Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowphaze

White spots on fingernails

I was talking to a doctor at my school, and he said the average person with acne also has white spots/lines

on their finger nails. He said if you have the white on your finger nails, you are deficient in many vitamins,

he gave me a list, and when you're deficient in these vitamins, acne is caused. He said once you start

getting these vitamins back at a normal state, the white on the fingers go away, and so does acne. I found

this kind of odd, so I was wondering how many of you have the white spots on the finger nails?

I have white spots on....3 of my fingernails. Usually when I get them they last until my nail grows out..then they're gone. Then I'll randomly get them again out of nowhere. Do you know what vitamins were lacking in if we have white spots?

what kind of whitespots? are they supposed to be in the middle of the nail or is it top part of the nail where it connects to the skin.

Well the ones I have are just in random spots on the nail...not the lighter color at the base of your nail and not the white tip either. They're like little lines or spots of white.

Cheese, they can be anywhere on the nail. They are just small white spots, there can be 1 or 2, or a lot.

Aubrey, yes, they are random at different places. When you look at your nails and see any kind of

white speck/spot, you are deficient in some kind of vitamin, depending on how long you've had them.

If you rarely get 1 or 2, you are probably okay, but if you've had them appear/disappear for months/years

at a time, you are deficient in something.

As far as vitamins, he told me:

1. Zinc

2. Lacking calcium

3. Liver Vitamins A, D, E, K

4. Body tissue Vitamin E

5. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)

He gave me in order of priority and importance in reference to acne/fingernails.

i used to have white spots on my fingernails, like years ago. i thought i got soap stuck under them or something lol. but i didn't have acne back then. i started getting acne a little over a year ago, by the time i got acne i didn't have white spots on my finger nails.

I've had white spots on my nails for as long as I can remember...I think. They dissapear and reappear in different spots though...I don't really take much notice. Did your doctor say what foods or whatever is best to replace the vitamins that we're lacking?

White spots on ones findernails are caused by a zinc deficiency. People with a zinc deficiency may also have dry flakey skin and be prone to catching colds. I have acne and no white spots on my skin. I dont think theres a big correlation.

hmm...well I've had white spots for a long time. and I'm not very prone to catching colds...I probably get sick less than most people.

I probably just jinxed myself :doh:

The condition of your fingernails can tell you something in your body is not right. There are a LOT of medical conditions that can change the color of your nails, put cracks in your nails, and spots in your nails. It isn't necessarily vitamin deficiency.

White spots on ones findernails are caused by a zinc deficiency.

Yes. The conventional wisdom (what I've heard all my life) is that those white spots are caused by a zinc deficiency. HOWEVER, I don't know just how accurate that claim is. I certainly wouldn't go taking large amounts of zinc for that reason. I recommend that everybody take a zinc supplement for nutritional "insurance", but it should be a modest one, preferably as part of a complete vitamin/mineral supplement.

Bryan

Cheese, they can be anywhere on the nail. They are just small white spots, there can be 1 or 2, or a lot.

Aubrey, yes, they are random at different places. When you look at your nails and see any kind of

white speck/spot, you are deficient in some kind of vitamin, depending on how long you've had them.

If you rarely get 1 or 2, you are probably okay, but if you've had them appear/disappear for months/years

at a time, you are deficient in something.

As far as vitamins, he told me:

1. Zinc

2. Lacking calcium

3. Liver Vitamins A, D, E, K

4. Body tissue Vitamin E

5. Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)

He gave me in order of priority and importance in reference to acne/fingernails.

i have 3 fingernails in my right hand with white spots. interesting. i should have observed my nails when i ran out of zinc, calcium and bee pollen supplements.

The condition of your fingernails can tell you something in your body is not right. There are a LOT of medical conditions that can change the color of your nails, put cracks in your nails, and spots in your nails. It isn't necessarily vitamin deficiency.

It would help if you actually listed these "conditions" without leaving it a mystery.

hmm...well I've had white spots for a long time. and I'm not very prone to catching colds...I probably get sick less than most people.

I probably just jinxed myself :doh:

How healthy you are, and what supplements/vitamins you're deficient/efficient in have really nothing

to do with colds, rarely. Colds are developed by transmission.

come on now this is bullshit this white spots are little bubbles (under the nail)caused by crashes (like sueezng a nail), that is why kids usually have them as they play rough and adults tent not to have them as much. I myself used to have them bad and once i sueezed my finger nail real har (bmx...) and i got like a huge white spot. Its got nuttin to do with viotamins!!

come on now this is bullshit this white spots are little bubbles (under the nail)caused by crashes (like sueezng a nail), that is why kids usually have them as they play rough and adults tent not to have them as much. I myself used to have them bad and once i sueezed my finger nail real har (bmx...) and i got like a huge white spot. Its got nuttin to do with viotamins!!

Wrong. So did you sum all of that up with a 2 minute internet-search? Go do some more research little boy.

no i did not do any researh this is what i heard a thousand times and what seems pretty true cobncerning me

no i did not do any researh this is what i heard a thousand times and what seems pretty true cobncerning me

Right, well, next time you feel like indulging us with your presence, please know what you're talking about,

don't be ignorant, and please for the love of your own self PAY ATTENTION in ENGLISH class. Nobody takes

you serious if you can't spell, and have horrible grammar.

Okay my bad about the reasearch , i still think my enlish is pretty decent considering im not a native speaker

Yes, it's really irritating when people base their experience on the whole world, what occured with them,

will happen to every other person in the world. Pretty stupid.

Why do you spell words incorrectly in one post, then spell it correctly in the next?

First of all, I'd like to apologize to the author of this threat because it hasn't been discussed much ever since i stated my personal experience. Anyways, usually when i write something into a forum I just want to make a point, grammar and spelling are not all that important to me then. Therefore I simply jot down what I think and mistakes occur. Well, let's stop with this now though because I don't want this threat to become a mess. Personally I don't mind people stating their opinions/experiences even if they are not backed up by scientifical studies (I was too imposing though) what I don't like is when threats like this end up trashed because people like me and you have to justify or apologize for what they write. Hope you got my point :P

Physical trauma to the nailbed does indeed have something to do with white spots, but nutritional deficianies can also cause them. Zinc deficiency is known to cause them, and they also appear in liver and kidney disease, but they can also be caused by simple trauma tio the nailbed. I get them occasionally......I work with my hands......I bang my nails on everything, and use them to open packages, clean equipment, etc. I constantly get solvents like cyclomethicones on them. They do take a beating.

Although when I get acrylics or gels over them and then remove them after a several months.....my nails are free of spots for months, no matter how badly I treat them, since the acrylic coating on top prevents injury to the nail and nailbed (although they arent' great for your nails)....I like mine better without them.....

I used to have white spots on my fingernails ALL the time..ever since I was 13 or so they stopped. Either my body chemistry or diet changed, or I stopped banging my fingernails on things by accident...