Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asystole

This is why you don't go looking stuff up on the internet

Signs and symptoms

The signs and symptoms of body dysmorphic disorder include:

* Frequently comparing the flaw in appearance with that of others I do that.

* Repeatedly checking the appearance of the specific body part in mirrors or other reflective surfaces Yep. Friends constantly mention i can't pass one without looking in it.

* Refusing to have pictures taken I get angry if people try and won't stop.

* Wearing excessive clothing, makeup and hats to camouflage the perceived flaw

* Using hands or posture to hide the imagined defect Yep.

* Frequently touching the perceived flaw I'm doing it right now with a shit breakout on my jaw from tane.

* Picking at one's skin Yeah.

* Frequently measuring the imagined or exaggerated defect

* Elaborate grooming rituals

* Excessively researching about the perceived defective body part Most of my time is spent researching about it or about accutane stories etc.

* Seeking surgery or other medical treatment despite personal opinions of others and recommendations of doctors that the flaw is minimal or doesn't exist or that treatment is unnecessary Im on accutane for mild acne. Enough said.

* Seeking reassurance about the perceived defect or trying to convince others that it's abnormal or excessive I often ask friends or family if a breakout is particularly bad or noticeable/

* Avoiding social situations in which the perceived flaw might be noticed All the time.

* Feeling anxious and self-conscious around others (social phobia) because of the imagined defect Yes.

FFs.. i need to stop diagnosing myself with everything on google.

Wow...

"Frequently comparing the flaw in appearance with that of others "...that's why I STARE at guys with great skin!

Look at my avatar...I am staring at you..hehe!

What are the signs and symptoms of schizophrenia?

* Sleep problems

* Social isolation

* Hyperactivity or inactivity

* Inability to concentrate

* Hostility

* Paranoia

* Unusual emotional reactions

# Hallucinations: sensations that are heard, seen, smelled, or felt that a person experiences while others do not. The most common hallucination is auditory – hearing voices talking negatively about the person or sometimes giving commands for dangerous behavior; however, not everyone with schizophrenia hears voices

# Disrupted thoughts and behavior: trouble concentrating and maintaining a train of thought (conversation might not make sense-may respond to queries with a seemingly completely unrelated answer; or sentences that start with one topic and end somewhere completely different); unpredictable or erratic behavior, including pacing or rocking, depersonalization, or behavior inappropriate to the situation

# Grossly disorganized behavior: inability to perform goal-directed tasks often resulting in daily living challenges; unpredictable agitation or silliness; behaviors that appear bizarre and lack purpose; social disinhibition, or the inability to suppress impulsive behaviors and emotions

* Deterioration in personal hygiene

* Unusual sensitivity

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/schizophre...mptom.htm#signs

I will occasionally show all of these symptoms. I even have schizophrenia in my genes (my grandmother is a paranoid schizo and my mother has some schizophrenic tendancies)

Still, despite all that, I probably am not schizophrenic. :)

I do agree that self-diagnosis via the net can be very worrisome. Check with a doctor, they can get you on meds to help you out if this is what you really have. Mental diagnosis shouldn't be made lightly, and should you have have BDD (or Acne Dysmorphia), then it would be even more important that you definatly get the help you need!

What truly worries me is that (i know i shouldnt trust internet diagnosis) i have taken multiple tests and all have identified me as having Generalised Anxiety and BDD, and the way i feel actually matches the descriptions of both disorders exactly.

But i'm a student paramedic and worried that confirmation by a doctor of some kind of mental illness will end up with me being kicked off of my course..

It shouldn't. Besides, if all you do right now is go to a certified therapist/psychiatrist/doctor and have THEM test you, they can't tell your school, your family, or your job.

Confidentiality laws prevent them from doing that.

If you really are worried (and you are), you should go to a proffesional and get tested. Many cities have a free mental health center (if you check your local welfare office, they should have information) and if it's not free, it can be done on a sliding scale fee. I have done this myself when I could not afford private therapy.

The key is to get help and to not let the diagnosis become your excuse. I do have a few diagnosed disorders myself and I had to learn how to work with them, how to make sure that I didn't say "Oh, I'm a BPD (Borderline personality Disorder) or a drug addict, I can't help acting this way."

The true purpose of a diagnosis is to help find a way to recover from it. Never forget that, and never let anyone tell you that any diagnosis you do get is a death sentance, be it to your personal life or career. Nearly any mental diagnosis and a good deal of physical ones have help out there - medical or holistic or through any number of treatments. Even if you do have BDD, you can still live a very full life and live your dreams.

Guest tomblot88

there is something wrong with everyone. Just because acne bothers you, doesn't mean you have a disease

hey man i just took a quiz the other day, it was supposed to be "certified" but apparently i have all kinds of mental problems accordng to it.

but you know what? it's a stupid friggin quiz. no body knows what the fuck is in my head so im sure a damn quiz can't accurately measure my degree of un-disorderliness.

i mean yeah im kind of crazy but im livin with it ;) and that's ok

Psychology is so complex. I think labels, diagnoses of "disorders" often do more harm than good. The labels were created for a reason. They help in talking about things and explaining/learning, can help in treating people, but....keep in mind, all of these "disorders" and their different symptoms are complex. Nobody's mental issues fit neatly in a pretty little box. And, diagnosing someone with a disorder often just makes them think they are mentally unstable, abnormal, etc. and it results in making the problem harder to overcome. A grand majority of people aren't "normal," (hey I guess that means if you are "abnormal," you actually are "normal." Am I confusing anyone yet??) Everyone has problems sometimes, some more than others but....I guess my point is don't get caught up in the labels. Besides which, as it sounds like you already know at heart, self diagnosis by google is more often wrong than not.

I think there are an awful lot of people on this board that would answer yes to all or most of those questions. I think some truly do have BDD, but most of us truly have a large issue and I don't think it is abnormal that it affects many of us so much. It would be great if it didn't matter, but in today's world it does.

This question, "Seeking surgery or other medical treatment despite personal opinions of others and recommendations of doctors that the flaw is minimal or doesn't exist or that treatment is unnecessary," seems like the most definative question with whether you have BDD or not. But, even with this one, I can say yes, and I don't have BDD. I do think I notice my scars more than anyone else, but that's normal. We all know ourselves and our imperfections better than anyone else, and of course they are going to bother us more than anyone else. One doctor told me my scars are so minimal that he wouldn't treat me. Other doctors have told me I have severe scarring. Some people will tell someone that their acne/scarring is no big deal and they barely notice it when really they are lying because they are just trying to be nice or are uncomfortable telling the harsh truth.

And then, most people that have BDD don't know it. They really really think their imperfection is huge. They don't know how distorted their perception is.

Stop worrying and see a doctor if you think you need help. You do sound like you could work on some things to improve your life as you say you have mild acne and it affects you a lot. Just, like I said, don't get caught up in the labels.

I have almost all those symptoms... with both my skin & my nose. My friend thinks im insane and have really bad BDD when it comes to my nose... I obsess over it everyday.. I complain about it everyday.. im always comparing my nose with other peoples noses... I have not wanted to go to school because I was feeling too self concience of my nose, etc... and people who've I talked to about this have been shocked because they think my nose is 100% fine, nothing wrong with it at all. When I see it though, it takes up my whole face. :wall:

I worry over my appearance but I don't think I have BDD. I saw a television program of people with BDD, one girl never ever left the house and had tons of plastic surgery....she wouldn't be filmed though, she was due to have another nose operation which could seriously fuck up her nose because it was so weakened but she still had it.

And one guy would enver take off his sunglasses because he hated his dark circles so much.

I really do feel acne makes us have symptoms of BDD but I'm sure that many of us when clear will be in a much healthier state of mind whereas these people with BDD hated everything about themselves.

Signs and symptoms

* Repeatedly checking the appearance of the specific body part in mirrors or other reflective surfaces Yep. Friends constantly mention i can't pass one without looking in it.

* Frequently touching the perceived flaw I'm doing it right now with a shit breakout on my jaw from tane.

* Excessively researching about the perceived defective body part Most of my time is spent researching about it or about accutane stories etc.

* Seeking surgery or other medical treatment despite personal opinions of others and recommendations of doctors that the flaw is minimal or doesn't exist or that treatment is unnecessary Im on accutane for mild acne. Enough said.

* Seeking reassurance about the perceived defect or trying to convince others that it's abnormal or excessive I often ask friends or family if a breakout is particularly bad or noticeable/

* Avoiding social situations in which the perceived flaw might be noticed All the time.

* Feeling anxious and self-conscious around others (social phobia) because of the imagined defect Yes.

god...those symptoms are describing me!!!! im always searching for stuff on google and giving myself a self diagnoses of stuff lol!

Guest Irish-Oria

Signs and symptoms

Sounds like me :(