Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not trying to sell anything here, honest!

I used to have Acne all over my face, neck, and going down my back (ick!). My GF (who also uses Proactiv) had me start using it, and within a few months, my face was mostly clear. The antibiotics from the doc where not helping any, nor was the perscription for benzoyl peroxide.

I have to carefully watch what I eat (or else my face explodes in a matter of minutes...) but aside from that it generally controls my acne.

(Right now it is not doing the best job, apparently I am eating something that is messing my face up horribly. :( )

watch out, me and other people on this board have experienced incredible results for about a year and then the BP somehow "stopped working" leading to worse acne than before. Just be careful and have a backup plan in case this does happen.

Not trying to sell anything here, honest!

I used to have Acne all over my face, neck, and going down my back (ick!). My GF (who also uses Proactiv) had me start using it, and within a few months, my face was mostly clear. The antibiotics from the doc where not helping any, nor was the perscription for benzoyl peroxide.

I have to carefully watch what I eat (or else my face explodes in a matter of minutes...) but aside from that it generally controls my acne.

(Right now it is not doing the best job, apparently I am eating something that is messing my face up horribly. :( )

Are you Jessica Simpson?

Joking.

But seriously.. SAME thing happend to me.. it worked got a bit then BAM! My skin = Destroyed.

yeah same here.. I used it for about 9 months.. worked wonders..was so happy, clear skin! then all of a sudden, started going downhill...

I never had fantastic results on proactiv, but I did have some good results. Anyways, I've noticed alot of people hinting at the fact that it stops working after 12 months.

I hate to sound like a conspiracy nut or something, but I did notice during my use of the product (and before I found this site) that each month the composition of the cleanser (or whatever the third step was called) seemed to be a bit different. However, this could just be because the old cleanser inside the bottle begins to harden/soften (or whatever) during the rest of the month as the bottle fills with air. I'd hate to think that they slowly wean you off the potency to get you to start buying the masks and such from their catalogue.

I just want to restate that what I've just said has absolutely no scientific basis. Just a long-shot thought I had in my head (which I dont even know that I believe).

Same story here....Proactiv would work for a few months then stop. I actually tried it several times over 7 years & it was the same experience each time. Since nothing else but Proactiv was helping at all I would go back to it out of desperation. CSR (or DKR, whatever) has helped me a lot & has been the reverse: my skin didnt clear up right away & then break out, but is slowly yet significantly improving. I dont think BP is the culprit in Proactiv, but the harsh cleanser & glycolic acid in the toner might be too much for some people. I think the BP is what was working for me in Proactiv, but then my skin would react to the other harsh ingredients (ie. fragrance, scrub & unnecessary BP in cleanser).

So if Proactiv worked for you for a time, then maybe try DKR which is actually more gentle.

Edited to add: Juag, I used to buy Proactiv from kiosks in several different malls where they would not know if I was a repeat customer (& they would also just pick the box off the top & hand it to me). However, I too noticed that their BP lotion (3rd step) would seem to get old in the bottle before used & that a fresh bottle always worked better. Maybe a packaging issue for them. I havent noticed that with DKR BP gel.

Ya i have used proactive a few times to and it always stops after a few months now i stick to spectro gel and spot treating and my face has cleared sometimes too much product is bad

It's about having a clean diet too, so basically, having clear skin is a lifestyle.

That is pretty much a blanket guess about what acne is.

a bad diet can contribute to problems as can stress. Increases oil and Metabolic heart beat will increase oil and production will contribute to your acne problems. But A Bad Diet and Stress isn't everything. I have a bad diet and high stress and extremely high metabolism and I have developed a way to contain my Acne. So there, you are wrong on that point.

i've used proactive for over a year now and i'm still getting the great results that i got in the beginning. but everyone's different right?

If something works for you then great! Keep with it. Maybe your skin isnt that sensitive & fragrances & scrubs dont bother it. I know people with "good skin" who can use stuff like that with no problems. Unfortunately, it seems many acne sufferers have sensitive skin & can end up doing more harm than good with products that are too harsh.

I've used Proactiv for about 6 years, after lots of zits and frustration with typical drug store brands. This is the only thing I've ever used that keeps my acne to a minimum--yes I still have breakouts, but not every day (mostly once-a-month, hormonal).

I think for any product to work, you need to follow the directions exactly (as Dan says with his regimen) and give the product ample time to work. This can be a slow (and ugly) process, but it will be worth it in the long run.

I know Proactiv is not popular here, but I just wanted to share my experience with it. Remember every product will not work for everyone--Proactiv happens to work for me. The only way to know is to try it for a while.