Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lakeviews

Accutane raising triglyceride level?

I got lab results back and the doctor told me my triglycerides were really high and that accutane increased it. Has anyone had the same problem? He told me that I can't eat wheat, foods that have lot of carbs- rice , potatoes, etc... Also nothing starchy... I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to eat since I usually eat bread/rice/pasta/potatoes. I've been trying to eat seafood past couple days but I feel sick.

I'm trying to get some exercise and cut down on most of the stuff, hopefully it wont be a long term problem.

he told you not to eat wheat and stuff? :eh: ...that's a new one for me. My triglycerides went up too, I just didn't eat anything with saturated fats, just healthy fats. I also ate lots of veggies and did loads of cardio :) and my triglycerides went down alot!

he told you not to eat wheat and stuff? :eh: ...that's a new one for me. My triglycerides went up too, I just didn't eat anything with saturated fats, just healthy fats. I also ate lots of veggies and did loads of cardio :) and my triglycerides went down alot!

Yea he offered me to get on this medicine that lowers triglycerides I guess but I decided to work through it by diet/exercise. Really sucks though I really can't find anything that doesnt have carbs/cholestrol/fats besides veggies and fruits but they those cant fill me up

That was pretty cool of him to offer you that medicine, mine didn't! I know what you mean by not having many options, I was pretty freaked out too considering I'm a vegetarian! I just used alot of healthy alternatives for things, like the I can't believe it's not butter (the fat free kind has no cholesterol). So when you're food shopping just look to see if what you like has any saturated fat or cholesterol, if it doesn't then it's ok.

Were you fasted for your lab work? Had you consumed alcohol within 72 hours of the lab work? Either of these can spike triglycerides and give your doctor an inaccurate picture. Accutane does raise blood lipid levels in many people, so that's what's going on if you were fasted and hadn't had any alcohol recently. Diet/exercise may not do much if Accutane is causing the elevation unless your baselines were also elevated above normal or were borderline.

Here's the American Heart Association's page on triglycerides for more information:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4778

my derm always told me my triglerides were higher but fine. She told me not to eat any junk food or whatever.

If your triglerices are so high, I'd advise not to really eat any meat for a while, and chill with the carbs as well lol. sorry to cut i down like that.

And dont take that other medicine to lower triglerides.. C'mon your too young to be fuckin around with all this medicine. Just stick with diet, be very strict with your diet, chill with meat and carbs, i know that sounds like you really can't eat much if you do that, but just try and compose a very specific diet that has little to none of the two. And also drink more water!

mine were slightly elevated, but still in the normal range, not enough to lower my dose. she just said to limit fatty foods.

I got lab results back and the doctor told me my triglycerides were really high and that accutane increased it. Has anyone had the same problem? He told me that I can't eat wheat, foods that have lot of carbs- rice , potatoes, etc... Also nothing starchy... I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to eat since I usually eat bread/rice/pasta/potatoes. I've been trying to eat seafood past couple days but I feel sick.

I'm trying to get some exercise and cut down on most of the stuff, hopefully it wont be a long term problem.

I went on the medicine -a statin. They also tax your liver too so that could be an issue.

Exercize and diet can help a lot. If you're confused about this, ask your doctor for a specific diet related to triglycerides. If thye dont' have it, search on line.

Guest been13years

Sorry, but everyone saying "don't eat wheat or carbs", wtf? Those don't have any cholesterol. Animal products with lots of saturated fat are what you need to stay away from. Now, if by carbs you mean Twinkies and Combos, then yes, stay away. But whole grains, fruits, nuts, and veggies are all part of a healthy diet.

Oatmeal is the ultimate cholesterol-vacuuming food, and guess what? CARB.