Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggie_in_NC

ice for blackheads?

I just started using ice (3-4 minutes after cleansing) where I've had breakouts - so only on the cheek areas right next to my chin. I was wondering if using ice would help for the blackheads on my nose. I first got the ice idea by reading a thread on one of these message boards - one person quoted Dr. Fulton (co-developer of Retin-A and topical benzoyl peroxide),

Ice Instructions

Recently, ice has been advocated more and more to reduce tissue inflammation. Whereas heat and hot compresses were used previously, many physicians have switched to ice. Cold ice compress were even being used for conditions such as chronic low back pain. It also works great for acne cysts and papules.

Wash face with benzoyl peroxide cleanser, then:

Take a cube of ice in each hand and rub on affected areas. It may help to hold the ice in a paper napkin so the fingers will not suffer.

Rub the ice onto the inflamed areas for 3-5 minutes, or until the ice is completely melted.

Blot dry, then apply your skin care products.

The irritation from the ice reduces the inflammation and also increases the penetration of skin care products through the skin. This will produce more peeling and, thus, more rapid clearing.

It is beneficial to use ice in a Styrofoam cup. Fill two cups with water and freeze. Use both for compressing for 3-5 minutes, twice daily. These can be used over and over again, by peeling away the cup as the ice melts (see graphic below). Once done, put cup back in freeze and repeat process later in the evening.

Ice does help with inflammation ... red, swollen, sore pimples ... but I doubt it would have any effect at all on blackheads, because blackheads are not inflamed. They are just badly clogged pores.

Thanks Lionqueen, I suppose you're right. You read so many posts and it's hard to know what's right from wrong and I thought I saw that using the ice method 'brought stuff to the surface' but i guess that doesnt apply to blackheads. Guess I'll go back to perusing the blackhead forums. :pray:

why not give it a try and see what happens. I could see maybe ice could shrink pores because doesn't cold cause things to shrink. Would this apply to skin tissue too?