Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pimpleyboy

problems beginning the CSR

I started the CSR around a week and a half ago, and at first I was ecstatic about the results. I had no new pimples forming and my red marks seemed to be disappearing (maybe this was because of the proactiv toner i was using?). After a week and a half, my skin has become quite red and severely dry. I knew before I started the regimen I had sensitive skin and this may pose a problem. I kind of loaded by face with BP initially and I think that's what produced such good results, but now since I'm using only a little because of the severe flakiness, my skin is breaking out again.

I don't really know what to do. The flakiness/redness is terrible and using a low amount of BP doesn't seem to do anything. To get the desired results I have to put quite a bit on but that's just going to be really irritating to my skin.

I'm using cetaphil moisturizing cream (not the lotion) by the way

This just means you started too quickly by using too much BP. Even if it seems the small amount of BP isn't having much of an effect, it's really crucial to start with a tiny amount and work your way up, otherwise your skin will become irritated like you described. In your case, you might want to cease using BP for a couple of days and let it heal, even if it means risking new pimples. Once your skin is normal again you can start the CSR with a tiny amount of BP and hopefully your skin adjusts better.

You can also try cutting the BP down to half of what you're using and only once a day, if you don't want to stop using it altogether. This may be enough to let your skin recover without stopping the BP.

I too have very sensitive skin. When I started the regimen, I instantly cleared for the first week and then the second week, all my acne came back and I was flaming red, ouchey, and peeling. Applying moisturizer burned so badly I wanted to cry. I was starting to think that my acne wasn't all that bad... :) Then I read some posts on sensitive skin and decided to modify my approach.

Here's what I did that worked:

1) Week One - do nothing (no washing, no moisturizing, no makeup, no BP) while my skin recovered.

2) Weeks Two-Five - AM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser and Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, no BP. PM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser, Dan's BP, Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.

3) Weeks Six-Ten - AM & PM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser, Dan's BP, Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.

4) Weeks Eleven-Fourteen - AM & PM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser, Dan's BP, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

5) Weeks Fiften onward - AM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser and Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, no BP. PM: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Cleanser, Dan's BP, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

Cetaphil's Cream was great for the first couple of months, but after that it was way too heavy for me and my skin cleared up more when I switched to the Lotion.

You should also get rid of the toner in your regimen. The combination with the over-BPing too quickly is probably causing your problems. Cut down on your BP and ramp it up more slowly next time.

And check out the Biggest Mistakes page to see if anything else rings a bell.

Good luck!

Cam >B)

I started the CSR around a week and a half ago, and at first I was ecstatic about the results. I had no new pimples forming and my red marks seemed to be disappearing (maybe this was because of the proactiv toner i was using?). After a week and a half, my skin has become quite red and severely dry. I knew before I started the regimen I had sensitive skin and this may pose a problem. I kind of loaded by face with BP initially and I think that's what produced such good results, but now since I'm using only a little because of the severe flakiness, my skin is breaking out again.

I don't really know what to do. The flakiness/redness is terrible and using a low amount of BP doesn't seem to do anything. To get the desired results I have to put quite a bit on but that's just going to be really irritating to my skin.

I'm using cetaphil moisturizing cream (not the lotion) by the way