Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm taking only 20mgs a day too... I thought it was such a small dose too, also because I'm not a thin girl, and so for my weight I thought it was so little (also seeing people on 60-80mgs!!!). This is my second course, and the first I had was on 20mgs for the first month and then 30, then back at 20, and it completely cleared my skin up... Also my course was only made up of 3-4 months, and it worked, so don't worry, it will work :)

Hi, I'm taking only 20mgs a day too... I thought it was such a small dose too, also because I'm not a thin girl, and so for my weight I thought it was so little (also seeing people on 60-80mgs!!!). This is my second course, and the first I had was on 20mgs for the first month and then 30, then back at 20, and it completely cleared my skin up... Also my course was only made up of 3-4 months, and it worked, so don't worry, it will work :)

Did you clear up after 3-4 months on the low dose?

Yep! I started seeing the biggest improvements on the beginning of the 3rd months, and when I finished my course (after almost a month) I would still get a pimple every 2-3 days, but my derm told me that it was normal and I would clear completely in the next 2 months, and so it was!! In the following 2 months I cleared up completely and didn't get a single pimple for months... then in August it began coming back but much lighter than before, and it looked much better anyway because all my red marks had faded completely and so if I got a pimple it was just one and didn't get much of anything...not too red, not too infamed... The first ones I would get after the course would be tiny tiny and they usually dried in a day...

I only take 20 mg of Accutane per day, does it make any difference?

I mean it´s such a small dose and I�m a about 150 pounds.

That dose is small - the general smallest dose for "normal" treatment is .5 mg/kg/day, which for you would be 30 - 40 mg/day.

I think the daily dose is only important whether it clears you up or not. If the 20/day cleared you up, all is good. If it's not, you might ask for a larger dose. Normal dosage is generally 0.5 - 1.0 mg/kg/day

For long term effect - cure or long term remission - cumulative dosage is the important part. I would really push the doctor to keep you on it until you at least get to 125 mg/kg cumulative which is the recommended target. For you that would be around 8,500 mg. At 20 mg / day it would be 14 months. A larger daily dosage would reduce this time.

It could be that your doctor is looking at more or less long term low dose. this often starts at something like what you're on, then it's reduced down to as little as 10 mg 2-3 times per week, but it's indefinite as opposed to the target dose mentioned above.