Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtedog

Starting Roaccutane...questions

whats up gang! :cool:

I am starting roaccutane/ accutane this week, probably on friday after my exams, and have a few questions. I am getting my perscription sent to me fom my derm in another city. I never actually went to see him so don't know what my dose is. Should arrive tomorrow. How much is it a month? in $US?

While on the drug, should I cleanse with a mild cleanser like cetaphil? Should I use BP while on it?

What are peoples experiences of mixing moisturiser with jojoba oil while on tane?

Also, I a trying to gain weight at the moment, will roaccutane effect this?

Thanks for your help :angel:

i'm not sure about the cost in new zealand. mine is $5 a month (US) accutane shouldn't have any effect on your weight. so if you are trying to gain it won't be a problem. also, don't use BP while on accutane, there really is no need to anyway, the accutane will take care of your acne by itself. you should probably call your derm and find out what your dose is.

Hi Mate

I am a kiwi, it costs around $15 a month, that is if your dose is 80mg a day (4 x 20mg pills), just use a cleanser something like Cetaphil and also get a good moisturiser like Cetaphil or QV Lotion and thats about all you need. Don't use BP, just let Roaccutane work on its own.

Happy

Hi Mate

I am a kiwi, it costs around $15 a month, that is if your dose is 80mg a day (4 x 20mg pills), just use a cleanser something like Cetaphil and also get a good moisturiser like Cetaphil or QV Lotion and thats about all you need. Don't use BP, just let Roaccutane work on its own.

Happy

Hi Mate

Happy

I really wish people with insurance wouldn't put THEIR cost for accutane like it's normal. $5 and even $15 is NOT NORMAL!!!!!

If you are on a drug plan with full coverage, it should be around that each month ($5-20), if you don't..... it will be $100-300 per month in New Z.

I really feel bad for the people who (especially in the US) pay $800 per month for this drug and others come on here and say it's dirt cheap because of your drug plan....... everyone forgets that part.

Why bother saying how much it costs you when it could potenitally cost 100 times that for the person asking?

because people ask how much it costs us, seriously chill. you're always so angry in your posts.

I'm not angry, I'm trying to inform.......

he wasn't asking how much you pay personally, but how much it costs. It doesn't cost $5.

Most of my posts are quite happy, actually.

Thanks for the replies guys :cool:

My prescription was couried to me today, but upon reading it says

Erythromycin ES Tablets 400mg

1 tablet BD

2 months

Prednisone

20mg mane

2 weeks

Isotretion

40 mg mane

2 months

Does anyone know what this means? Do I have to take 3 tablets at the same time? I never actually went to see my derm. I saw him about 6 months ago and he game my doyxcycline or how ever u spell it. Didnt really work, but my acne wasnt as bad as it is now at that time.

Actually I got my mum to organise it for me, because I am currently living away from home. haha what are mums for eh?? :wub:

I had to get special approval just to be on tane, as I'm a pilot. I however aren't allowed to fly at night while on the tane :doubt:

Anyway crew, I'll prob start one of those log things once I start on friday...if i'm brave enough I'll post pics, but I'm paranoid that someone on here may know me might recognise me...haha :eh:

Ciao! :angel:

Thanks for the replies guys :cool:

My prescription was couried to me today, but upon reading it says

Erythromycin ES Tablets 400mg

1 tablet BD

2 months

Prednisone

20mg mane

2 weeks

Isotretion

40 mg mane

2 months

Does anyone know what this means? Do I have to take 3 tablets at the same time? I never actually went to see my derm. I saw him about 6 months ago and he game my doyxcycline or how ever u spell it. Didnt really work, but my acne wasnt as bad as it is now at that time.

Actually I got my mum to organise it for me, because I am currently living away from home. haha what are mums for eh?? :wub:

I had to get special approval just to be on tane, as I'm a pilot. I however aren't allowed to fly at night while on the tane :doubt:

Anyway crew, I'll prob start one of those log things once I start on friday...if i'm brave enough I'll post pics, but I'm paranoid that someone on here may know me might recognise me...haha :eh:

Ciao! :angel:

Your doctor wants you to take the antibiotic erythromycin for two months, then stop. This is fairly common- some doctors feel taking the antibiotic during the first part of your accutane will minimize the chance of "initial breakout". Erythromycin is OK to take with accutane. Other antibiotics (ones ending in "cycline" for example) are not OK. You should clarify the dosage - did it read one tablet BD or BID? Bid means twice per day - that is most common and would be morning and evening. Take with or without food, but food is often recommended to avoid upset.

The prednisone is a systemic (meaning whole-body) anti-inflamatory. It is given to reduce the inflamation associated with acne. It can often really knock down inflamatory acne such as cysts and large nodules. The only question I would have is: usually for prednisone taken for more than 7 days, it is "tapered" when discontinued - you take a little less each day for several days instead of quitting suddenly. But 20 mg a day is a small dose, perhaps tapering is not needed. YOu might ask about that. Doesn't need to be taken with food, but should be taken in morning since it can cause sleep problems if taken late in the day.

I don't know what "mane" means. Typical prednisone dosage is once per day, taken first thing in the morning.

The accutane dosage of 40 mg/day is kind of small, and you'd expect it to be longer than two months. I think he's starting you at the low dosage for two months, then will up it for the rest of the course. This could be totally related to the above two meds - the antibiotic + the prednisone + the low dose accutane all intended to minimize the initial break out. That would make sense.

Again, I don't understand "mane" Accutane is taken once per day or divided into two doses, one morning, one evening - both with some sort of food with fat in it. (important). If you're given 40 mg. pills you could take it once per day with a meal. If you're given 20 mg. pills, you'd take one with breakfast, one with dinner.

If it were me, assuming the antibiotic is BID (twice per day) and you have 40 mg. Accutane:

Morning breakfast: one erythromycin, one prednisone, one accutane

Dinner or evening snack: one erythromycin.

If you have 20 mg accutane, take one with breakfast, one with dinner.

Look on www.drugs.com for more info.