Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok....

is anyone here on antidepressants?

just wondered if acne had actually made anyone that ill?

i take an antidepressent called efexor (venlafaxine), not because acne made me depressed, i got depressed over other stuff.... but acne is definitely not helping me get any better.

im on the bp right now but i dont actually believe anything will work. its just about keeping it under as much control as possible. i have major lack of confidence when i have a break out and i can be almost agrophobic. anyway guess everyone with acne is a bit agrophobic.

just wanted to say that if you are really depressed then it might be worth seeing a doctor and getting antidepressents, counselling, psycho-therapy... etc etc, whatever will help you. dont just get more and more depressed and do nothing.

i realise that finding an acne 'cure' is what we all need. but that aint gonna happen. there is NO cure. maybe you need to forget about finding a cure for a while and concentrate on your emotional health. just an idea. also if you have severe acne, maybe you need to learn how to cope with it in the same way that someone with disfigurement or a disability would have to.

thats all for now. take care everyone and talk again soon,

TIM

I was in the past, I was on something called Dothipin(sp?) it didn't really help me IMO, it did give me bad ass headaches tho #-o so I came off them shortly before my GCSE exams in '02.

I went to two psychiatrists when I was high school. All they do is talk to me for a few minutes and write out perscriptions. I would tell them I got bullied, or had trouble with my dad and I didn't fit in and the answer was always "more drugs, more drugs". Useless - if not dangerous to me.

If you're upset because your face is disfigured or get picked on no amount of psychotropic pills is going to change that. The antidepressants will only help is if you have a biological brain disorder like bipolar and schizophrenia. I'm pretty skeptical about depression and ADD as the diagnostic criteria is so vague it could apply to any teenager. Some people just really someone to talk too but I don't think you need a psychiartist or therapist for that.

hey,

2 quick points:

drugs can help relieve physical symptoms of depression.

drugs can help restore 'normal' chemical balance in your brain.

im not pro or anti antidepressents... i think for some people they are a great help though.

you are right in what you said. psychiatrists often just put you on the drugs treadmill. thats how i feel now.

take care,

Tim

hey rachael,

i read what you put and it was helpful so thanx.

you are right... even if i had no acne i would still be depressed. acne isnt everything.

anyway its good you are being positive. im trying but it aint easy. going to the doctor, then the psychiatrist 8-[ then hopefully to a counsellor too. ive been ok at work today... relatively lively anyway.

i cant let anyone close to me either so i know how you feel. i had a gf during the summer but it was really hard. if i had clear skin i was a bit hyper and visa versa. i was a bit erratic shall we say. anyway i guess ill just have to wait. hopefully in a few years ill be ok.

what should i tell my doctor? what treatment is worth trying? surely not more antibiotics??? im really not keen on taking yet more. please someone give me some ideas!

bye for now take care,

TIM

Guest Lylat uk

There is no cure for acne, there is only control. To keep dat control takes on going treatment.

Nicky

as nicky said tim... unfortuantly there aint no cure hun,which ive come to realise cuz i would just think "one day" it will go!! - if only ay 8-[ But yer it is all down to control.

I got well pissed off with my doc's keep trying to fob me off with antibiotics ... creams etc n i told um straight!

At the end ov the day if your feeling like u say... use it to your advantage n tell um,otherwise they will just pass u off

My acne aint real serious serious like but ov its enough to start ro-accutane, either than or me tellin um to do something useful for a change!

excuse my spelling etc.... is bad anyway but worse whem ive had a tot or two

=D> biggrin.gif/ :?

should i ask doctor for accutane?

there is no other treatment the doc has that i want really. retin a and antibiotics are crap.

whats accutane like? i take antidepressants too so wll they be ok together?

please tell me what to do.

TIM

Your best bet is to find you local derm and go see them. That way you can discuss what treatments are best for you.. ro-acctutane maybe being one solution but it all depends your case... how servere etc...

Luckly for me my doc is also a derm and most ppls arnt so thats why i say you'll have to find a derm ,as ordinary doctors carnt perscribe ro-accutane so you wouldnt be able to ask doc's.

If it was the case you started ro-accutane no-one could answer the question "what its like", as it is different for everyone.

As for antidepressents Q i aint sure?

Hope that aint confused you to much... i aint used to this much writing #-o

Keep your chin up hun.. you'll get it sorted smile.gif

this is my first time in this particular forum, some of the guys in the lounge recommended it. now i see y!

i'm going through an emotional crisis. its the end product of years of bottling up how i feel, counter productive coping mechanisms, like someone else said, i've used alcohol and drugs as an escapism to hide my problems. it doesn't work. i've looked to men to build my self esteem, having meaningless one night stands, that doesn't work either, it just devalues you as a person.

i feel kinda empty and alone. cold and numb. i'm going to the doc tomorrow, to talk about coping mechanisms, maybe drugs and therapy, i don't know.

the thing that scares me is i don't know what to say, i don't know why i have these problems, but they are very real. i'm worried about pigeon holing myself as "mentally ill".

Its a scarey world.

any advice?

xxxx

Mentally ill....I doubt it. More like completely normal. May sound like a feminist bitch session...but I think western society does cast women into in impossible position.

I have known very few women who can be go through a lot of sexual partners in disposable encounters and not be damaged by it. I cant offer any explanation as to why that is.

Maybe you feel like you have discovered your own limits by breaching them? I think this is a pretty common way of learning....and isn't that what you are doing? Isn't where you are at right now a place of learning?

My only advice is that I have learnt that there are consequences to every action or decision you make...and I'm not talking just boring moral consequences, there are physical and emotional consequences too. And to be happy you need to be able to differentiate between what you want and what you need...because often they are not the same. So you've had what you wanted and want it no longer...so now ..what is it that you need?