Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STURZ10

Drinking on Accutane

What happens if i got drunk while on accutane? this of course would be a one time deal, and i haven't been drinking lately. Consequences? is it ok? experiences?

not good...... what if that one time you drink your liver decides it can't handle it? that might not happen, but why take the chance?

when you started accutane you knew the risks and should have agreed not to drink during your short time on this drug (sorry, but it is a very short time).

I wouldn't, but you probably will anyways, no matter what all of us say....

I can't even fathom why you are even considering drinking when you are on a drug that is prone to cause severe liver damage... :doh:

Do your body a favor and stay off the booze until you're done with treatment (and prob a little while after).

alright, i guess you guys hav come to the rescue again. SO i guess i will abstain for now... thnx for the help!!

simple. if drinking is hard on your liver, and so is accutane, why in the world would you do both? This question about drinking on accutane gets asked all the time. Its common sense, just take care of yourself. If you drink while on accutane you wont die, just its not healthy!

look wht i found on http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php?pageI...AQ/Accutane.htm

Accutane and Alcohol [posted 8/13/98]

Question: I have been on accutane for almost 2 months, and so far everything has been great. I was wondering if drinking alcohol affect will affect me? I am afraid to drink because, I am afraid that is may hurt me. Could you respond back to me and tell me if it is ok to drink alcohol while on accutane?

Answer: There is no contraindication or warning associated with the ingestion of alcohol and Accutane.

sooo confused!!!

look wht i found on http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php?pageI...AQ/Accutane.htm

Question: I have been on accutane for almost 2 months, and so far everything has been great. I was wondering if drinking alcohol affect will affect me? I am afraid to drink because, I am afraid that is may hurt me. Could you respond back to me and tell me if it is ok to drink alcohol while on accutane?

Answer: There is no contraindication or warning associated with the ingestion of alcohol and Accutane.

sooo confused!!!

its common sense!!! damn man you need a fuckin guide to tell you something common sense?!!!!

Its bad for you, everyone knows it. Same thing with fuckin extreme sports.. theres no written guidelines tellin you not to play them, but you sure as hell know you can fuckin get hurt seriosuly.

C'mon jus use alil common sense. common sense is the most important thing by the way. If someone is smart and has excellent grades and is in the best college in the world, if they have no common sense, they r fucked and wont go anywhere!

I can't even fathom why you are even considering drinking when you are on a drug that is prone to cause severe liver damage... :doh:

Do your body a favor and stay off the booze until you're done with treatment (and prob a little while after).

Now, I don't disagree that it is probably prudent not to overdo it on alcohol when on accutane. Moderate alcohol use is not contraindicated. I certainly wouln't recommend getting really drunk and certainly not doing that frequently. But catching a buzz with a few drinks now and then has not been shown to cause harm.

but to say "a drug that is prone to cause severe liver damage" is a really ridiculous exaggeration.

Accutane is not "prone" to cause elevated liver functions, there is a small chance of it happening. Even further, elevated liver functions, in itself, is not liver damage, let alone "severe liver damage". Elevated liver functions can be reduced by reducing or stopping the dosage. There is a very, very small chance of long term chances.

This sort of possible bad effects is common with many drugs. Very small chance of problems, very large chance of no problems and good treatment.

This sort of hysteria does not help people make informed decisions.

Ok, I could have worded that better...it doesn't necessarily cause liver damage, but it is hard on your liver. Alcohol is also hard on your liver. As others said, it's common sense. If you want to risk it go ahead, it's your body, but personally I wouldn't do anything to INCREASE the risk of liver damage while on accutane.

I haven't seen any actual statistics to back this up - but....

I have a feeling only a small number of people have any trouble with accutane and their liver. I also have a feeling that moderate drinking would have no effect at all for most people. I have a feeling a few nights of binge drinking wouldn't hurt either.

Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of what exactly the liver can't do or has more trouble doing or what interaction accutane has with alcohol? I've honestly searched a little and couldn't find it.

For example - the last drug I was on, Doxy-something; it said not to go in the sun. I went tanning, in tanning beds. Was perfectly fine. No problems, light tan, life was good. Stupid? Yes. Damaged by it? Nope.

garrrrr!!! i hate not bein able to drink while on this drug it sux soooo much! ive got my 18th bday next week and i cant even go out to the pubs and drink....its my godamn 18th ARGH :evil: so im gunna b the loser who goes out and cant drink on their birthday :mad: ...ohwell its my own doing i guess :razz:

k i have a personal experience to share with alcohol and accutane.

About one month ago we decided to do an impromptu crate day. For those who dont know what crates are. They are a wooden box with 12 bottles of beer, and each bottle is 745mls. That equates to about 2.4 - 2.5 drinks per bottle.

Now i didnt take my dose but i doubt that it mattered that night. I ended up drinking 10 of those bottles which is a shit load of beer, and i know it was stupid and all but its all and done.

The next day i woke up with a slight sore head, and when i went to the toilet urination was actually painful for the first time in my life. Im think that it was must likely due to my kidneys, but maybe some liver damage or inability to cope with the amount. I didnt feel like i had a sore liver as that is quite common to experience so i was gratful for that.

I havnt drunk to that excess since but i still drink 1 - 2 times per week averaging about 15beers in total a week if im truefuly honest. When asking my derm about this he just said its not helpful to drink while on accutane as it just puts more another posion into you that it has to deal with, but he under stands im a student and suggested being smart and not taking the dose if you are indeed going to drink.

just thought i would share what i have experienced

:>

sooo confused!!!

its common sense!!! damn man you need a fuckin guide to tell you something common sense?!!!!

Its bad for you, everyone knows it. Same thing with fuckin extreme sports.. theres no written guidelines tellin you not to play them, but you sure as hell know you can fuckin get hurt seriosuly.

C'mon jus use alil common sense. common sense is the most important thing by the way. If someone is smart and has excellent grades and is in the best college in the world, if they have no common sense, they r fucked and wont go anywhere!

whatever man, i drank weekly on accutane and im fine

Now, I don't disagree that it is probably prudent not to overdo it on alcohol when on accutane. Moderate alcohol use is not contraindicated. I certainly wouln't recommend getting really drunk and certainly not doing that frequently. But catching a buzz with a few drinks now and then has not been shown to cause harm.

but to say "a drug that is prone to cause severe liver damage" is a really ridiculous exaggeration.

Accutane is not "prone" to cause elevated liver functions, there is a small chance of it happening. Even further, elevated liver functions, in itself, is not liver damage, let alone "severe liver damage". Elevated liver functions can be reduced by reducing or stopping the dosage. There is a very, very small chance of long term chances.

This sort of possible bad effects is common with many drugs. Very small chance of problems, very large chance of no problems and good treatment.

This sort of hysteria does not help people make informed decisions.

Excellent post.

However, this drug is rx to college age students who don't necessarily take their future health very seriously, especially when it comes to alcohol. I believe this is why the alcohol warnings are on the pharmacy packaging but there is nothing in the accutane literature. My derm said, "Oh, that warning is for the college kids who get drunk all the time."

I happen to drink every day. But it's one or two and NEVER more than that. And I feel safe knowing that I am getting tested every month. But, I am 40 years old and have tons more self control and common sense than most college age partiers (of which I was a proud member for years.... :razz: ).

Be safe and don't get drunk for 6 months. It's not that hard. You'll need your liver for all the medication you'll be taking when you are an old person. :confused:

Platinum

Ok, I could have worded that better...it doesn't necessarily cause liver damage, but it is hard on your liver. Alcohol is also hard on your liver. As others said, it's common sense. If you want to risk it go ahead, it's your body, but personally I wouldn't do anything to INCREASE the risk of liver damage while on accutane.

Accutane is not hard on everyone's liver. They test everyone, just in case.

I haven't seen any actual statistics to back this up - but....

I have a feeling only a small number of people have any trouble with accutane and their liver. I also have a feeling that moderate drinking would have no effect at all for most people. I have a feeling a few nights of binge drinking wouldn't hurt either.

Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of what exactly the liver can't do or has more trouble doing or what interaction accutane has with alcohol? I've honestly searched a little and couldn't find it.

For example - the last drug I was on, Doxy-something; it said not to go in the sun. I went tanning, in tanning beds. Was perfectly fine. No problems, light tan, life was good. Stupid? Yes. Damaged by it? Nope.

I think it's just smart to know the risks so you can make informed decisions.

Just a note: doxy caused me to burn horribly. Accutane has given me no sun sensitivity at all.

garrrrr!!! i hate not bein able to drink while on this drug it sux soooo much! ive got my 18th bday next week and i cant even go out to the pubs and drink....its my godamn 18th ARGH :evil: so im gunna b the loser who goes out and cant drink on their birthday :mad: ...ohwell its my own doing i guess :razz:

Is the drinking age 18 there?

About one month ago we decided to do an impromptu crate day. For those who dont know what crates are. They are a wooden box with 12 bottles of beer, and each bottle is 745mls. That equates to about 2.4 - 2.5 drinks per bottle.

Now i didnt take my dose but i doubt that it mattered that night. I ended up drinking 10 of those bottles which is a shit load of beer, and i know it was stupid and all but its all and done.

The next day i woke up with a slight sore head, and when i went to the toilet urination was actually painful for the first time in my life. Im think that it was must likely due to my kidneys, but maybe some liver damage or inability to cope with the amount. I didnt feel like i had a sore liver as that is quite common to experience so i was gratful for that.

I havnt drunk to that excess since but i still drink 1 - 2 times per week averaging about 15beers in total a week if im truefuly honest. When asking my derm about this he just said its not helpful to drink while on accutane as it just puts more another posion into you that it has to deal with, but he under stands im a student and suggested being smart and not taking the dose if you are indeed going to drink.

Do you do liver tests monthly?

MY INPUT

Last tuesday i got my 2nd blood tests done.The friday before this i had around 6 drinks...i was extremely tipsy but not drunk.My results were FINE...... there wasnt any noticable difference.

I have these sessions every 2 months or so where i drink 6 drinks. They were Smirnoff Storms 7% Alcohol.Im gonna drink a drink when i feel it.

FUCK that.My GP didnt say shit and neither does the booklet.Just dont get drunk i think...tipsy is fine.Some people act like its fucking taking cocaine or something.Some people are so dramatic

Hey gurl, don't get so paranoid about it.

People who say that accutane is hard on the liver aren't being very accurate. For most, if not all people, it doesn't even stress the liver. This is to say that if you use the liver function test (LFT) as a measure of stress on the liver, most people do not even see a change in that. LFTs are very rarely elevated, statistically, it's very small.

Accutane, like many, many, many medications and other things you consume (e.g. alcohol) is "detoxified" in the liver. This is what the liver is there for! These things all work the liver, but do not necessarily work it beyond what it's designed to do. Many things work the liver, but we don't say they stress the liver unless they work it beyond its capability.

Certainly the more things you consume that work the liver, the more likely it is to be 'stressed'. But again, is the stress beyond what the liver is capable of? If so, the LFTs show elevation.

Furthermore, an elevated LFT does not mean liver damage, it just means stress beyond normal. This can be a large amount, or a small amount. It can be short term or long term. Obviously, higher elevations and/or longer time periods are more dangerous.

If (unlikely) stress is found, it can be reduced and damage avoided by reducing the work put on the liver. That's why you get monthly blood tests to see if it's rising and deal with it before it is harmful.

If the combination of alcohol and accutane 'stresses' the liver beyond normal, if it isn't an everyday thing, the stress will go away when the alcohol and/or medication is reduced. In other words, IF the alcohol causes your LFT's to rise (big IF), and if you are not doing this every day to excess, they will go back down when the alcohol's gone. Note I'm talking about occasional drinking as opposed to regular binges.

Liver damage caused by alcohol is not caused by getting little tipsy from time to time. It is caused by alcohol use over a long time.

Go out and have a few drinks on your birthday. Have fun, but don't get totally wasted. Hell, get enough of a buzz to dance on the tables, but not enough to fall off and hurt yourself!! It's more important taht you be careful, be safe and don't overdo it. It certainly makes sense to be prudent with alcohol while on accutane, but you don't have to be a tee-totaler (sp?).

ive had one test while being on isotane and im half way through my 3rd month. My derm is actually very casual about it all as hes been prescribing it for 15 years. He didnt sit me down and say do not drink

ive also got another 2 friends on it right now. They both get absolutely slaughtered every weekend twice and have had no problems yet. Their derm even told them not to worry about it. Although i dont know if they specified how much it is they drink.

Im not saying getting drunk is fine on this treatment, but its not the end of the world at all.

ive had one test while being on isotane and im half way through my 3rd month. My derm is actually very casual about it all as hes been prescribing it for 15 years. He didnt sit me down and say do not drink

ive also got another 2 friends on it right now. They both get absolutely slaughtered every weekend twice and have had no problems yet. Their derm even told them not to worry about it. Although i dont know if they specified how much it is they drink.

Im not saying getting drunk is fine on this treatment, but its not the end of the world at all.

Alright. niice

Hey gurl, don't get so paranoid about it.

People who say that accutane is hard on the liver aren't being very accurate. For most, if not all people, it doesn't even stress the liver. This is to say that if you use the liver function test (LFT) as a measure of stress on the liver, most people do not even see a change in that. LFTs are very rarely elevated, statistically, it's very small.

Accutane, like many, many, many medications and other things you consume (e.g. alcohol) is "detoxified" in the liver. This is what the liver is there for! These things all work the liver, but do not necessarily work it beyond what it's designed to do. Many things work the liver, but we don't say they stress the liver unless they work it beyond its capability.

Certainly the more things you consume that work the liver, the more likely it is to be 'stressed'. But again, is the stress beyond what the liver is capable of? If so, the LFTs show elevation.

Furthermore, an elevated LFT does not mean liver damage, it just means stress beyond normal. This can be a large amount, or a small amount. It can be short term or long term. Obviously, higher elevations and/or longer time periods are more dangerous.

If (unlikely) stress is found, it can be reduced and damage avoided by reducing the work put on the liver. That's why you get monthly blood tests to see if it's rising and deal with it before it is harmful.

If the combination of alcohol and accutane 'stresses' the liver beyond normal, if it isn't an everyday thing, the stress will go away when the alcohol and/or medication is reduced. In other words, IF the alcohol causes your LFT's to rise (big IF), and if you are not doing this every day to excess, they will go back down when the alcohol's gone. Note I'm talking about occasional drinking as opposed to regular binges.

Liver damage caused by alcohol is not caused by getting little tipsy from time to time. It is caused by alcohol use over a long time.

Go out and have a few drinks on your birthday. Have fun, but don't get totally wasted. Hell, get enough of a buzz to dance on the tables, but not enough to fall off and hurt yourself!! It's more important taht you be careful, be safe and don't overdo it. It certainly makes sense to be prudent with alcohol while on accutane, but you don't have to be a tee-totaler (sp?).

haha yea your probaly right but i know that if i start drinking i cant stop..i either dont drink at all or end up blacking out...lol bad i know but it seems to happen all the time :razz: ...as crap as it is i think i'll just stay clear of the booze LoL...ive drank enough of it in one life time already :angel:

haha yup its 18 here :D

Is the drinking age 18 there?

Do you do liver tests monthly?