Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i mean if you've tried loads of stuff antis topicals for mild acne i'm 26 and suffering very badly (emotionally) and it's all due to my acne coming back it's ruining my life do you think a derm in the uk would take me seriously and give me accutane i feel i can't function anymore and have started taking time off work again because of it i loved my life before this all started happening again but i'm so scared i won't be able to have tane i've thought long and hard about this and i think it could give me my life back does anyone here use or used tane in the past for mild acne (in the uk)

I'm in the UK and am on Roaccutane. I suffered from mild/mod acne since I was 13 (28 now), and every now and again I would try another topical, another antibiotic etc, but nothing worked. At the beginning of the year my acne just kept getting worse and again I went back to the GP (new one - had just moved house). She took very seriously the fact that this was affecting my emotional wellbeing and thought I should have been referred to a derm way before.

So when I was, they were nothing but sympathetic and put me on Roaccutane. Just let them know how much this is affecting your life. They will also be more keen to prescribe it if you have tried lots of other stuff. And if you havn't tried everything they think will work at least it will be a derm prescribing it - who knows a whole load more about acne than your GP will.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply the trouble is sometimes i only have 2 spots and other times more but i've tried lots of antibiotics BC pills and topicals over the yrs i have had 5 yrs of clear skin and thought i'd outgrown all this but it's been back since august and is really effecting my life i cry at least once a day and i'm thinking of asking for anti depressants as i am down all the time because of this i'm 26 i'm just worried they'll say you're not bad enough go away but i feel bad enough i really can't go on like this anymore

If it is making you feel that bad, you MUST try and get a referral. I don't reckon it will be as hard as you think. If your GP isn't sympathetic, try another one. I know how bad it can feel (and it must feel rotten when you thought you had got over it), . You're not a teenager anymore, so it is an abnormal problem. They should treat it as such.

I hope you feel better soon

I got Roaccutane on my first dermatology appointment ever, for mild bacne. I had a nice derm, but i had only tried 2 other kinds of medication and one retinoid cream beforehand.

thanks so much smidgy i went to see a derm 6 yrs ago who prescibed me minocin which did work after 2-3 mths i stayed on it 4 yrs and was still clear 2 yrs after coming off it so thought i was clear for good my gp is v nice he suffered with acne when he was young so he understands i'm sure he'll send me to the derm i'm just worried about what the derm will say i'll probably take my mam with me (sad i know) but she knows how it effects me and might be able to help convince them i just want to clear up for good and not have this hanging over me each time i finish antibiotics

sorry for the poor me rant :boohoo: thanks again smidgy you've given me some hope :D

I got Roaccutane on my first dermatology appointment ever, for mild bacne. I had a nice derm, but i had only tried 2 other kinds of medication and one retinoid cream beforehand.