Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I find so much hope on this website. It's my turn to try Accutane. I start this Wednesday (Nov 15). Accutane seems to work wonders for so many people. For about 4 years I have been dealing with mild/moderate acne. I've tried numerous topicals and antibiotics which helped a little. Then I turned 19 and left my midwestern home to attend college on the east coast. I don't know if it was stress or my medication change that triggered this absolute attack, but it was pretty bad. I can't wait to start Accutane. It's late so I'll write more later.

Ok guys, I'm so scared and stressed out. I know that help is on the way but I just can't stop thinking about my skin. Stress is not good for the healing process. I'm not scared of Accutane, I'm scared that my skin won't actually get better. I know its irrational but that's how I feel.

Optimism is the key here. Its just difficult. In my psychology class we talked about how when you believe things will work out for the best they usually do. I talked to my friend who just finished up accutane. She looks great.

The skin is a living breathing organ. Time will help it heal.

I'm taking Vit E and C right now. If anyone has any advice on supplements to take while on Accutane or that are just plain good for the skin please let me know.

Also any favorite face and body washes?

Thanks.

Hi, just wanted to wish you good luck!

Don't worry about it not working, because in the end it WILL work... it cannot not work, really...

I was scared too, when I was on my 2nd month and didn't see much of an improvement, but you just got to be patient, and in fact at the beginning of my 3rd month I started seeing more and more improvement! And got completely clear after 4 months on the drug... I was on a low dose too! 20-30mgs, so don't worry, it will work in the end ;)

Guest been13years

Hi Livi!

The thing about Accutane that I keep hearing is that your skin WILL improve; it's just a matter of time. You're on a course for 4-6 months for a reason, and that reason is that there is a cumulative dosage that will optimize your results.

You're right about optimism though. Thinking positively and having a good attitude won't affect whether Accutane does it's physical thing, but it will definitely help you get through the course in good spirits. And staying stress-free may have something to do with your skin's health in the long run.

Good luck!

I took my first pill today. It was really exciting. Kind of a butterfly feeling after I swallowed it.

Ok, so I have a question for anyone out there. I have a couple little ice pick scars on my checks. I've heard that accutane can actually help fade scars. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this working? Is there some sort of scar treatment that I can use while on accutane?

I think I'll post a little bit about my life here too. Took a crazy difficult art history test today. I thought I was so prepared but I think I missed some stuff while studying. For my sculpture class we took a trip to the art museum. I'm not an art major, but I always end up taking art classes. I should probably minor in it.

Socially things are fine. Can't wait to watch Grey's Anatomy with the girls.

Peace.

Livi

Hi Livi

Just a post to wish you good luck. A great attitude will get you far with the journey.

What is your dosage?

Best

K

Hi Liv

I am doing well -it literally changes hourly. I thought my face looked great today and now it seems that a lot of blackheads (which I generally don't have a problem with) are appearing! I am a little different as I only have very mild acne but I am using accutane for rosacea.

Good luck!

DAY 2

I took my second and third pills today. Not expecting to feel or look different. I do feel a little more tired that usual.

Here's the plan for my regimen.

Morning

Gentle cleanser

20mg Amnesteem

Moisturizer

Vitamin E and C supplements

Evening

20mg Amnesteem

Acne Free Scar Treatment

Mosturize when needed

Day 3

I'm so tired today. I'm not saying that it because of the tane (only 3 days) but I'm just tired. I took a little nap and I never nap.

Christine, an RA, knocked on my door this morning to let me know that her mom was setting up a table of Portugese food in the hallway right outside my door. Sweet. So much better than cafeteria food.

My younger brother is learning how to drive. I'm a little sad that I'm missing this. Oh well. I'll see them at Christmas.

DAY 10

Is it too early for the initial outbreak? My acne is deffinitely getting worse.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope you all did too. I am away from home so I visited friends who were staying in Boston. Great food, fun company, and art. My idea of a good time.

Hey Livi, definitely keep a positive attitude while you're on accutane. Even though your skin will look like crappy at times, just know it'll get better. Good Luck!

Thanks Zippo! Same to you!

DAY 11

I can't believe that things are starting to work so soon but my skin seems to be producing less oil and my lips are already asking for moisture. Amazing.

I've started thinking about Christmas shopping. Any suggestions for gifts for a father?

It's good to hear I'm not the only one nervous about starting out on 40mg. I'm seeing women the same weight as me on 10mg! Anyways, best of luck to you!

It's good to hear I'm not the only one nervous about starting out on 40mg. I'm seeing women the same weight as me on 10mg! Anyways, best of luck to you!

I'm on 10mg.... we started around the same time, so I hope we see some real improvement together! I don't know too much about Accutane treatment, but I'm learning as I go along. I've found that SpectroJel is an awesome cleanser, and a lot of people seem to like Cetaphil moisturizer. it's cheap and cheerful, just right for a student budget (I'm going broke because of my skin.) Good luck!

Heh Pastelprincess! All the best with your treatment. Yeah, I know how it feels to be a poor college student. I have tried Cetaphil but it didn't take my makeup off at night. I use Purpose at night. In the mornings I just use water or a tiny bit of Purpose. Where did you find SpectroJel?

Sweet dreams.

Livi

DAY 16

This must be the initial breakout. There isn't a place on my face that doesn't have whiteheads, blackheads or pustules. The texture is really gross. Argh. I'm frustrated. I know, I know it gets better, but for now my face is gross.

DAY 19

Grrrr. My face is a mess. All I can think about when I wash it is that it feels like sandpaper.

On the up side, I had a really great weekend. I passed on alcohol on Friday night and just hung out with some friends. Saturday night I listened to music while chilling with friends and then we watched "Almost Famous." Amazing movie!

Peace.

DAY 20

I noticed today that my makeup looks better. Usually I put it on in the morning and have to brush powder over the top several times throughout the day to reduce the shine. I haven't done that once today. Less oil equals less shine. That's encouraging.

My appointment to renew my prescription is scheduled for four days after my current prescription will run out. That's a little inconvenient but I'm not worried.

I finally got up the motivation to really start my project in sculpture class. My mother is learning to use her cell phone. Last night she used speakerphone, although I'm sure she had help from my brothers. Wow, my life is just thrilling! I'm going to go to dinner with Emma. Adios.

DAY 21

I'm worried about the way that pimples are healing. A couple look like wierd, slightly raised scars instead of flat red marks. Has this happened to anyone else?

DAY 22

Oh my god! I had a such a fright yesterday. My derm called and left a message on my phone saying that she needed to talk to me about the results from one of my bloodtests. I freaked out. I couldn't call her back because it was after business hours. I was so scared that I would have to stop taking tane for one reason or another. Luckily my friend (who just finished his Accutane treatment and looks great!) calmed me down and told me that his cholesterol went way up when he started college. Cafeteria food and late night pizza will do that. He said they didn't take him off, they just told him to eat healthier. I confess, I've been letting myself eat crappy food. Since your supposed to take Tane with a fatty meal I let myself eat some junk.

Well I called my derm first thing the next morning. She said it was my cholesterol. She was so vague but I'm not off Accutane, I just have to avoid red meat and dairy.

My IB is still nasty. Other than that everything is fine.

DAY 25

My face texture is slightly better. Still breaking out though. I have been using Camellia oil on a couple places on my face. It doesn't make me break out and seems like a good moisturizer. Once all the acne is gone I'll use it all over.

I wish this IB would chill out. My face is such a mess. A friend told me that my face looks better. I don't see it but that was nice of her. If anyone has some advice to help with the IB that would be great.

I'm skipping a pill here and there so that I can make them last a little longer. There are going to be a few days after the perscription runs out but I want to at least take one per day.