Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qozon

doctor suggested retin-a...do it?

Went to my doctor today and he gave me a prescription for Retin-A .05

First of all, my acne isnt really THAT bad. Id say its somewhere between light and moderate, definitely getting better as i get older. Right now im 17, pretty dark complexion (indian), and scar pretty easily. I asked the doctor for something that would fade the scars away and he said Retin-A might not fade scars, but it would smooth out my skin. If you look closely at my forehead for example, theres little tiny bumps. These arent pimples, not exactly sure what to call them. THe problem with the scars comes in because everytime i get a large pimple, it seems to leave a large scar thats darker than my skin tone.

THe problem lies in the fact that I really dont wanna use Retin-A if its gonna make it worse for a long time, because the acne isnt that bad. I just want to improve the skin tone and fade the scars. Except for those problems, i might get a new pimple every 2-3 days, but i never "breakout" with multiple pimples everywhere.

For instance, i can try lemons (ive heard) to fade the scars. However, if Retin-A will improve the acne without too many drastic sideeffects, than im all for it. Additionally, im not sure lemons can smooth out your skin, like the small tiny bumps i was talking about.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks, much appreciated, and if i wasnt clear enough, i can always clarify!

i would use the retin a. it will get rid of those clogged pores and smooth out your skin. i used it befor and liked it.

i would use the retin a. it will get rid of those clogged pores and smooth out your skin. i used it befor and liked it.

i'm Indian too...and Retin a has worked miracles on my skin. It actually has helped with my scars too. The skin initially peels a lot, so the scarring gets faded away.

I had asked my doc for something that will fade me scars, and he gave me retin a ...so I think it helps with scars too!

i'm Indian too...and Retin a has worked miracles on my skin. It actually has helped with my scars too. The skin initially peels a lot, so the scarring gets faded away.

I had asked my doc for something that will fade me scars, and he gave me retin a ...so I think it helps with scars too!

k thanks for the help...i think ill go through with it.

Can you suggest anything that will reduce peeling? Should i use a moisturizer?

k thanks for the help...i think ill go through with it.

Can you suggest anything that will reduce peeling? Should i use a moisturizer?

Moisturizer is absolutely necessary! Apply moisturizer after about 10mins of applying the retin-a-micro.

And use SPF during the day, as retin-a-micro makes your skin very sensitive to the sun.

One more thing...How bad is the initial breakout/purging?

Because winter break is coming up in a month and I can wait until than because i REALLY do not want to go to school with a massive breakout. Otherwise, thankgiving (5 day break) is also coming up, and i could use it then. just need to know how long the initial purging/breakout stage lasts...

I broke out about four weeks in. It was about six spots (no cysts thank god, but I did get one of those two weeks in), and they all went away rather quickly. I had gotten one or two blemishes on RA before then, but that big bunch was what I considered to be my IB. I have a big problem with red marks, and only about three of them left visible marks. It wasn't as bad as I was anticipating.

oh god...i am so scared now....

on a sidenote, i believe the doctor prescribes Retin-A, not Retin-A Micro.

Ugh, i think i have a LOT of buried pimples because like i said, my forehead is filled with tiny bumps, which i think are just pimples waiting to happen sooner or later.

strawberryshortcake, how long is "rather quickly"? Sorry if im asking for you to be too exact lol.

UGH.

However, my sister was prescribed some differin...maybe try using this for a bit? Man i just dont want to breakout...maybe i should just wait until summer...

strawberryshortcake, how long is "rather quickly"? Sorry if im asking for you to be too exact lol.

I keep a photo log, so I just checked. Approximately a week and a half to two weeks for everything to go away. I guess that's not really "rather quickly" but it seemed quick at the time. I'd say the majority of it, except for maybe two spots, was gone in about a week. Which for me is pretty good, as I sometimes get cysts that sick around FOREVER.

There's some good pinned info on the IB at the top of this forum topic. It helped me a lot.