Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spott

Best shampoo that won't cause breakouts?

I would like to know which shampoo everyone thinks is the best for people with acne. Keep in mind that this is not about washing your face with shampoo. I was using Head and Shoulders every day which was good, but I began to feel like my hair was getting shocked with chemicals. So I use plain old V05 right now. I noticed that I would breakout more often when I used $13 Redken shampoo's and conditioners. Any input?

A few seconds of contact is not going to make much difference unless you wash your hair with lard.

Try Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It's probably as mild as you can get.

Oh crap...i've been using Redken for a month and a bit and i've been breaking out like crazy.

Maybe the contact of my hair on my face isn't helping...is it possible the residue of the shampoo and conditioner is breaking my skin out? :o

I suppose it shouldn't make much difference...unless the shampoo is very irritating. I'm a guy, so I don't have long hair, but I was told that you should sure to rinse out any conditioner as well as possible. I tried to use Johnsons Baby Shampoo for a while but it just doesn't lather enough to get my hair clean.

I'm using Sunsilk and am not liking it anymore so I'm switching to Johnson's baby shampoo because it's really mild.

i use tre` semme. i dont breakout around my hairline, so it seems it might be o.k.

A few seconds of contact is not going to make much difference unless you wash your hair with lard.

Try Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It's probably as mild as you can get.

I guess I could call myself the shampoo king. My shower has literally dozens of them occupying the shelf space...*Sigh*..I enjoy using Neutrogena's Anti-Residue shampoo once a week. That really gets all the oil and build up in your hair out. Some of you might enjoy using the baby shampoo..but if you are a woman and you have lots of long hair, I would advise against it because it really didn't lather enough even for my short hair.

I would like to know which shampoo everyone thinks is the best for people with acne. Keep in mind that this is not about washing your face with shampoo. I was using Head and Shoulders every day which was good, but I began to feel like my hair was getting shocked with chemicals. So I use plain old V05 right now. I noticed that I would breakout more often when I used $13 Redken shampoo's and conditioners. Any input?

I don't like all the harsh chemicals in most shampoos so I started using burtsbees. 98% natural and it works great.

- pH balanced

- SLS free

- paraben free

IPB Image

I don't like all the harsh chemicals in most shampoos so I started using burtsbees. 98% natural and it works great.

- pH balanced

- SLS free

- paraben free

IPB Image

I don't like all the harsh chemicals in most shampoos

me too! im not sure this brand sells in australia? geez if they did, i would sooo buy this product. never knew there was a shampoo at least 98% natural. WOAH :shock:

Shampoo definitely can cause acne. You'll find that the more you shampoo, even if you are super careful not to get it on your face,the worse your face will be.... more breakouts. Same with toothpaste. That's because they both have SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE which is known to cause acne and cold sores (acne inside the mouth).

I don't have a favorite but any soap without SLS is fine. I use Dr. Wood's Castille SOap (peppermint and almonds scents are nice) I just mix it with a teaspoon or so of jojoba oil or olive oil so it doesn't dry out my hair. Aubrey organics SLS free shampoo is also good. SOmetimes I use a bar soap but not too often. Recently I found a site called No 'Poo that promotes going without shampoo. Burt's Bees SLS sounds good too.

i used the Burts shampoo and it sucked. How come we have to watch everything and still our skin ...............Today my chin is red with some

zits and I've been perfect.

I don't use shampoo, I just use conditioner. I use conditioner like shampoo, though. Lemme explain:

First of all, I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner (it is a nice conditioner from the HFS, I buy it in bulk) but you can use any conditioner you please. Make sure to use one that is not too heavy-- conditioners labeled "for everyday use" are best. I wet my hair and the squeeze out most of the water. I use a good sized handful-- aka A LOT-- of conditioner (my hair is long and thick) and then I work it through concentrating on the dirtiest parts (including scalp). I give my head a nice massage making sure to work it in a circular motion almost as if I am getting a good lather, which I'm not. This isn't shampoo. Then I squeeze my hair and move the conditioner down the shaft to the ends of my hair. This is the brittlest part of one's hair, so tread lightly. I make sure the ends are saturated too, then I pile my hair on my head and finish the rest of my shower. I rinse last, making sure to get everything out, and finishing with much very cold water. I only "wash" about once a week and every once in awhile I finish with a ACV rinse to get rid of any buildup. I have nice shiny healthy hair and though I have acne, I usually don't get any at the hairline so I feel confident recommending this process to anyone. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

I cannot really go without shampooing. Using a bar soap on your hair is pretty much an invitation for disaster in my mind. I used to use a SLS free shampoo from Trader Joes which was lavender scented. It was a really good shampoo but I prefer a more masculine scent, so I don't use it anymore. Paul Mitchell makes a TTO shampoo which is expensive but it comes in a 16oz. bottle which is useful. Thanks for all the replies! :D

head & shoulders classic clean/clean & balanced. it also helped my forehead pimples to heal, and prevented them as well. prob is ur gonna have to use conditioner as well sometimes.

My father is now 77 years old and he still has most of his hair and it is still BLACK and he used nothing but a bar of ivory soap to wash his hair all his life.

My father is now 77 years old and he still has most of his hair and it is still BLACK and he used nothing but a bar of ivory soap to wash his hair all his life.

YOU know thats true!!!! My dads 60 but he looks 45. seriously. My dad has all his hair, though its sorta grey, but if he dyes he will look even younger!! and my dad only used like cheap soap or something. I was using soap for a awhile but it left my hair yucky. LESS is MORE.

The thing about the new cosmetics of today is that no one knows if they will ever be better in the long run yet. If you washed your hair with a modern shampoo all the time would your hair still be perfect at 70? Or would it be short and white like most old ladies you see. Do you notice that as each generation gets older, they look younger and younger.

I'm using Sunsilk and am not liking it anymore so I'm switching to Johnson's baby shampoo because it's really mild.

why don't you like sunsilk anymore? I use anti-poof so far I like it fine. I wanna try the hydrating one next. Which one did you use?

OMG I've been using Redken products because they are awesome for my hair, but make me break out like crazy

ugh F redken, that shit broke me out and took me forever to figure out the source. Finally I figured out the fact that I needed a different shampoo and Burts Bees is now my new <3. No more stupid breakouts either :dance:

SunSilk is awful!

I have tried every single one. I have naturally curly hair but I think they would work fine if you had naturally straight hair. They tend to not be as hydrating and will cause curls to tangle.

I really want to try the Burts Bee's but I cannot find that stuff ANYWHERE

Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo is sooo stripping for my hair - it makes my head break out! But it cleans my hair really well (plus I have a bottle at home and don't want to waste it...)

Head & Shoulders leaves my normally soft and straight hair full of static and for some reason gives me an unhealthy tingling sensation all over my head. The heavy scent really irritates my skin, I think.

Right now I am using Selsun Blue shampoo most days - but it has a smell some people don't like, but I do. It doesn't break me out as much as other shampoos. I also use Avalon Organics Peppermint Revitalizing Conditioner, but find it doesn't work as well as their Tea Tree Scalp Treatment Conditioner:

http://avalonorganics.com/?id=89&pid=41

For some reason, the store I was buying this from decided to stop selling the Tea Tree stuff, so I'm stuck with the Peppermint one.