Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
His Royal Highness

Cetaphil Moisturizers - Cream vs. Lotion

I started my Accutane (Claravis) course about a week ago, and although my skin hasn't toally dried out yet, I know I"ll be needing a moisturizer soon. I'm already using the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and love it, but I need help determining which moisturizer to use. I thought it would be the lotion hands down, but I did a little researching on product review sites and looked through the ingredients in each, and now I'm not sure which to get. The lotion is supposedly more greasy/makes you look shiny and doesn't absorb as well as the cream, whereas the cream apparently absorbs pretty well and isn't so greasy. However, the cream does cotain Petrolatum as one of the first few ingredients, which worries me. Both products say they are good for facial use and are non-comedogenic, as well as free of lanolins and parabens.

Which one would be better for my skin whilst on Accutane (Claravis)? Would the cream make my skin too oily or clog my pores because of the Petrolatum?

I have both products here and they both say non-comedogenic. The cream is in a tub and it is pretty thick. The lotion is obviously a lighter thinner product. I think it just comes down to your personal preference really.

i have been using the cream on my chin for the past 2 weeks, trying to combat extreme dryness, and i think it's responsible for the 4 giant whiteheads + red cyst i have right now. :wall:

though i LOVE this stuff for my hands, feet, & body. :P

I've been through a tub of the cream for night use, and am using lotion now for both day and night. The cream is definitely a lot thicker and doesn't absorb as well, which is why I never used it during the day. It leaves the same sort of feeling as if you'd slabbed vaseline onto your face. The great thing is that it moisturizes extremely well, and my face definitely looked better each morning. One of the ingredients is lactic acid (an AHA), but I'm not sure the percentage so it may have negligible effect.

The lotion is pretty much identical in ingredients except it's not a cream, it uses citric acid instead of lactic acid, and it seems to absorb a lot better. It is a big improvement over the day moisturizer I was using before (aveeno ultra calming, which didn't moisturize well and made my face burn), although it does tend to leave a greasy residue (but not as much as the cream). I haven't been using it for too long, so I'm going to try decreasing the amount I use to see if that helps w/ the greasy feeling. The main reason I switched to a lotion is that I've read bad things about using creams for acne, and I wanted something I could put on in the day. Also its pretty much the same stuff, so I didn't feel I was losing any moisturizing qualities.

I started my Accutane (Claravis) course about a week ago, and although my skin hasn't toally dried out yet, I know I"ll be needing a moisturizer soon. I'm already using the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and love it, but I need help determining which moisturizer to use. I thought it would be the lotion hands down, but I did a little researching on product review sites and looked through the ingredients in each, and now I'm not sure which to get. The lotion is supposedly more greasy/makes you look shiny and doesn't absorb as well as the cream, whereas the cream apparently absorbs pretty well and isn't so greasy. However, the cream does cotain Petrolatum as one of the first few ingredients, which worries me. Both products say they are good for facial use and are non-comedogenic, as well as free of lanolins and parabens.

Which one would be better for my skin whilst on Accutane (Claravis)? Would the cream make my skin too oily or clog my pores because of the Petrolatum?

eucerin red relief moisturizer cream, great for dryness and will gradually decrease redness

i dont understand why a lotta people love that Cetaphil cleanser.. it has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it..i thought that was a big no no :naughty:

i guess everyones face is different. is it really that gentle??