Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pimplypear

good experiences with spironolactone?

I'm pretty sure i'll probably have to end up getting on spironolactone after accutane. I'm in the 5th month and am still getting new cysts. This is adult onset acne (just started a year ago at age 23). i have never had cysts before in my life, and these are scarring. anyway, since i'm still breaking out on accutane (though, admittedly, my skin looks alot better than it did 5 months ago) i'm assuming it's just going to get worse again when i go off it again.

I'm on Yasmin which my gynecologists told me to take for 4 month periods with only 3 periods a year. I'll probably end up taking a low dose spironolactone with the Yasmin after i finish accutane.

my question: can anyone tell about their experiences on spironolactone? has it worked for you? the Yasmin has already lowered my libido, i'm not looking forward to becoming entirely asexual on spiro (though anything for clear skin). if you take a low enough dose, have you noticed any side effects?

To answer your question, yes I've had good experiences with Spiro. I did two rounds of Accutane in the 1990's. My cystic acne always returned after I went off Accutane. Spiro, in my experience, is as good as Accutane for treating cystic acne. If I had known about Spiro in the 1990's, I doubt I would have taken Accutane. The effects are similar but without the nasty side effects, which I experienced on Accutane. On Spiro, my skin is a lot less oily and I rarely get a cyst. When I do, it's very small. Lighter, surface pimples are practically non-existant on Spiro. I started with a low dose at 50mg. This was very effective for about a year. For some reason, my acne flared up after a year and I increased the dose to 100mg for about 6 months. When the break outs were under control again, I was able to decrease the dose back down to 50mg. Spiro has not affected my sex drive, nor have I experienced any other negative side effects even at 100mg. I use other products in conjunction with Spiro. I do glycolic peels to help skin tone and scarring. Glycolic also provides a deep clean preventing clogging. I have topical Cleocin which I apply to my skin around my monthly cycle (just in case there's a flare-up). I would highly recommend Spiro.

To answer your question, yes I've had good experiences with Spiro. I did two rounds of Accutane in the 1990's. My cystic acne always returned after I went off Accutane. Spiro, in my experience, is as good as Accutane for treating cystic acne. If I had known about Spiro in the 1990's, I doubt I would have taken Accutane. The effects are similar but without the nasty side effects, which I experienced on Accutane. On Spiro, my skin is a lot less oily and I rarely get a cyst. When I do, it's very small. Lighter, surface pimples are practically non-existant on Spiro. I started with a low dose at 50mg. This was very effective for about a year. For some reason, my acne flared up after a year and I increased the dose to 100mg for about 6 months. When the break outs were under control again, I was able to decrease the dose back down to 50mg. Spiro has not affected my sex drive, nor have I experienced any other negative side effects even at 100mg. I use other products in conjunction with Spiro. I do glycolic peels to help skin tone and scarring. Glycolic also provides a deep clean preventing clogging. I have topical Cleocin which I apply to my skin around my monthly cycle (just in case there's a flare-up). I would highly recommend Spiro.

thanks so much for the advice. it sounds like the spiro was treating the root of your problem: hormonal acne. Anyone else have experiences with this?

I was on it for about a year, taking 100mg a day. It seemed to help a lot at first, keeping my skin from being excessively oily, but needless to say, I still had acne. You might want to get your testosterone levels tested first, because it is only effective for acne caused by excess androgenic hormones.

did you get your testosterone levels tested before you went on spiro? just curious, b/c i've had mine tested and they are within the normal range. i'm not sure what that's worth though. it's pretty well known that acne is caused by testosterone. my dermatologist also told me that it doesn't matter what the androgen test says...that eveyone has a different setpoint.

are you also on bc

did you get your testosterone levels tested before you went on spiro? just curious, b/c i've had mine tested and they are within the normal range. i'm not sure what that's worth though. it's pretty well known that acne is caused by testosterone. my dermatologist also told me that it doesn't matter what the androgen test says...that eveyone has a different setpoint.

I didn't get my levels tested. My derm told me what yours told you. I believe the reason I've had to adjust the dose is because of fluctuating hormone levels.

surely there is someone else with experience with spironolactone?

i just started taking spiro about a week ago, ..

i've been getting cysts in my tzone area, and forehead, but it could just be that I was on my pms cycle a couple days ago. so far, not much progress, . will update next week...this is depressing

I took this medication for a different reason. Recently, I had to stop because it was affecting my energy levels. Until I can find a more convenient way to suppress androgens, I have to deal with it. So far, I'm the only biological male on this site that I know of to have taken this med.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this medication as it has a somewhat poor safety profile and its mechanism of action is rather mixed. Its primary action is not andorgen suppression. It's ridden with side effects for that reason. By the time I took it, my acne had been cleared through other means, although I did notice dry skin and more frequent bruising.