Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*Stefy*

30mgs of Accutane

So, I have to take 30mgs of Accutane daily but it's made up of 2 pills, one of 20mgs and one of 10mgs.

My question is: 'Does it make any difference if I take the 2 pills together or separated (i.e. 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner)?' And if it does, is it better taking them together or separated??

Derms have different philosophies on this. Some want you to divide your dose, and some say to go ahead and take it all together. Either do whatever is more convienent, or call your derm and ask what s/he wants you to do.

She said it doesn't really matter, like taking it with food or not (that it's not true, but anyway...).

Anyway she said it's the same thing... Do you have a theory or believe that is right either way?

take it with during a meal. if you dont it can make you feel sick. also make sure you take it with something fatty.

So, I have to take 30mgs of Accutane daily but it's made up of 2 pills, one of 20mgs and one of 10mgs.

My question is: 'Does it make any difference if I take the 2 pills together or separated (i.e. 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner)?' And if it does, is it better taking them together or separated??

I don't think it makes a huge difference. I posted a while ago a website that described the absorption. YOu might be able to find it. IIRC, peak blood level was 3 hours after taking it and the half life was 10-20 hours with an average of about 15. This means 1/2 of the peak level remains after 15 hours, and half of that (1/4) after 30 hours. Which means it's somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 at 24 hours when you take your next dose.

Every med you take has a similar graph - the difference is in how short or long that half life is. Short half life is common with 3-4 time per day meds. Long half life is common with 1-2 times per day meds. No med's "therapeutic level" is based on the peak level, but more is based on the level when you take the next dose. My WAG (wild ass guess) is that the therapeutic dose for accutane, based on weight, is indeed somewhere around the 25-50% of peak level, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

However, if you divide the doses, the blood level will stay closer to 1/2+ level which can only be good, imho. I think your doctor knows that this is probably not very significant in the therapeutic activity in the drug, or if it is significant, it's not "really significant".

I do know that taking it with fat increases blood absorption by a factor of 2: w/o fat, you get half the benefit in terms of blood level. This totally trumps any 1 or 2 times per day issues.

In other words, if you're a low fat diet sort of person, it would make sense to take all the med once per day and concentrate your fat in that meal.

If I were you, I'd take the 10 with a mildly fatty breakfast and the 20 with somewhat more fatty supper. (wer'e not talking about a LOT of fat either way). There's more hours between supper and breakfast, therefore it makes sense to do it that way.

If it'snot convenient, or if you forget, just take them at the same time.