Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juliedee

Dianette/Clairette

Hi,

I'm new to this board, so I appologise if you have heard this before.

Dianette is a brand of birth-control pill which is usually prescribed to women who have acne or excess hair issues. I was prescribed it a year ago, and almost immediately, my self-esteem dropped dramatically. After two months, I had hit rock bottom, with extreme feelings of depression, I had lost all interest in my studies and drifted away from friends and family. One night, after suspecting that the pill had caused this, I typed it into Google, and immediately found warnings and articles from women who had experienced the same thing.

I live in the UK, so I emailed APRIL, a charity who deal with mental health reactions to prescription medication, and they put me in touch with many women with similar stories.

Many doctors are researching the drug, I found this article in the Guardian, a British newspaper: [url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1769935,00.html]

I wanted to warn others of the dangers of this drug because the doctor did not explain the possible side-effects to me when she prescribed it.

I have no history of depression or any other mental health issue, and I felt much better within a month of stopping Dianette

Everyone is different. I've been on it for 7 months and haven't experienced any mood changes.