Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flowerburn

Beginning Accutane questions..

Alright so I'll be able to start my first course of accutane in three weeks and I'm getting excited and worried at the same time. My acne has never been this bad before and I know the initial breakout is going to cause hell for me. My acne is caused by hormones.. because a year ago i switched birth control pills and was left with acne that just worsened with time.

So here's are some questions that hopefully can help put my mind at ease...

1. I have very dry skin on tropicals.. It flakes off while on BP gel and jojoba oil. I tried retin-a micro once to have my skin peel off in sheets. What is the ultimate moisturizing facial lotion on the market.

2. To the women on accutane: do you wear makeup during your course or is it next to impossible?

3. I know I should avoid anything that irritates my skin... can I still use my facial brush/scrub to remove the dead skin?

4. Is it really going to be that unbearably bad?

1. i just use cetaphil. the flakyness with accutane isn't as bad as with retin a or BP. you can use a heavier cream like cetaphil instead of the lotion.

2.i'm a guy and don't wear makeup, but i don't see why i couldn't if i wanted to.

3.i use just a damp wash cloth to gently remove dead skin. don't use a brush or a scrub

4. No, it isn't bad at all actually.

Alright so I'll be able to start my first course of accutane in three weeks and I'm getting excited and worried at the same time. My acne has never been this bad before and I know the initial breakout is going to cause hell for me. My acne is caused by hormones.. because a year ago i switched birth control pills and was left with acne that just worsened with time.

1. I have very dry skin on tropicals.. It flakes off while on BP gel and jojoba oil. I tried retin-a micro once to have my skin peel off in sheets. What is the ultimate moisturizing facial lotion on the market.

I used aloe vera gel together with 4 drops of jojoba oil. You could also try emu oil which is supposed to be more moisturising and also non-comedogenic. I found this sufficient for dealing with my dry skin without using expensive products which could potentially aggravate your skin.

2. To the women on accutane: do you wear makeup during your course or is it next to impossible?

yes. No reason not too.

3. I know I should avoid anything that irritates my skin... can I still use my facial brush/scrub to remove the dead skin?

I don't think its recommended. You will probably find that your skin feels fragile and you don't want to use anything to aggravate it. Thats the way I felt but I would occassionally (like once every 3 - 4 weeks) gently use a scrub just to lift the dull skin if I felt my skin could handle it.

No doubt some people suffer horribly on accutane, but for most people the side effects are mild and temporary. That was certainly the case for me. I don't regret going on accutane at all, wish I had done it sooner and wouldn't hesitate to go back on it if the need arose. Good luck

1. I have super dry skin too. Now that I'm on accutane, I stopped using Benzaclin (no need to).

My skin is not nearly as dry now as it was with Benzaclin. I use Neutrogena SPF 15, twice in the am, and once before bed. Works great, and my skin doesn't feel or look dry at all anymore.

2. I wear makeup daily. I need to apply moisturizer twice before putting it on, but once it is on, I'm good. (many women have found that mineral make-up works best. There are several brands, and different ones work better for different people. I prefer Physicians Formula)

3. I wash my face with Clean & Clear in the pm to remove make-up, and Cetaphil in the am. I haven't found a need to use anything other than my hands. I think I would find anything else too irritating.

4. No, it is not.

I am not experiencing any dry skin right now. My lips are not chapped. (in 4th month)

I do have some muscle/joint aches, but it is not a big deal. I notice my hair falling out a bit more than normal; but again, no one besides me notices, and it is not a big deal.

I am actually loving some of the 'side effects' (or direct purposes of accutane):

- My skin has never been oily, but my hair has always been super greasy. It would look horrible 12 hours after being washed. Now, I can go a couple days without washing my hair and it still looks great.

- I have always had horrible super dry, scaly skin on my elbows. No amount of any cream or lotion would help. Accutane has actually made my dry skin *go away*. I love it.

- Clear skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone reacts differently, so stock up on:

- a good moisturizer (everyone likes a different one - suggestions include Purpose and Cetaphil)

- a good lip balm (again, everyone likes a different one, I prefer Avon's dew drop, it works well and provides hint of color)

- a general lotion (such as Nivea or Aveeno)

- a 'thick' cream such as Eucerin or Aquaphor

Remember to take care of yourself, and heed warnings (don't drink excessively, etc).

Best wishes for a successful course!

~Becca

Thanks, Becca. That puts my mind at ease a bit, I'm just hoping my skin doesn't flake of in sheets like it can on harsh topicals. I do currently use mineral makeup, which I currently cake on to cover my acne. I know it doesn't fair well on dry skin, which makes me worry.

Hopefully my accutane course goes as smoothly as yours, thanks again for the advice.

regarding the initial break out you may not actually have a full blown experience. I have may got one or two more pimples, im not saying this doesnt happen but not always it ends up worse.

hope that helps

Flowerburn, when are you starting?

I am hopefully starting in 2 weeks if i get the ipledge okay after my bloodtest. Maybe we can be Tane buddies. :)

I am hopefully starting in 2 weeks if i get the ipledge okay after my bloodtest. Maybe we can be Tane buddies. :)

Coolness, I'm starting next week! I'm so excited.

regarding the initial break out you may not actually have a full blown experience. I have may got one or two more pimples, im not saying this doesnt happen but not always it ends up worse.

hope that helps

I know I won't be that lucky, but I sure hope so.

Hopefully in about 3 weeks, they still have some more tests to do.. that IPLEDGE system is something else.

1. Cetaphil is super. No drying AT ALL! Tazorac made me peel off in sheets, too. Kinda cool unless I had to go out in public.

2. I wear a light powder foundation by MAC called Studio FX. I apply it with a Kabuki brush. I use a mineral makeup concealer that I got as a sample. Can't recall the company.

3. I occasionally use a wash cloth and MD Forte III Cleanser in the shower (only when I'm going out and want perfect skin because the glycolic acid in the cleanser is rather harsh). After most showers I lightly brush off the flakes with the towel.

4. I am hardly flaking, I am not red and have very few other side effects (you can read my log if you want).

good luck and it's gonna be great!

[1. Cetaphil is super. No drying AT ALL! Tazorac made me peel off in sheets, too. Kinda cool unless I had to go out in public.

2. I wear a light powder foundation by MAC called Studio FX. I apply it with a Kabuki brush. I use a mineral makeup concealer that I got as a sample. Can't recall the company.

3. I occasionally use a wash cloth and MD Forte III Cleanser in the shower (only when I'm going out and want perfect skin because the glycolic acid in the cleanser is rather harsh). After most showers I lightly brush off the flakes with the towel.

4. I am hardly flaking, I am not red and have very few other side effects (you can read my log if you want).

good luck and it's gonna be great!

I'm going to get that super heavy Cetaphil lotion, maybe that'll do the trick. I'm so excited about accutane, it's all I think about. Once I have clear skin I'm going to go buy some new cloths, get my hair done, leav the house without face makeup....