Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
harakiri_never

Is this why many people get cured with Accutane?

As we all know accutane puts acne into remission for months or many years. Sure some people it cures them and the cure comes straight from the drug but for many people, it buys them time to outgrow acne, and then they say "Accutane cured me too" but in realty it was time for their acne to go away on its own. Isn't that really the case?

As we all know accutane puts acne into remission for months or many years. Sure some people it cures them and the cure comes straight from the drug but for many people, it buys them time to outgrow acne, and then they say "Accutane cured me too" but in realty it was time for their acne to go away on its own. Isn't that really the case?

Yeah. You're right. It's just a coincidence that everyone who takes accutane "grows out of it" while they're on the drug. There are no connections between Accutane and clear skin. :liar:

but in realty it was time for their acne to go away on its own. Isn't that really the case?

I don't know!

I haven't taken accutane...I started getting acnes last year...I did not take accutane....and I am now clear!

So..."Isn't that really the case?"...I don't know!

I think this is the same for redmarks...they will fade with TIME!

Yeah. You're right. It's just a coincidence that everyone who takes accutane "grows out of it" while they're on the drug. There are no connections between Accutane and clear skin. :liar:

i think he;s saying that accutane gives them time to naturally outgrow it. just say you will outgrow acne at 25 (a number i just made up) regardless of whether or not you take accutane. and you take accutane at age 20. accutane gives you a 5 year remission and by that time you would have outgrown it anyway.

i think he;s saying that accutane gives them time to naturally outgrow it. just say you will outgrow acne at 25 (a number i just made up) regardless of whether or not you take accutane. and you take accutane at age 20. accutane gives you a 5 year remission and by that time you would have outgrown it anyway.

That's what I mean, accutane usually just buys us time to outgrow acne since wherever you read all accutane does is give you long-term remission. But other places it also says that there is a 35-38% cure after one course of acctuane and 70% chance of long-term remission so this means for some people it doesn't give them time to outgrow acne but a direct cure.

What is the explanation behind 'out growing' acne?

Test. levels lower as you get older - is that it?

If that's true so how come there is men in their mid 20s or even 30s (although rare) and still have acne. I'm sure their hormones have been long settled by then. Sometimes acne can just go on despite your hormones.

I have also suspected this. It is true that many people do grow out of acne. My father had terrible acne which he said he grew out of in his early 20s. he has absolutely no acne now. Accutane puts acne into remission, but it doesn't really make medical sense to me that it could "permanently" change one's skin. I think for many people it probably does put you into remission until you grow out of it (especially for people with moderate acne to begin with).

i know there is one poster on here who has talked about going on accutane every 10 years for 30 years, as his acne comes back after that period of time.

I would nothave grown out of my acne.

I KNOW that I would of had acne, probably into my 50's if it wasn't for accutane.

stop thinking like we are just late blooming teenagers who would have grown out of it naturally. without accutane most of us would still be on here bitching about all the products out there that don't work.

so screw you, harakiri_never, YOU try living with acne for 20, 30 or even 40 years and then tell us we'll grow out of it. screw you.

accutane didn't work for you? too bad. the other dozen million of us that it did work for will be over here doing the accutane dance.........

--------------------------> :dance::dance::clap::clap::dance::dance::clap::clap::wub:

and no, you can't join us. :P

Yeah, I thought about that as being a possibility.

Some sites say though, that Accutane permanently damages the oil glands, while other sites say that the oil glands will eventually go back to normal, then there are sites that say they'll grow bigger again but never as big as they were before.

So i don't think anyone really knows. lol

I KNOW that I would of had acne, probably into my 50's if it wasn't for accutane.

stop thinking like we are just late blooming teenagers who would have grown out of it naturally. without accutane most of us would still be on here bitching about all the products out there that don't work.

so screw you, harakiri_never, YOU try living with acne for 20, 30 or even 40 years and then tell us we'll grow out of it. screw you.

accutane didn't work for you? too bad. the other dozen million of us that it did work for will be over here doing the accutane dance.........

--------------------------> :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :wub:

Are you okay and have you even read my post?

I see what you're saying, harakiri_never, but it also seems like accutane just works so much better for some than it does for others. For example, some people tell of acne returning after just a few months from stopping accutane, while others find that it returns years later. I suppose there are other variables as well, such as cumulative dose, etc. I buy what you're saying, tho!

So.. what really is the main reason we don't get acne on Accutane? Is the main reason the oil glands shrinking or is the main reason oil production slowing down? Because if it was the oil glands shrinking, I would think - if the sites that said the damage is permanent were correct - that no one would have an acne problem again?

--------------------------> :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :wub:

He is claiming that accutane makes acne go into remission for a certain time span. He believes that this time span might last 5 years or something and that after those 5 years acne wont came back because you would have outgrown it by then. It's impossible for you to know whether you would have grown out of it in a 5-10 year time span.

You're kind of scary...

So.. what really is the main reason we don't get acne on Accutane? Is the main reason the oil glands shrinking or is the main reason oil production slowing down?

I swear i have explained this to you like five times already.

Oil production is not the root cause of acne. Clogged pores that trap oil are the problem. People with acne have some abnormal processes going on in their pores. Specifically hyperkeratinization (keratin is hard substance in fingernails, pores are supposed to produce a little of it, in acne patients pores produce a lot) and abnormal desquamation (the cells inside the pores slough off into the pore much, much faster than they should. The real reason Accutane works is because it regulates these abnormalities inside the pores. It temporarily cuts off oil production, and all of this combined leads to clearing. Then, so long as the pores remain clear, when oil production returns to something like normal, that oil just exits to the surface of the skin like it's supposed to instead of being trapped and feeding bacterial growth.

Must you always be so aggressive? He didn't tell you that you would just outgrow it, he was asking if it buys time to outgrow it which is a legitimate interpretation of it's function. Not everyone outgrows acne, obviously, but most people in fact DO. Only family history gives you a clue as to which category you fall in, but even that isn't foolproof.

Thanks for the explanation, beentheredonethat. I've never heard it explained that way before. My dermatologist told me that people with very oily skin are more likely to relapse.

When it comes to relapse they say your cumulativde dose matters, gender, age, skin type, type of acne etc. I could list a page but in the end....It really depends on the person.