Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beauty Bot

accutane and BDD....

I think I might of had BDD (body dysmorphic disorder), now that I look back, before accutane I spent at least 1-2 hours a day inspecting my skin on my body and face in the mirror...... obsessing, washing, picking, putting on products, make up, etc.

Now that my face is clear, I glance in the mirror in the morning and while I'm brushing my teeth (for some reason I have to watch myself doing it - anyone else like this?) and for about 30 seconds at night extra to smile and know there are no new pimples.

I get to bed earlier, I can wake up later..... this is SO NEAT.

*accutane dance*

:dance::dance::clap::clap::dance::dance::clap::clap::wub:

ALSO, I was out on the weekend and saw a job posted when I was leaving a store (that pays 45K a year). Knowing that my face didn't look like crap, I marched right up to the manager and asked for an application and what I should do to get this job. I never would have done that before without going home and making sure my face looked at least presentable.

This drug has changed my life! :D

Awesome :D Glad to hear it gave you great skin but MORE importantly your confidence back....! I mean what is a person without confidence....? Miracle Drug :)

Most people would say I had it too. But for me my pimples would pop up so darn quickly out of nowhere I would look to see how many new ones cropped up. Thats why I would look often but it would be many times a day.

Whats the job Jess and did you hear anything back from the manager?

Oh my God I totally think that having acne and caused me to have a form of BDD, except I'm not obsessed with my body, just my skin.

What made it worse too is my rearview mirror in my car is broken (has been for a few months, lol) so it gives me a perfect angle to just tilt up my head a little and see my face, and I ALWAYS look now. At different times for different lighting. It's horrible. I seriously think I have Acne Dysmorphic Disorder.

:shifty:

that's so awesome :dance::dance:

Accutane has improved my skin a lot, but it's still not perfect at all. I can relate to spending 1-2 hours...sometimes up to 5 hours a day scrutinizing my skin, applying makeup, applying topicals, etc.

Now I probably spend about 20 minutes a day, which is still horrible, but improved. Most of that is makeup time or washing.

:lol: omg someone else does the same things I do! but since my face is clear now I don't spend anywhere near the same amount of time looking at every inch on my face...but now instead I have this new obsession with my teeth, I've been noticing little chips on my front teeth so now I'll be going to the dentist to fix them :redface:

I think I might of had BDD (body dysmorphic disorder), now that I look back, before accutane I spent at least 1-2 hours a day inspecting my skin on my body and face in the mirror...... obsessing, washing, picking, putting on products, make up, etc.

Now that my face is clear, I glance in the mirror in the morning and while I'm brushing my teeth (for some reason I have to watch myself doing it - anyone else like this?) and for about 30 seconds at night extra to smile and know there are no new pimples.

:lol: omg someone else does the same things I do! but since my face is clear now I don't spend anywhere near the same amount of time looking at every inch on my face...but now instead I have this new obsession with my teeth, I've been noticing little chips on my front teeth so now I'll be going to the dentist to fix them :redface:

hahaha i do the same thing :wall: ...when my face gets better, i all of a sudden realize my hair sucks or my teeth need to be whiter.

I get to bed earlier, I can wake up later..... this is SO NEAT.

*accutane dance*

:dance::dance::clap::clap::dance::dance::clap::clap::wub:

ALSO, I was out on the weekend and saw a job posted when I was leaving a store (that pays 45K a year). Knowing that my face didn't look like crap, I marched right up to the manager and asked for an application and what I should do to get this job. I never would have done that before without going home and making sure my face looked at least presentable.

This drug has changed my life! :D

I relate to many of your posts. This one especially. I'd often call the derm. for an injection when I realized I was just obsessed with looking at some beginning cyst and trying to "evaluate" it or figure out if I could pop it. When I realized I was in that state of obsession (yes, it really was!), I'd say to hell with it, I'm calling and would do it. I ALWAYS felt better doing it. Even though it's somewhat embarassing calling, sitting in the waiting room, walking back through the waiting room after injection, trying to hide for a couple of hours until the injection calmed down, etc.

I agree with your BDD assessment and your final sentance!

when i was in high school (pre first round of accutane) and had copious amounts of (non-cystic) acne i would only look in the mirror without my glasses on. then i couldnt' see my acne and could imagine how pretty i could be if it wasn't there. it makes me sad to remember those days.

but now i'm scared they'll come back...