Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CookieKiss

Are there any accutane users

I was wondering if any of you started taking accutane for mild but stubborn acne. If so... have you had any succes with it? Would you rather not done it? :think:

Was your IB worse than your acne ever was? :doubt: But most importantly has it cleared you? I mean... was it worth it?

My God... look at me asking sooo many questions :wall:

Thank you so much in advance.

I had moderate/cystic acne so can't help you myself.....

but at the moment I can only think of one user that had mild acne that took accutane, and he has been going around on the accutane posts saying how horrible it is and how it made his mild acne worse. You can't miss him, he's putting his story everywhere.

I think he's trying to discourage everyone from using accutane, but really it's a good warning story for those with mild acne only (who didn't try anything but OTC products). User and bad derms beware! ;)

My acne was kind of mild when i started accutane. it was worse (cystic) before but retin a and antibiotics controlled it somewhat. the reason i went on accutane was because i wanted my acne to go away completely. also, i didn't want to be on antibiotics forever, and i knew once i stopped my acne would get worse again.

..my Ib wasn't bad at all. actually i didn't have one, I'm still on accutane, but it is working very well.

I think he's trying to discourage everyone from using accutane, but really it's a good warning story for those with mild acne only. User and bad derms beware! ;)

Thank you Jess ;)

So Jordan.. yours before retin-a was moderate you say :think: , except that im the same as you :shifty:

Im in doubt, should i pop the question to my derm. Everytime she prescribes me something it's working... but not endlessly unfortunately. I don't want any disappointments anymore. :wall:

Thank you Jess ;)

So Jordan.. yours before retin-a was moderate you say :think: , except that im the same as you :shifty:

Im in doubt, should i pop the question to my derm. Everytime she prescribes me something it's working... but not endlessly unfortunately. I don't want any disappointments anymore. :wall:

yes, I would say it was moderate.

Mine was VERY mild.....:) i would get a few pimples on the jawline and in other spots.But i tried Mino and all the OTC BULLSHIT! so my GP checked me and said that it would just keep coming back so he offered Tane and i accepted.

Now my IB occured on week 4.i had a very nasty patch of 4 pimples on my left cheek.Problem was i popped them and it made things worse.Anyways i can honestly say its doing its job so far.All the underlying small acne i had has cleared completely.My very mild BACNE is GONE....completely.Im so happy i can swim this summer not worrying bout it.

So far so good.The breakouts im getting are irritating but im only into my 3rd month so im not throwing the towel in ;)

You make tane sound like a death sentence for mild acne :|

I'm on Day 18 now of a 30 mg per day doseage for mild bacne. It used to be quite bad, a couple of years back i started Oxytetracycline, and that helped a little although i got lazy with missing some dose times and such. Then about 2 to 3 months ago i started erythromycin and retin-a which helped more. Now i'm on accutane, personal choice since i asked the derm and she said it wasn't the next course of action but she would prescribe it since i asked for it. I want to be clear by January when i start clinical assessment and have to be comfortable topless before classmates (learning ECG's etc).

So er.. long story short, i can't say much at Day 18, but what i can say is that i'm down to around 3 active spots. I seem to be seeing fast results and hopefully it shouldn't suddenly make me worse.

My IB happened at day 8 i think. Well let's just say i hadn't seen my acne like that since Pre-erythromycin.. maybe even when i first started getting it. So i would think that WAS my IB and that it is hopefully over already :)

Hope this helped.

This is my second course, and I would say that I went into it with "mild cystic acne". First course was 10 years ago with severe localised cysts on my chin. But everything else gave me a bad reaction or didn't work, so when I decided it was time for round 2 as a refresher, I went straight for Accutane and my derm agreed.

I just started week 3 and it's exactly like it was when I was 16...dry skin and lips (which I'm taking much better care of now that I'm a bit more responsible). Nothing else. Seriously. And I'm on 1mg/kg/day.

As for IB...so far it's the same as a "bad" month. But already, save for the odd zit popping up here or there, the rest of my skin is looking fantastically smooth. And as a bonus, anything that is popping up clears up about 3x as fast as normal.

Guest desperate in T.O

Hey CookieKiss,

I have mild acne, and I am on 40mg/day of tane. It is working amazingly for me. I love it. Aside from some of the side effects, I have no problems. My skin feels smooth and the breakouts are bareable. However, I am only on my 2nd month. But thus far I am happy with the results.

hope this helps!

-T.O

This is my second course, and I would say that I went into it with "mild cystic acne". First course was 10 years ago with severe localised cysts on my chin. But everything else gave me a bad reaction or didn't work, so when I decided it was time for round 2 as a refresher, I went straight for Accutane and my derm agreed.

I just started week 3 and it's exactly like it was when I was 16...dry skin and lips (which I'm taking much better care of now that I'm a bit more responsible). Nothing else. Seriously. And I'm on 1mg/kg/day.

As for IB...so far it's the same as a "bad" month. But already, save for the odd zit popping up here or there, the rest of my skin is looking fantastically smooth. And as a bonus, anything that is popping up clears up about 3x as fast as normal.

Hey CookieKiss,

I have mild acne, and I am on 40mg/day of tane. It is working amazingly for me. I love it. Aside from some of the side effects, I have no problems. My skin feels smooth and the breakouts are bareable. However, I am only on my 2nd month. But thus far I am happy with the results.

hope this helps!

-T.O

Thank you for replying. :angel: Your stories sound very encouraging. Im glad tane is working well for you. I guess i'll be asking my derm about it but after new years...

I had moderate/cystic acne so can't help you myself.....

but at the moment I can only think of one user that had mild acne that took accutane, and he has been going around on the accutane posts saying how horrible it is and how it made his mild acne worse. You can't miss him, he's putting his story everywhere.

I think he's trying to discourage everyone from using accutane, but really it's a good warning story for those with mild acne only (who didn't try anything but OTC products). User and bad derms beware!

yeah sadly to say, thats me^

I started with mild acne, 1 pustule and a few whiteheads on my face but quite oily.Now 4 months half in, my acne is moderat/severe and i have loads of permanant scarring which i never did have before accutane.Needless to say, the oil returned too,albeit not as bad much as before.Maybe im one of those unlucky ones who have to bear an entire course of torment but then get rewarded with complete remission,who knows?Anyway going on accutane for mild acne has been by far the biggest regret of my life

yeah sadly to say, thats me^

I started with mild acne, 1 pustule and a few whiteheads on my face but quite oily.Now 4 months half in, my acne is moderat/severe and i have loads of permanant scarring which i never did have before accutane.Needless to say, the oil returned too,albeit not as bad much as before.Maybe im one of those unlucky ones who have to bear an entire course of torment but then get rewarded with complete remission,who knows?Anyway going on accutane for mild acne has been by far the biggest regret of my life

:comfort: Im so sorry you're disappointed... im hoping that maybe by the end or after you finish the course you'll get your reward, clear skin. As ive read in here, many accutane users see results months after finishing the course.

I'm wishing you all the luck there is with accutane!

I had mostly mild acne, but I did break out with cysts every month at a "certain time". My reason for going on accutane is that my skin took a long time to heal. I am also very fair and was always left with scarring even from the mild acne. So my mild acne looked even worse because of all of the scarring. Even if i didn't have many active pimples it still looked like it.

Any way I am on the tane and my IB wasn't any worse than any other breakout really. I have experienced two of them. One about three weeks after I started accutane and then another one about three weeks after my dosage was increased. I think it is best to expect your IB will be worse. For me it has been worth it. I have been clearer than ever for 6 weeks out of 8 on my treatment. I have three more to go and my derm has stressed that I shouldn't break out any more after next month.

My best advice is to express your concerns to your doctor. Many give their patients antibiotics or something else to ward off the IB. Good luck to you in making your decision.