Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InYourPocket87

Mick's Accutane Log

Day 1: Hello all. I'm Mick and this is my Accutane journal. I'm 15 years old and 140 pounds. My acne is quite mild but nothing else worked and my derm. feared scarring...so now I'm a Tanehead. One 40mg pill twice a day with meals. I just took my 2nd pill of the day. No side effects yet of course. I took a picture of my face now so I have something to compare it to when the cycle is all said and done. Right now I have about 20-25 zits on my face in all. Nothing cystic or anything...just regular old zits.

I'm washing my face with the Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar, I'm using Vaseline Brand Lip Therapy on my lips. I'm also using Neutrogena Daily Defense Moisturizer SPF 30 to moisturize my face.

If anyone has any other possible suggestions of some things i should do before the drug really kicks in, feel free to chime in. I'll be updating daily hopefully, but definitely at least 5 times a week. Catch y'all later.

'Tanehead' - lol.

Good luck with the accutane.. I'm on day 5 on 60mg a day. The only sideffect i've had so far is feeling quite hyper all yesterday(?!). I didn't have much caffiene or sugar or anything so it was quite weird.

I'm doing the same thing as you, just using soap and moisturising. I think anther thing i've read a bit about is Aloe Vera gel. It helps to remove red marks or something, but i've not tried it yet. You might want to try that.

Day 3: Not much change that I can notice. A few new pimples have broken out while the ones I used ot have are dying down. Where my skin is clear it looks smoother than before. Probably because that damn Retin-A and Benzaclin isn't murdering it. I think my lips would be chap if it wasn't for all the vaseline and bag balm I use. I've had some painful headaches since starting the drug. I suppose my body is still getting used to it. I will report back tomorrow.

Day 4: Not much improvement, if any. Zits on the right side of my face have subsided into little red dots...I hate those things. I have about 5-7 zits on the left side of my face. All big and becoming whiteheads. I have a nice big painful one of my chin...and a bunch of my forehead that aren't inflamed but still gross. My skin is oily as ever these past few days. The headaches are gone and all is well. Lips aren't chapped yet but will be in a few weeks I think. Will update tomorrow.

Day 5: Lots of new flare-ups on left side of my face and forehead. No change on right side of my face. No side effects are being experienced althought my back is sore from time to time during the day. When the hell does this drug start WORKING!? I must be patient...will post back tomorrow.

you are on day 5 and wanna see improvementes??

and i thought that i was impatient... =D

man, the 1st month you wont see anything, or maybe you will se something, like your skin getting worse(initial breakout) =). this is what happens in the 1st month of treatment, some peoples, like a friend of mine, just see improvements after 2nd, 3rd month... ths is the problem of accutane... it takes too long to take effect, but when it starts, its wonderful.

im on the 2nd course of accutane, started on oct 30th. i havent seen anything much different til now, except for some breakout, but nothing much bad... i had severe acne before my 1st cycle, now i have mild-moderate...i hope i dont have a bad initial breakout, maybe not cos its my 2nd course, i had my 1st finished on december-jan...

bye man, good luck!

I know it takes awhile to start working. But when it comes to acne, I think we're all a little impatient. Here's the update.

Day 6: Sheesh, lots of new zits on forehead and sideburn area. I have some real small ones sprouting up along my jawline. My lips are feeling drier today but nothing a little vaseline can't handle. My lower back is really sore the last 2 days. I don't know what it's from, I've never had back pain ever before so maybe it's the drug's side effects kicking in early. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse. I don't care what the side effects are though. As long as in the end my acne is multiple times better...then I'll be happy. I'm gonna stick through this for the next 4-5 months and I'm confident it will all work out in the end. Let's hope it does. [-o<

Day 8: I've been on Accutane for a whole week now. Do I notice any changes? Nope, not really. My face is pretty oily after about 7-8 hours from washing it. My lips are starting to feel really dry if I don't put chapstick on. Not to the point of cracking but they're getting there. Old zits I mentioned have healed up pretty quick but as soon as 1 zit heals another one appears. It's a vicious never-ending cycle. This log is probably pretty boring but eh...what can ya do a week into the drug? I'm not just doing this for people skeptical about taking Accutane, I'm mainly doing it for myself so one day I can look back on all this. I'm sure it will start working full-force in 1-2 more weeks though. I'm patient...I'm confident. Tomorrow is my 16th birthday! Hoorah! Will update tomorrow!

Day 12: Lots of new breakouts on my forehead and left side of my face. The right side is mainly staying clear however, and my chin will have a few zits from time to time. I am feeling small bumps and a few zits on my upper back. I've NEVER had these before. Is this normal? My lips aren't feeling real dry at all. I'm putting on decent amounts of chapstick and vaseline. But are these breakouts part of my initial breakout? I hope so, I don't want it getting worse. Well, I'll update again in a day or so. The war against acne seems to be at a stalemate... ](*,)

yea man that first breakout sucks, fortunately i was on a church trip building houses in virginia and we were all dirty and there were no mirrors at the busted ass school we were sleeping in. so i didn't know how bad it was til i got the pictures back. but its cool yo, 4 months later i'm completely clear with a few red marks.

2 Weeks: Well...here I am. On Accutane for two weeks and a day now. Improvement? None really. I have alot more breakouts than before but they seem to heal quicker. But as soon as some heal and I'm good for a day or so, I break out again. I have a few sprouting up on my mustache-area too. I hate those the worst...I hope they dont turn into big whiteheads. I have a good amount on my forehead that's all drying out and peeling off. One right on the end of my chin growing...bah. The biggest problem for me right now is my nose.

There are SO many blackheads on my nose. More than I've ever had and they seem larger than before. Bioré nose strips won't even get rid of them, which used to get rid of them pre-Accutane. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about the many blackheads on my nose? Thanks in advace.

Acne. Must. Die.

Day 17: Well, this is rather frustrating. I believe I had my initial breakout about a week ago. I had about 5 zits break out on both cheeks, and lots on the forehead. The ones that were on my cheeks are long gone but I still have whitehead randomly placed in different areas of my face. It seems to move around. I have 3 little ones that I can just feel are gonna get real big on my upper lip right under my nose. My lips aren't feeling as dry as they did. I use lots of vaseline and chapstick for them though. I'm not experiencing any real side effects right now. My eyes don't feel dry anymore as I've been using artificial tears for them. My nose is still a blackheaded mess.

Things are pretty normal I guess. I really want to see some damn improvements and fast. And lately I've been really afraid of the depression side effect. All of my friends know me as a happy and funny guy and I don't want that to dissappear because of stupid Accutane. I'm just trying to be the happiest and most fun-loving as I can be. I'm drinking lots of water as always. I'll update tomorrow or the weekend.

The war on Acne...RAGES ON!

Week 7: Day 54:

Wow...it's been awhile since I updated this thing. I guess I got a little bit lazy. Well, there's been a few things going on this past month. Around Nov. 24/25 I got a really bad breakout. Thank God it was right before Thanksgiving break. Within a week all of the big zits that broke out were down to manageable red spots though. My skin isn't feeling dry at all. It's definitely alot less oily and greasy than it used to be. I used to get real oily about 8 hours after washing my face but not anymore.

So now, about a month after the worst breakout I've had on Accutane, I had another breakout! Not as bad as the one before, but it was another breakout. The weird thing is, only 2-3 days later the zits are practically healed now! So I'm definitely noticing my acne is healing much faster than before.

Those blackheads that used to be all over my nose are totally gone too. So that's cool!

My lips are still moderately dry. They haven't gotten worse or anything, I just keep putting on chapstick and Bag Balm vaseline religiously to keep them from getting bad. I'm surprised they haven't got cracked and dry too, being winter and all. My nose though, that's another story. It's very dry inside there, but the vaseline I put in at night seems to keep it from getting worse. I have a sinus infection too so that's making things all the WORSE.

New side effects I've been having aren't so good. I've been experiencing the tiredness/depression side effect the last few days. My sleepiness seems to be getting better each day and that seems to be helping the depression. I'm just really afraid of it getting worse because I'm well-known as a happy and fun-loving guy. I don't want that to change! I'm hoping it's just part of me being sick though.

So that's the last month in a nutshell. My skin seems to be getting a little better, or so my girlfriend tells me. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the tiredness/depression side effect. Hopefully it's just coinciding with my sinus infection but we'll see. If it gets any worse or doesn't go away I'm going to tell my derm. I'm getting my blood drawn Monday morning and go see the Derm on Tuesday afternoon. I promise to update after seeing him.

The war on acne is a long fought battle. I mustn't give up.

hey dude, ur doing well ..don't give up. Ive never been on accutane or anything. But maybe if you got a humidifyer in ur room ur nose and stuff would not be so dry. just a suggestion ..well keeep us posted! byebye and good luck.

<3 Me biggrin.gif/

Week 8 : Day 57

Well I just got back from the derm. I was prescribed another 80mg a day for the next month. All he did was look at my face, ask if any of my pimples were tender. To which I replied, "Not as much as they used to be, so only a little." Then he said that from here on out I will see improvement and to hang in there.

Anywho, not much is happening face-wise since the last update. It's not drying out because of this really good moisturizer I'm using. My lips are moderately dry but not noticeable to anyone. My eyes are still irritated and watery. The drops I've been taking aren't seeming to work. Does anyone know what else I could do about this? My sleepiness/depression is pretty much gone. I don't what happened to me those few days I had it last week. Anyways, I'll update again in a week or so. I really wish I could take some pics...I'll see what I can do.

BTW, the moisturizer I'm using I highly recommend it. ALthought, I doubt anyone here could get a hold of it. It's part of my dermatologist's own line of skin care products so Idk how you would get it. It is called "Ultra-Lite Moisture Dew" It has aloe vera, glycerine, squalene, and dimethicone. It comes in a 2 oz. jar for only $10 and it works really really well.

Until next time. wink.gif

I just ordered a jar of that moisterizer you recommmended. I can't wait to use it. I also finished my second month on accutane and I am experiencing the same side effects as you're experiencing. Anyways, I wish you good luck on your treatment.

Week 13 : Day 92

Jeeeez I haven't updated in a while. There's alot I need to fill everyone in on, if anyone cares lol. My acne was getting really better for awhile as of a week or two ago. It was getting almost near perfect skin, I only had some red dots where zits used to be and I was clearing up good...then I broke out again. It's not a bad breakout but it foiled my hopes for good clean skin.

I went to see my derm. this past Thursday (the 29th of Jan.) and he had some good news and some bad news. He told me that it's obvious my pores are shrinking and my skin does look better, which is the good news. The bad news was that he could tell I was still breaking out and doesn't want me to go through the treatment a second time. So he took my daily dosage of 80 mg(two 40mg pills a day) to 120mg (three 40mg/day). I, at first, thought this would be crazy suicide to my face, but I'm gonna go with it. My face isn't even that dry anyway, my lips are easily controlled with chapstick, I've experienced a little sleepiness/depression though. Hopefully this will be my last month on the drug though and all will go back to normal after. I'll keep updating if my side effects worsen.

Acne. Must. Die.

Day 124 : Week 17

Hello everyone! What's going on? Not much here...I've been seeing LOTS of improvements lately! The left side of my face is absolutely ZITLESS. Can you believe it? Not too long ago I had huge and horribly painful zits on it, and they're gone! the right side of my face has a few very small zits but I'm sure they will subside in a few days! My forehead has some red marks from old zits, much like the left side of my face. All in all I have to say I am really pleased with what Accutane has done for me. The drug amkes me horribly grumpy and sometimes depressed but that's ok because I'm SO close to being done with this shit that I can taste it.

I go back to my derm. March 26th, and will have my last bloodtest the day before! He says that on that date, we will determine a definitive stop date for me. I'm so excited!! After I'm done everything will go back to normal! I've linked my grumpiness to the pill because there were 2 occasions I forgot to take my third pill of the day and I was significantly happier and nicer the next day. Everything is going to work out for me, and to all that are thinking about taking the drug, like Nike...JUST DO IT!

I'll update eventually. Thanks for being there everyone. biggrin.gif

Day 159 : Week 22

Hello there everybody reading out there. Well, my face is smoother than it's ever been in the last 8 months, although there are a few blackheads peaking here and there. I still have red marks from old acne that's went away too. Those will fade in time though!

I'm still taking one 40 mg pill 3x a day with meals. I have a good bit of dryness, decreased nightvision, irritability, and of course that damn depression thing slips in now and then. Sometimes more often than not. doubt.gif

I really hope the side effects subside once I am done with the medication though. My last day of taking pills is April 20th. The first day in my rejuvenated non-Accutane life is April 21st! I can't believe the time passed by this fast. I remember exactly what went down and how I felt even when I first slipped that little golden pill into my mouth all those months ago. I remember the feeling of anxiousness, happiness, and fear inside of me all at once. Since then I've battled many emotional battles because of this shit. I've suffered a few crying spells. I would literally be sitting there crying for no reason! I just didn't understand it. I was sort of alienating myself from the people who care about me, my girlfriend most of all. sad.gif Thank God she is doing her best to understand what I am going through. I love her so much for that.

I can easily say the last 4-5 months of my life have been the hardest I've ever had to go through. Mostly because of Accutane and the way it made me feel and act towards people. Once a fun-loving happy lad, now a cynical piece of crap. Sheesh.

If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing. I would say, "Mick, trust me, don't go near this stuff. Yeah...your face is gonna look better, but the emotional stress and punishment you are going to have to endure isn't worth it. Later dawg" Haha...

For real though, I wouldn't do this shit again EVER. If I could change everything that's happened because of it with the push of a button, damn skippy that button would be pushed. Maybe once the side effects wear away I might think differently...but for now that is what I think. It's late so I am getting out of here. I'll update again soon, promise! My next derm. appt. is May 13th I think. I'll update probably a few days or so after I get off the medication.

Sooo close to being OVER!

Day 179 : Week 26

That's it. It's all over. It's all fucking over. 5 months of dry skin, lips, and nose...not to mention unusually watery eyes...don't forget the trouble sleeping, depression, bloody snot, increased irritability, decreased nightvision...IT'S ALL OVER. THANK YOU GOD.

I have a feeling the coming weeks will be some of the best in a LOOOOOOONG time.