

Thanks.

Thanks 'Crystal Clear'...

Ya, why did I ask that question...I dunno..

Dark chocolate is bitter lol.

Again, thanks for your advice!

Hi Jen - our diets are so similar! Are you finding that eating this way is helping with your acne?

I've heard too much soy can be bad - how is the almond milk? Is it really high in fat?

I also east 85% dark chcolate (Lindt) as it's v. hard to eat the whole bar at once!

I really want to try Quinoa, but it's hard to find and very expensive......

Your diet sounds similar to mine. I also only eat fish as a meat.

But I eat organic cereal with almond milk in the mornings. I have fruit or my manna bread (similar to spelt with almond butter also slightly heated) as a snack between meals. I eat a huge salad with sunflower or almonds for lunch. And for dinner salmon or tofu with brown rice or a steamed veggie, maybe a sweet potato maybe a small salad with it, it varies.

When I want to be bad I also eat a small piece of dark 85% chocolate. Its yummy but bitter so I dont desire to eat the whole thing.

If im craving ice cream, ill get rice dream or something non dairy.

Sometimes I make berry smoothies but with organic yogurt not soy milk. Be careful with consuming too much soy products, I have heard its not good, but I believe everything in moderation :angel:

Good luck! If you discover any other wonderful foods let us know!

Hey Crystal, Well considering I just finished accutane 2 months ago, I couldnt tell you for sure itf its the diet or the accutane that is continuing to work. But yes my skin looks great!

Almond milk taste good to me and has 3 grams of fat. I may start making my own :cool:

I also buy the same dark chocolate percent and brand that you get. I agree, its too bitter to eat more than 1 piece.

Ive stopped drinking coffee for 3 weeks now too, ive noticed that my skin is less oily, I sleep better at night, and I am more relaxed.

My next goal.... quit chewing so much gum! :lol:

crystal clear,

since starting this, when did you first notice improvement in your skin? and what was the improvement exactly? (ex. active pimple becoming smaller..etc..) thanks :D

Hi K_chocolat: I started noticing improvments after about 1 to 2 weeks, old cysts were less swollen and new pimples/cysts are quite rare now.

My main problem now is trying to clear up the red marks left behind - they're almost as bad as the acne itself!

crystal clear,

since starting this, when did you first notice improvement in your skin? and what was the improvement exactly? (ex. active pimple becoming smaller..etc..) thanks :D

thank you crystal clear for the reply!

but it seems like you eat very little. do you ever get hungry between meals?

is there any exception for fruit and veggie?

what about whole wheat bread? wheat was one of the things you mentioned which should be eliminated, but do you think eating one slice of whole wheat bread in the morning could have negative effect?

oh and i know what you mean about red marks! i also have some and makes my face look like i still have active pimples!

i feel optimistic about your diet, i really hope it'd work for me too.

Acne is a huge money making industry - there are so many products and pills out there that I'm not surpised that many in the industry including the traditional medical professionals refuse to admit that diet and acne are linked. Think of the millions of dollars they'd lose if everyone finally made the connection and stopped eating the crap that causes acne.

If anyone is interested I can post what I eat daily if it helps. I'm not saying diet is a cure, but it's significantly cleared my acne and I don't have to take Yasmin now.

^^^^^ Very very true. I too am clear with the odd pimple when I eat something I shouldnt and am mostly dealing with the left over marks .Diet was a key factor in addition to quitting the never endless cycle of harsh chemical skin care. Let your skin function naturally people!

^^^^^ Very very true. I too am clear with the odd pimple when I eat something I shouldnt and am mostly dealing with the left over marks .Diet was a key factor in addition to quitting the never endless cycle of harsh chemical skin care. Let your skin function naturally people!

Ell-,

what changes did you make in your diet exactly?

Hi - I do eat quite a large amount of food but only good stuff - I won't deny that it's hard sometimes, especially when everyone else is chowing down on pizza and coke and I can't join in! :rolleyes:

If I get hungry between meal I'll eat nuts (almonds and cashews), oatmeal (slow cooking) or fruit if I need some sugar. I try to drink water and green tea during the day and I think this tends to keep hunger at bay.

I think all fruit and veg are O.K. to eat - I don't restrict myself in any way - the only thing you should watch is your intake of very ripe bananas because they contain high levels of sugar which can cause acne.

Wheat is apparently a very common acne trigger. If you are sensitive to wheat then one slice of bread a day could cause you to break out. I used to eat whole wheat/whole grain toast every morning and since I've cut toast/wheat out entirely my acne is much improved. However it is very hard to cut it out of your diet as it is a hidden ingredient in many food products! For example I thought I'd be safe eating veggie sausages as a treat, but guess what!? They contain wheat!!

Red marks really are a pain - even though my acne has cleared it still looks like I have pimples! Thank god for concealer and foundation!

I think it is defintiely worth trying to eliminate wheat, dairy and sugar from your diet - if you can do it for two weeks minimum you'll know whether it's making a difference or not.

thank you crystal clear for the reply!

but it seems like you eat very little. do you ever get hungry between meals?

is there any exception for fruit and veggie?

what about whole wheat bread? wheat was one of the things you mentioned which should be eliminated, but do you think eating one slice of whole wheat bread in the morning could have negative effect?

oh and i know what you mean about red marks! i also have some and makes my face look like i still have active pimples!

i feel optimistic about your diet, i really hope it'd work for me too.

rice is not wheat and incidentally does not contain gluten. It is however a grain and some anti-acne diets say that you should stay away from grains. Also white rice is quite often high on the glycemic index so not great if you are eating with that in mind. Brown rice is more nutritious that white rice. A few months ago someone posting about whether rice causes acne and I believe that most responders said that it had no effect on their acne.