Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul614

UK ACCUTANE QUESTION

I've recently been referred by my GP to see a dermatologist about the possibility of starting a second course of Accutane.

Iv'e been told the average waiting time is 18 weeks. Was wondring if anyone has paid to see a Derm in England and how much it cost for the Derm, accutane, blood tests etc.

Any comments are much appreciated!

Guest Crooked I

Just out of curiosity, did your GP give you a reason as to why the waiting list is so long?

I was originally refered last Dec when my GP told me the waiting list would be 4 months but the week after the referral I got a letter from the hospital asking me to ring and make an appointment and I got to see a Derm within three weeks.

Likewise this time he told me 18 weeks and again I got a letter from the hospital a week later but this one said we will contact you in 16 weeks to make an appointment!!

Im taking it you havent got a derm at your local doctors then and i'm just a luckly *beep*. :-s

Wont take that for granted now youve opened my eyes!!!

Depending on what part of uk your from paul ive a few phone numbers for round my area so if you get back to me on that one i might be able to help you out mate smile.gif

Hi Rach

No there is no Derm on site at the Doctors Iv'e never heard of that before either so hey I guess ya are lucky!!

I live in Manchester

Thanks

I waited 6 months to see my derm. It should have been longer but It got so bad I want to the Docs crying and she somehow got me moved up the list. It didn't cost me anything, it was all on the NHS but my sister went private and it cost her a couple of hundred quid I think (not including the consultation) and she was only on a low dosage.

nessa x

Hiya paul

Affraid ive only a couple local numbers for round by me "outside of birmingham".

But i did get those from searching the web again and again so only pointer ive really got sad.gif

sorry hun.

Nessa is right thou... Play on it... even thou im sure if you did open up about how shit you feel about it it would prob be lil truthful

But theres alot of acne suffers these days and if you dont push they'll never happen! - just one of many aint we

So my advice... get your gob into gear.

Rach x

Upon refferal to hospital you will be put on a 5-6 months waiting list because it is ACNE.

nearing the 6 months you will get your appointment to see a dermatologist.

Consultation is free on NHS however the medicines unless your on some kind of benefit or exempt from paying prescription charges you will have to pay for your medicines and it will cost you.

THAT IS LIFE.

ps. dermatologists try to fend u off but if u do ur own research n tell em u wanna try out this medicine etc.. then u will progress otherwise u will just be another patient on that day

ive been on roaccutane three times before. whilst once it starts working, your skin really does look great, it had horrible side effects: depression, mood swings, v v dry skin, vvv sore lips, and your skin will get worse for two to three wks before it gets better. if you have had acne for a long time, it will probably come back a couple of months after you stop using accutane. use dans regimen, it works, it really does. i stopped the regime and within a few weeks my skin was terrible but know ive been on the regime for nearly two weeks and im almost completely clear. if you wanna know which products to use for the regime (well my recommendations) reply to this post or give us a private message and ill give you all my wisdom and advice!!!!

alex xxx

i had to wait about a week to see some stupid nurse who took close-up pictures of my skin and asked me loads of questions about it. Then i had to wait another 6 weeks to actually see the derm. i tried a few things with her and then she offered RoAccutane I said no simply because there was a warning about using it if people in your family had diabetes (my sis does) and theres all these other warnings not to mention the fact that I already have wild mood swings from happy to depressed etc, and it didn't seem worth the risk.

i had to wait about a week to see some stupid nurse who took close-up pictures of my skin and asked me loads of questions about it. Then i had to wait another 6 weeks to actually see the derm. i tried a few things with her and then she offered RoAccutane I said no simply because there was a warning about using it if people in your family had diabetes (my sis does) and theres all these other warnings not to mention the fact that I already have wild mood swings from happy to depressed etc, and it didn't seem worth the risk.

I got my GP to refer me to a dermatologist privately because the waiting lists were so long. I got an appointment for a consultation really quickly and at this stage had no idea what I would be prescribed or how much it would cost. The consultation took 5 mins, and he put me on some antibiotic and said if it doesnt work in a month then its roaccutane. That 5 mins cost me £100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so you can imagine my relief when he said he would transfer me to him on the NHS and gave me an appointment for a months time.

I went to the NHS hospital and he said the antibiotics were not working so it was roaccutane. Got all the usual stuff done and given my prescription for the whole four months. I didnt pay a penny for the prescription which was fantastic, NHS isnt so bad after all!! Anyway I definately say it was worth the £100 or I would probably still be on a waiting list. I was on a waiting list for two years with the NHS for surgery on my leg, I couldnt wait that long for acne treatment.

I've recently been referred by my GP to see a dermatologist about the possibility of starting a second course of Accutane.