Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gttraveling

How deep for subcission before unsafe?

I hear that subcision makes things worse if the scar is not too deep, but how deep is deep?? |::)

This would be helpful to know because when I've seen doctors, some say "No way, no subcision for you. Fraxel." And then others suggest subcision on me. It's hard to tell, and I would like to hear other people's experiences. I am afraid that some doctors just want me to do fraxel/laser because it makes them more $ and is much less work.

Deep means it is noticeable just glancing over the skin I guess. My derm did subcision for me on a few shallow scars but he told me there might not be much results but he says it's worth a shot anyway.

Yeah, if a doc insists on fraxel despite your budget/severe scarring/any other reason, he's probably out to rip you off.

I had some ice pick scars that were not really deep. They are still there but moved to the surface I would say 85% improve. They are not noticable and can be filled in with concealer now. There are only a few and a light excision line that are left and can be noticed without me getting u under weird lights and pointing to them.

Keith,

You had icepicks subcised? I thought that was a big no-no...

Did you say you had them subcised and then excised (or vice versa?).

Very interesting. I have lots of ice picks as well, and always thought that it wasnt possible to subcise them for it would only cause scarring on the surface.

I had some ice pick scars that were not really deep. They are still there but moved to the surface I would say 85% improve. They are not noticable and can be filled in with concealer now. There are only a few and a light excision line that are left and can be noticed without me getting u under weird lights and pointing to them.

Keith,

You had icepicks subcised? I thought that was a big no-no...

Did you say you had them subcised and then excised (or vice versa?).

Very interesting. I have lots of ice picks as well, and always thought that it wasnt possible to subcise them for it would only cause scarring on the surface.

Nope I posted about this a lot in the past few months. I had one raised scar excised and the ice picks in the area (upper right cheek) subsized. I had never heard of this either for ice picks but it owrked and the doctor said she had done this before. THey took literally maybe 1-1 1/2 weeks to fully heal and never were even very red. It was a great procedure that I think others should look into. THe subcision creates scarring directly under the ice pick scars forcing them to the surface.

One of the cons of subcision(if you can call it that) is getting your derm to do it, few do it.